Energy Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Hari Seldon

Re: Energy Technology

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:03 am

The Suul'ka eat sentients (see Zuul section of Empire, Admiral, Fleet dice game thread). So the power source after AM's 100% matter-to-energy ... starts getting painful for us, and maybe even the Vitalist Universe in SotS.

Though it would be interesting what powers the Node Space energy beings ...

How about Node Space ramscoops! For the Zuul, since that would probably make the universe scream just like the Rip Bore ...
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Umbral Reaver

Post by Umbral Reaver » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Has anyone said 'no tier above antimatter'?

That line was 'no magic tier above antimatter'.

There might be something up there that's still secret for now, based on some more or less reasonable speculative science.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Yes, Mecron has mentioned repeatedly (like here, here, here, here and here) that there will be no ZPM or Quantum or Singularity or Vacuum energy or whatever power sources. You just don't get any better than direct 1:1 matter annihilation.

However Mecron has also mentioned repeatedly (like here) that there will be all sorts of new refinements and uses that will spring out of your Energy Research. So while there might not be a whole new "era" above AM, there will still be new things to research. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

jp161

Post by jp161 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Nspace wrote:*snip*(like here, here, here, here and here)*snip*

I thumbs up you! :thumbsup:

SerinMaldy

Post by SerinMaldy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Wave Amplification tech.

I see the option to selected it on the AM drive section and I do, but it doesn't directly effect power outage, thus my riders and other AM power related items, like platforms, do not get an energy increase.

I do see an option in the sectional where I can get a better energy output item but that doesn't help over all as it then takes valuable crew or supply space.

From what I can see ship design, rider design, and platform design are set to only allow enough power for the very low level beams and torpedos.

For example, I make a Torpedo platform: 4 AM torpedoes, 4 phaser pulsed beams, 4 missile launchers. My Supplies are insufficient (to many missiles/torpedoes), my energy is to low for that many torpedoes and beams, and my crew levels is off as well. So, the only thing open for me at almost maxed tech trees in energy, torpedoes, and warheads is to....put photon torpedoes, X-Ray lasers, and 3 Missiles with 1 larger X-ray Beam. That keeps me with a Need/Available ratio so my Platform will function at peak efficiency. I guess there is not reason to develop past the basic tech in those area for platforms and riders and you can't put what you research on them even though you are suppose to have Huge Capacitors and Advance Energy Outputs.

I guess I will have to find the values in the HTML files and change them to be more realistic.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44 pm

or you could relax and wait for the bug to be fixed.

SerinMaldy

Post by SerinMaldy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:28 am

I could relax but I am getting into the game so I want it to work now. I am not criticizing just relaying what I find and how I fix it.

As it stands right now all section/modules are balanced and working fine with all races after I modified them. No more 1/0 crew required or 102 / 85 energy required.

It took some time to modify all the files and load and reload the game to see that everything was working fine and it is. When you post the next patch I will look at and compare what I have done verse what you have done and see if it works to my expectations.

Once again I am not angry, upset, or annoyed. I know you are all working on this game and it is still technically in beta format and the final version isn't complete. I just tend to modify or alter all the games I purchase to accommodate my play style. And, No. :) I don't just make my side godly, invincible, or easy win. I just tend to see things differently as a programmer then most and can identify areas that I feel could use improvement.

Keep up the good work.

thrawn2187

Post by thrawn2187 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 pm

I've noticed the plasma focusing tech has a 0% chance to be discovered by anyone. is that a bug or something that was intentional for a reason i'm not aware of.

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Sun May 06, 2012 9:50 pm

I believe the answer is "It's not ready yet."

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Mon May 07, 2012 12:33 am

That Schmuck wrote:I believe the answer is "It's not ready yet."

Or "you can't handle the truth!"
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Nall White

Re: Energy Technology:plasma focusing

Post by Nall White » Tue May 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Continued from viewtopic.php?f=52&t=31537, just curios to what this tech gives you? Thanks.
I'm NOT a cat!

Darkwing dack

Post by Darkwing dack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 pm

When you reserch Antimatter. You create technology to store antimatter and use its huge power, or do you upgrade already existing technology to state when it can be installed on spaceship? What I meen is that we have been using Nuclear power for 50 years, but we still fly in space by using chemical rockets.
P.S. Sorry for my English

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:44 am

Darkwing dack wrote:When you reserch Antimatter. You create technology to store antimatter and use its huge power, or do you upgrade already existing technology to state when it can be installed on spaceship? What I meen is that we have been using Nuclear power for 50 years, but we still fly in space by using chemical rockets.
P.S. Sorry for my English

We can already produce antimatter, at this very moment if decided we wanted it. It is however very expensive and drains a lot of power, and we can't even contain it properly.
So you can be quite sure it is a matter of being able to produce it practically and have the means to contain it.

We use chemical rockets to get into space. If we were to build a ship in some sort of space dock, chances are we would either be using ion drives, star wind sails or nuclear drives. Of those three only the latter is practical for 'short' journeys in the Solar system. Heck, even a Fusion Rocket was planned in the 70s.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Was your enemy using energy weapons? Absorbers don't have any effect if they only get hit with ballistics.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Lostchaos

Post by Lostchaos » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 am

One type of energy generation that while theoretical is based on real science its called quarkium and its is made out of subatomic particles known as quarks. Now to get quarkium you need one flavor(the theorist that explained the subatomic paritcal called the four different types of quarks as flavors) of quark in a magnetic containment field. To give an idea of how powerful quarkium is theorized to be a pound of it in a warhead could take out the whole earth. Also on explosions topic an explosion is by definition a high end energy release in a small area so if fusion reactor lost containment of its mini star you would get a high end energy release or in other words an explosion.

Return to “The Tech”