Engineering Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Hari Seldon

Re: Engineering Technology

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:18 am

:) Naw, when I did my attempt at a contribution to the field of fighting the embryonic development genes (that help cells move and grow really fast) that cancer stem cells can reactivate, that got me to the high school International Science and Engineering Fair 2007, that was fun "work" in the summer too! Genes that are turned off in the post-fetal body but reactivated by cancer cells could theoretically be targeted without side effects!

I also wonder whether this muon or tau armor's heavy particle stabilization requirement might also have the side effect of interfering with meson beam targeting, since the location the meson beams release their energy is based on when they decay/destabilize.

And yes Amite, muon-catalyzed cold fusion, though it may cost far more than Polywell Fusion due to needing to produce expensive muons constantly, except in SotS we may have particle stabilization techniques so the muons could be far cheaper (no need for replacements) and practically used at a much smaller scale to produce cold fusion, since they no longer need to be tied to a particle accelerator muon source :).
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:02 pm

yeah....its odd how that work leaves time for endless internet essays and link gathering across the internet. Though I suppose if SotS is the same priority as stem cell research in ones daybook, then there could be enough hours in a day.

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:39 am

I've read general science and science fiction in my spare time since I was a kid. Will have to give that time up in Graduate School :(.

I wonder if admirals can earn logistical experience that helps their ships' engineers do a better job managing and repairing the ships. Oops this turn we have munitions supply problems due to your admiral's low skill!
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Mecron wrote:yeah....its odd how that work leaves time for endless internet essays and link gathering across the internet. Though I suppose if SotS is the same priority as stem cell research in ones daybook, then there could be enough hours in a day.

Wait, aren't you the one making SotS, a 4X game (= sleepless nights and "Just one more turn!"). :roll:
Imagine all the (biology or else) students that are going to fail their exams because of SotS 2! :lol:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:07 pm

yes but being here for you monkeys IS part of the job...

Mortraven

Post by Mortraven » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:07 am

Ah the pain of customer service, eh Mecron?

"NO the CD drive is for CD's NOT holding your cup of coffee!" (Personally had that happen twice as a computer engineer.)

-Mortraven

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:42 am

lol a bit, though kludgy often gets stuck with the tech support. The point though was that while I groove on talking with you folks most of the time, there is just some minutia a sane person would have to get paid to deal with...the fact that some folks can go round and round and round about some stuff PURELY by choice, amazes me in that not good way :twisted:

Franknfurter

Post by Franknfurter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:06 am

it doesn't really surprise me. I enjoy little details in any context... how undead/lifeless/neverhealing works in dominions 3... the absorbancy vs cost efficiency of towel fabrics... different known and potential uses of lysozyme in insects... though speculative fiction is always going to be more interesting. If nothing else for the reason that soon the game will be released and the building anticipation adds to its procrastination value.

You don't procrastinate mid-gaming to think of work, or make a snack and clean the house rather than pressing end turn. But you do avoid essential but enforced duties to think of the pressure free fantasy. There is no pressure on anyone to speculate therefore your brain extends to fill the vacuum when idling... rather like a ballistic wound in space expanding to fill an impresive volume - potentially landing on something useful, like a satellite or industrial idea

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Mecron wrote:lol a bit, though kludgy often gets stuck with the tech support. The point though was that while I groove on talking with you folks most of the time, there is just some minutia a sane person would have to get paid to deal with...the fact that some folks can go round and round and round about some stuff PURELY by choice, amazes me in that not good way :twisted:

Try to run an RPG session... You can't believe how players will stick with the most unrelated things and miss the entire plot of the game... I once had a group who were sure that the mayor of the "sleepy town" they passed through was an evil sorcerer who sucked the citizen health, and that just because I described the place as a "sleepy town"!!!!!!! :shock: 8)

Warder

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:46 pm

:bangdesk: I've had nearly the same thing happen not too long ago too!
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Franknfurter

Post by Franknfurter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:10 pm

I would think of it as a point of pride that this game holds up to such high levels of intense scrutiny. Although the game breaks from reality as much as required for the rule of cool it is done while maintaining internal consistency. As well as levels of details far above and beyond any other game i've played recently in the genres it borders.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:43 pm

We are definetly very proud of the internal consistency of the SotS verse, but one of the ways that is maintained is by NOT going to crazytown in any one direction and bogging down. We like you guys to be grooving at the level of "That fits with that? Oh yeah it does! Cool!" and not "Huh, what research paper should i read now?" ;)

Nekomata

Post by Nekomata » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Heh, some of us burry ourselves in research papers for fun. I can do horrible things to people at work with my brain. :mrgreen: From one of my favorite Robot Chicken sketches:
Teacher: "... results in the imaginary number i."
*kid's head explodes*
Other kid: "I don't get it... wait, now I get it." *head explodes*
This one guy I got to stop for 30 whole seconds with this expression like he had just seen Elvis or something. :bangdesk: Then again I work at Fedex, another guy was completely dumbfounded by the fact that I built my own computer. :?
Violets are blue, Roses are red, we're coming aboard, prepare to eat lead.
Meddle not in the ways of engineers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Franknfurter

Post by Franknfurter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:48 pm

I think part of the problem is this is real science fiction and attracts real science interest. I wouldn't class it with the rest of magical fantasy sci-fi. Sots may be full of interesting technology and unusual aliens but none are used merely as throw-away plot devices. Tv shows and films often lack logic or consistency to such an extent that it's all seen as magical handwaving with more holes than you notice because you stop looking for them. Sword of the stars would make a good film or tv series... maybe it will one day... but as a game it fills a gap that nothing else quite fills. I look forward to hearing any other details and eventually to playing the game, knowing that those tiny details that fit together haven't been thrown in without a thought or added because you need fantasy element x but as an integral part of the world.

There is no shame in following a line of fictional thought. Time on the forums is akin to the journey to and from the cinema, building anticipation and deconstructing the details presented. It's just this trip has taken months and isn't too far away now.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:47 pm

I agree to some level but its that exact line of intellectual snobbery I am not a big fan of. "We are better cause we use more affirmed nouns in our BS stuff".

I love consistency, but consistency can be found in ANY system, magical or otherwise. The difference is in the amount of work in applied imagination you are will to do, not how worn the carl sagan beachware centerfold picture in your wallet it. ;)

Return to “The Tech”