Political Science Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
jp161

Re: Political Science Technology

Post by jp161 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Funny really, here I thought walmart and mcdonalds were *mainly* an US-thing. Especially the walmart part...

Not that the rest of humanity aren't brainwashed, but walmart... Haven't ever even seen one in-person so ;)

Anyhow, I would expect every race being possible to be "thought controlled". In what way, I can't say but I wouldn't count anyone out.

Whether it'll be possible in SotS 2, I would actually find that a bit doubtful. With the different government types, I would think something *along those lines* would be possible, but to actually literally brainwash a whole population... Now that's a scary thought, even if it were only in a game.

Something like "a thought police" sounds much more likely, if not actually any less scary.

Then again, there's already the Zuul male's control over Zuul female's...

Will each race/faction start with the same (neutral) position in the government type-chart, is it randomized per race/faction or does each race/faction always start at some particular type?

While I might imagine the Morrigi and Tarka (and mayhaps the Suul'Ka) to be pretty slow on changing their government types within SotS 1&2 timeline, pretty much everyone else could go one way or the other.
Hivers are a bit of an odd duck though, can't really imagine them having ANY other government type than what they currently have...

Oh, Ark of Truth, anyone? :roll:

xRei

Post by xRei » Wed May 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Mecron wrote:Is convincing a kid that the moon is NOT made of cheese mind control? ;)

It is if its a hiver kid. That's just /mean/. D:
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Walmart certainly isn't worldwide... they actually left germany because they couldn't get a foot on the ground there.
McDonald's is a bit more pervasive i think.

But that's beside the point since you could easily find other companies to substitute for just about everywhere they have ads.

Mecron wrote:Is convincing a kid that the moon is NOT made of cheese mind control? ;)

Hum. For simply forcing it, i'd be inclined to say yes, to a degree.
If you're merely making an argument, no matter how good, and the kid chooses to believe you, then no.
Of course, that choice might have been due to a separate case of mind control, but that wasn't the question.

Also, i think it would be much meaner to convince a hiver that the moon is, indeed, made of cheese.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

xRei

Post by xRei » Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:Walmart certainly isn't worldwide... they actually left germany because they couldn't get a foot on the ground there.
McDonald's is a bit more pervasive i think.

That was more or less my point, yeah. The companies I quoted aren't really important, it's the idea behind it.

Azrael Ultima wrote:Also, i think it would be much meaner to convince a hiver that the moon is, indeed, made of cheese.

I guess I would see it as taking away their hopes and dreams.. Like telling a young child that Santa Claus doesn't exist.. While the other side of it might spark wonder and motivation.

"I always wanted to join the Hiver navy because I wanted to visit the moon; I thought it was made of cheese." xP

Maybe im just being silly though!
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Imagine the ridicule a human aspiring to be an astronaut would get for that.
While on the other side, one might be disappointed for a while, but that's about the extent of what happens. Maybe it even gets him or her to question their other believes that seem a bit off.
Just blindly believing is always a bad thing, at least get yourself a reason.

Of course, in some cases you lose no matter what... like with those that believe the world to be only six thousand years old.
No matter which side you choose to believe, there will be someone on the other side who would make fun of you, given the opportunity.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 pm

making a repeated argument, reasoned or not, to a 5 year old IS controlling them. This is how your parents kept you out of traffic and from sticking your tongue in light sockets. ;)

Just making a point folks that you make a big "oooooooh" over mental hygene when it takes a direct route and ignore that humans alter the thoughts of their children constantly...in a clumsy, error filled way, but the intent and result is most often exactly the same.

RELee

Post by RELee » Thu May 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Mecron wrote:making a repeated argument, reasoned or not, to a 5 year old IS controlling them. This is how your parents kept you out of traffic and from sticking your tongue in light sockets. ;)

Just making a point folks that you make a big "oooooooh" over mental hygene when it takes a direct route and ignore that humans alter the thoughts of their children constantly...in a clumsy, error filled way, but the intent and result is most often exactly the same.

Oh, so you think that my parents kept me from playing in traffic and sticking metal objects (tongue doesn't fit) in the light socket with repeated arguments? :bangdesk:

It took a bit more effort to control me is all I'm saying.

Love the concepts in the game, however. Looking forward to it.

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Thu May 05, 2011 2:17 pm

dunno, RELee, probably took something a bit more uh, 'forceful' is what it sounds like to me...

;)

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sat May 07, 2011 2:28 am

Sounds good to me about the excluded areas... it's standard non-aggression pact stuff. You are in effect 'drawing the line in the sand', and stating there will be severe and forceful repercussions if the other party does not honor the agreement by staying on his/her side of the line.

By the way... RELee's picture looks like some ornery kid... always plotting... plotting... drawing up war plans... to make his way to the cookie jar. I envision the parents barricading themselves in the kitchen and this kid MacGuyver tearing his way through with a lampstand battering ram on a toy wagon.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Sat May 07, 2011 4:01 am

Setokaiva wrote:Sounds good to me about the excluded areas... it's standard non-aggression pact stuff. You are in effect 'drawing the line in the sand', and stating there will be severe and forceful repercussions if the other party does not honor the agreement by staying on his/her side of the line.

Of course a line can become a bit tricky when you each own some planets in the same system and the are orbiting around the start with different frequencies... there might be the occasional 'misunderstanding' about where that 'line' is at any given moment.

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sat May 07, 2011 4:54 am

That is when a general border dispute or the like tends to flare up, yes... a very delicate situation, can be so tempting to just take those border worlds you want, but not a good idea if you're looking to avoid full-scale war.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 07, 2011 7:05 am

Rlee's baby pics are da bomb....and he was da bomb in Phantoms!

RELee

Post by RELee » Sat May 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Mecron wrote:Rlee's baby pics are da bomb....and he was da bomb in Phantoms!

I'm sorry, when you say things like this I really don't understand you. I hate you kids' slang talk today.

:bangdesk:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 07, 2011 7:02 pm

that is amazing...you actually found the almost exact same expression on a baby and slab o make up tim curry! I dof my hat to you, sirrah!

RELee

Post by RELee » Sat May 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Right back at cha, longshanks.

Return to “The Tech”