Torpedo Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Azrael Ultima

Re: Torpedo Technology

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat May 07, 2011 9:33 am

Not to mention that the ship has to turn to target anyway, whether it leads or not. Might as well try and actually put some effort into hitting. Even strafe mounts try to lead the target, so that excuse doesn't work.

And if you're trying to hit DEs with direct fire torpedoes, you might want to rethink your tactics.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sun May 08, 2011 4:19 am

I think turreted direct fire torpedoes because they, literally, are in SotS 1. Ever fought a Silicoid Queen? ever get hit by those photonic torpedoes she spits out of her mouth inside her head which moves independently of the main body? we already have 'em in the game, and the Silicoid Queen can hit DE's accurately enough with it.

Not that I'm suggesting we slap silicoid queen heads on our ships....... the Zuul probably would though...
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

jp161

Post by jp161 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:03 am

And when she hits you, how often are you standing still or moving directly at her?

'Cause, you know, those two conditions don't require any kind of leading for the projectile to hit..

If your ship is pointed in the right direction & enemy moves either directly at you or away from you or is standing still.. You'll hit with photonic torpedoes just as well. Be they turrets or fixed mounts.

evil713

Post by evil713 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:19 am

well thats the problem right there, neither of thoes events ever happen pre dread, all battle programming is the same unless your cordinating every move yourself, "everybody go left".

and im the kind of person that likes setting up massive fireing lines. liir spinal mount beamers have better hit ratios than any long range torpedo volley.

if they would just target the front section instead of the middle theres a good chance the volley would hit the engine section.

and yes they are spinal mounted, but what military dosent teach there gunners to lead a target?

if there was anything wished was carried with the homeworld people is there flight formations, it would be so useful if you coulf lock the posisitions of your ships and then have that formation pivit to fight the enemy head on.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun May 08, 2011 9:45 am

yes you do realize that HW faked all that movement, right? It was not a phyics based engine.

evil713

Post by evil713 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 pm

yes i know, but....

hm, i was just going to make refrence to modern nave fleet ships staying in formation for all there turns and cource corrections but i just remembered there really has not been a modern on modern ship fight yet.

well id still like a formation lock instead of blobs of ships. when dealing with purpuse built ships it gets annoying when your ships are not there to either A protect them or B get out of the way.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun May 08, 2011 7:41 pm

If you can get ships where you want them in in the patter you want thm in sots prime already then you have more issues than not recognizing oceans are not space.

evil713

Post by evil713 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:21 am

yes i can get ships in patterns, thats how they start off.

i want the pattern to TURN. i put ships i want to soak up damage in front and offside of the ships i want to use to melt faces with. if my enemy turns to my right (which it always does) i dont want my starboard PD frigates being roasted by my blaze crusers.

as for your space coment, were not even in space, were in freaky elastic one planet to rule them all land. "oh my enemy is going above me, i should immediatly bring my ship nose up to follow and, to blow my enemies mind, at the last second before my main guns are in arc, go nose down for NO EXPLICABLE REASON WHATSOEVER! my enemy will be all 'this captian is Crazy, why am i even here fighting these people.' and ill be like ' you better run, or ill totally punk you again.'"

lisen, i know im being emo ranty, but i see this happen all the time in spaceship stratigic games where there are actuall firearcs in 3d space. it all comes down to the thought that in space, you are a submarine. if we go up or down, we must do so verticly and horizontaly, because not only is gravity parrell to the floor, but we never invested in seatbelts. because we like thinking that the center of our ship is x0 y0 z0 our center of gravity must also be there, and even thought our thrusters are minute in comparison to out main engine, they have equal force as it.

O.R.B., Homeworld, EVE, Nexus, Sword of the Stars, Sins of a Solar Empire, star trek online they all do it, and for the same two reasons; because its simpler to track and program, and be cause it looks cool and neat when there all lined up.

its 2011, a 2 grand comp boutght today will be 900 next year in parts if your lucky, we are brimming in power that has no good purpous but to entertain us. everyone in this forum is either greedy, powermad, or both. you set a wall for us we will either parkour over it or blast through it, because we can.

while im here i also want a disrupter torpedo baised on the inertial cannon tech. shoot somthing and have it stop dead is space.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Mon May 09, 2011 7:21 pm

evil713 wrote:yes i can get ships in patterns, thats how they start off.

i want the pattern to TURN. i put ships i want to soak up damage in front and offside of the ships i want to use to melt faces with. if my enemy turns to my right (which it always does) i dont want my starboard PD frigates being roasted by my blaze crusers.

Shift-right-drag

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 pm

nickersonm wrote:
evil713 wrote:yes i can get ships in patterns, thats how they start off.

Shift-right-drag

It doesn't quite have them maneuver in formation but rather individually move to their position in the formation in its new location and facing - rather than for example wheeling as a unit to arrive in their new position/facing.

I would like line ahead and line abreast maneuvering (or the like) - where each ship would follow the actions of a designated leader vessel - line ahead allows for some interesting tactics with broadside favoring ships. having each ship maintain their position and facing relative to a designated leader ship would make maneuvering formations easier and less micro-intensive - all you would have to do is order the movement of the lead ship and the others would follow along.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon May 09, 2011 9:13 pm

and then magically it happens at exactly the speed you are imagining in your head. :thumbsup:

MaHuJa

Post by MaHuJa » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:29 pm

kdonovan wrote:It doesn't quite have them maneuver in formation but rather individually move to their position in the formation in its new location and facing - rather than for example wheeling as a unit to arrive in their new position/facing.

Actually, if you're not double-clicking (which gives you the blinking double-chevron destination markers) they tend to try keep formations - even as they turn. Which often gets in the way of turning quickly to where the enemy is approaching from. And they'll keep the same speed - capped at the slowest ship.

Direction and formation direction didn't update together, though.

I do kinda support the idea though - your destination is HERE relative to that ship's position and direction. Then let the ships themselves sort out the rest. And using a very fast ship as the formation lead might be a bad idea.

One idea I came up with was for my PD DEs to use friendly-targeting on the ship it was to protect, and the "approach close" order. The medium mount was fitted with red lasers, though I would have preferred not even that.

Yaotzin

Post by Yaotzin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:18 am

Will one be able to make dedicated torpedo bombers in SotS2? I found it pretty disappointing that I couldn't do real torpedo spam in SotS :( I love shooting balls of plasma at stuff from far away :D

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 am

No torpedo spam? For example a Liir Assault/Barrage cruiser gets 5 tubes, so almost 1 per CP.

I think, that is spam. Or do you thought of something different?

amtie

Post by amtie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:06 pm

I thought DE Torpedo Spinals were torpedo bombers.

Return to “The Tech”