Command, Control and Communication Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
amtie

Re: Command, Control and Communication Technology

Post by amtie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:53 am

Isn't there that fundamental requirement of being attached to a gravity well? Assuming the micro-gate technology is the same as the full-size one.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:49 am

If micro-gates are used for FTL communication with warships in deep space, it probably doesn't apply. A gate small enough to transmit a few particles/photons at a time apparently doesn't have the same need for a gravity well as a gate large enough to admit an entire ship.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:02 am

Remember that every object has gravity. The ship it's installed on is a gravity well simply by virtue of it existing.

Since these gates are far smaller than ship gates, that's probably enough to get them to work.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 pm

The communication micro-gates don't handle anything with mass; they transmit only radio or light or something. Therefore, micro-gates need far less power and have much relaxed requirements on their interaction with grav wells.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Exactly. This last one is for free amtie...think what the term "micro" means BEFORE asking a question. If it take a grave well the size of a planet to open a starship sized connection...the you are pretty safe in assuming a connection point the "size" of a radio wave requires a correspondingly micro grav well...like say, the one generated by a 1000 tons of alloyed steel and electronics.

amtie

Post by amtie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:56 am

Yeah, I haven't read any of the SotS 1 tech forums... Something to do with being late to the game and around 45 pages worth of forum posts in each thread.

But thanks for that info, Mecron. :D

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:07 am

The only question I have is will there be Admirals that can field more ships then the norm and Admirals that are fairly "incompetent" and therefore field less ships then the norm do to the inability to command multiple ships?

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:01 pm

A speculation about unique Intelligence missions for Hivers:

Can Hiver Caster Gate Stations and above teleport disposable and very small sensor probes (the smaller something is, the less Gate Network Capacity it uses) so that every turn the Hivers could try to get system defense layout data for all systems their Gates can Cast to? I heard that every Naval mission may need a commanding Admiral, but what if this was part of the Intelligence missions you might get?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:16 am

go outside and play, hari

Jarix

Post by Jarix » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:07 am

I had a great deal of fun swapping in and out fleet segments after it became possible to use the CnC ship as the warp in locus. Will this still be possible?

Also, will it be possible to assign quick numbers to the reserve portion of the fleet? (in the manage fleet page?)

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 am

Considering that the battlefield is no longer abstracted the reinforcement mechanic from prime won't be back in SotS2 your entire fleet will be deployed into battle including your support ships.

Warder

mistervec

Post by mistervec » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:12 pm

I *REALLY* like the idea of the entire fleet being out and about on the mission map, rather than being abstracted out.

So, hypothetical scenario: An enemy fleet attacks one of my systems. This fleet consists of several line ships and several planetary assault ships.

In SotS1, my oponent could keep his/her fragile, shuttle-spewing planetary assault ships in reserve and use his/her line ships to punch through my planet's defenses. In order to prevent the assault ships from doing their thing, I had to destroy every single line ship in their reinforcement queue first. If my system's only defenses were satellites and, say, a small destroyer fleet, that planet was pretty much toast, even if help was only one turn away.

In SotsII, will I be able to attempt to outflank his line ships and engage the more dangerous assault ships using my SDB's or small defensive cruiser force?

Not saying that it would be easy, mind, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun to try.
This message brought to you by:

Mister Vec's Magical Space Haberdashery

"It is cold in the dark depths of space. Remember to wear a hat."

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 am

indeed :thumbsup:

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:52 am

Or perhaps you could sneak your ships into the "back line" and ka-boom all their support ships, which would reduce their ability to repair and refuel things at the very least while you wait for reinforcements...

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:39 pm

This seems to be the place for it, so what is currently nagging at my mind: What is the point of AI Autonomy vs. AI Slaves? (Aside from being nicer.) Based on the information the wiki has available, AI Slaves does the same thing Autonomy does, but without halving the benefits you get from AI techs. And then you can get Autonomy from Slaves, when it's only effect will be to halve your AI bonuses? This seems rather counter-intuitive.

Return to “The Tech”