Political Science Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Mecron
Kerberos

Political Science Technology

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Your place to post questions, observations and comments on Political Science Diciplines/Techs and their tree in Sword of the Stars II.

evil713

Re: Political Science Technology

Post by evil713 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:11 am

ok, i'l give, what is political science in Sots ][?

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:08 am

I would guess it will be along the lines of upgrades and/or modes which can be applied on planets in order to manipulate morale and possibly priorities (trade, industrial output, public order, population growth/control) of planets

I can't imagine it as a really huge tree, but I must say it seems like a logical addition to the techs, especially since sots2 is supposed to be a tad more "intimate" in terms of the finer details of things (solar systems and such)
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I could also see it tying in with Xeno-tech... xeno helps you talk to them, politics give you something to talk about. Maybe. Maybe not.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:34 am

There's also potentially the possibility of your own political choices affecting the capabilities of your empire. Let your people vote and say what the want and they'll be loyal to you as long as they aren't upset with you, but on the other hand you get a boost to funding which can really serve Suuley what for!

However, given talk about how it's all based on the choices you make in game, it makes sense that while you could perhaps emphasize some of these boosts with technology, or even address the deficits, most of that sort of thing will be handled invisibly...or if it's visible, it's an indicator and not a slider. Not that there's anything wrong with sliders...

Still, there's probably a lot of room for political theory to break through and affect things. For instance, on the nature of provinces and the effect they'll have on gameplay. Likely there's benefits involved in taking control of an entire province, and maybe a few things you can do to push a rival out of your province short of actual war. Propaganda, trade, subversion, that sort of thing.

We can all speculate on these things but unless and until we get some solid answers on this, it's all shots in the dark. Entertaining shots hopefully...but blind ones. With...maybe the occasional target down-range shouting "Marco!". :wink:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:27 pm

The poli-sci tree consists of some parts of the old xeno tech tree, some parts on province development and some espionage related techs.

Connll

Post by Connll » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:30 pm

How espionage is going to be handled in SoTS2?
Strength and Honor.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm foreseeing a separatist Zuul clan offering their "persuasion" services to the highest bidder...

Hamann

Post by Hamann » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm guessing the mission system.
Hannster on Steam
Nubirak on most MMOs

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Ah, good, I was looking forward to spies and espionage. I did so love stealing tech from everybody in Master of Orion...

That probably won't work in SotS II, though. Since we now have Admirals, Espionage will probably be more like assassinations, theft of imperial savings, sabotaging infrastructure and inciting rebellions. It would be much easier to insert spies in systems that have a lot of traffic (i.e, trade), or that don't have police cutters or large standing fleets, or systems with multiple races on one planet (easier to blend in, because if your a different race than your target and he has only one race, good luck not being noticed).
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:40 pm

Setokaiva wrote:Ah, good, I was looking forward to spies and espionage. I did so love stealing tech from everybody in Master of Orion...

That probably won't work in SotS II, though. Since we now have Admirals, Espionage will probably be more like assassinations, theft of imperial savings, sabotaging infrastructure and inciting rebellions. It would be much easier to insert spies in systems that have a lot of traffic (i.e, trade), or that don't have police cutters or large standing fleets, or systems with multiple races on one planet (easier to blend in, because if your a different race than your target and he has only one race, good luck not being noticed).

Unless you manage to hire somepeople who are from the other empire...

adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:30 am

i hope this tree has some of "the usual chatty unrealistic fluff you find in 4X"

or at least more diplomacy options. tech trading/planet or border trading/subjugation/gifts/ maybe even race specific tech options if they REALLY REALLY like you.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 am

Well we know there will be more diplomacy options, I dunno about chatty unrealistic stuff. Maybe just chatty realistic stuff instead. ;)

I doubt we will see hard techs as gifts and definitely not race-specific techs. Science missions are here to stay for tech trading and this is a good thing; tech brokering is a major balance problem in games that have it. Planet gifting would have to be handled in a similarly cautious fashion if it were to be included at all. IRL, it's very rare for a nation to voluntarily cede territory for any reason other than as part of a peace treaty; that's the only circumstance I'd think it should reasonably be allowed in SotS2.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:13 pm

ZedF wrote:Well we know there will be more diplomacy options, I dunno about chatty unrealistic stuff. Maybe just chatty realistic stuff instead. ;)

I doubt we will see hard techs as gifts and definitely not race-specific techs. Science missions are here to stay for tech trading and this is a good thing; tech brokering is a major balance problem in games that have it. Planet gifting would have to be handled in a similarly cautious fashion if it were to be included at all. IRL, it's very rare for a nation to voluntarily cede territory for any reason other than as part of a peace treaty; that's the only circumstance I'd think it should reasonably be allowed in SotS2.

It used to be rather more, especially when states were seen as the personal property of the sovereign. In the 19th c the US bought land from France (Louisiana), Spain (Florida), Mexico (Gadsen Purchase in addition to stuff after the war) and Russia (Alaska). Ceding land as part of a dowry used to be pretty common. It's only with nationalism and democracy that it has become uncommon.

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:49 am

Hahaha.... so we get to be greedy merchant federation bastards and literally buy up all our enemies' planets? :twisted:
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Return to “The Tech”