Engineering Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Franknfurter

Re: Engineering Technology

Post by Franknfurter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:49 pm

I don't think consistency is always better and definately not above other priorities, it even constrains some stories that try too hard to attain it. Red Dwarf had almost no consistency but was still a great show, characters changed actors, backstories shifted and a hundred other things... they felt perfectly free to change things to just make a good story.
Startrek lost consistency partially because of elements that were overpowered being resigned to the odd trick but mainly it seemed to be a gradual inevitability of it's immense run length and the different directions writers took it.

Still, I like the consistency of the sots universe... though if a team of writers worked on a tv series or two in a game of thrones style I'm sure consistency would be harder to maintain.

anyway I don't like waving around insulting phrases like 'intellectual snobbery', or slapping with my rod of chastisement... and a feynman photo would beat sagan anyway... though almost any picture would

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:32 pm

Red Dwarf still wins for best technical explanation of stasis. :thumbsup:

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Franknfurter wrote:I don't think consistency is always better and definately not above other priorities, it even constrains some stories that try too hard to attain it. Red Dwarf had almost no consistency but was still a great show, characters changed actors, backstories shifted and a hundred other things... they felt perfectly free to change things to just make a good story.
Startrek lost consistency partially because of elements that were overpowered being resigned to the odd trick but mainly it seemed to be a gradual inevitability of it's immense run length and the different directions writers took it.

Situations like that lead me to think that the best approach is to simply state that nothing should be taken as 100% canon or exactly accurate to what "really" happened. For example, ST:TNG might make more sense if it was explained as all being from Wesley's personal recollection/retelling of events ;)
The other solution is to plan everything out, in advance, behind the scenes so the various writers have a reasonably solid idea of how things are intended to work and what their limitations are. But still, don't dive too deeply into long expositions in-story of how things work and why, or you're bound to set up some critical wallbangers.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:22 pm

the writer's bible for TNG was...depressing...to say the least...though not much of that had to do with tech.

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:18 am

Yeah, there is such a thing as too much information but I was thinking for the Encyclopedia of the Stars:

Polysilicate alloys: sounds pretty much like modern composite armor, but since this is the future I guess this really means simple nanotech like carbon nanotubes, or maybe actually understanding how organometallic bonding works, which we still don't

Magnetoceramic lattices: Iron Man reference?, but may also be the Muon heavy-electron-analogue technology because the next strongest material is:

Quark Resonators: Strong force binding

Of course, fans can always speculate about this if you don't explain :angel:

Like, for example, future Stealth Armor being made of negative index metamaterials over a wide spectrum (very hard to do, monochromatic is much easier)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_index_metamaterials

and plasma radar absorbtion (see History Channel Stealth & Beyond)
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1990sri..reptQ....V
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA250710&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf
Last edited by Hari Seldon on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

amtie

Post by amtie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:17 am

Yeah, using metamaterials that prevent light reflection to coat a ship might be a passive form of cloaking (in the form of an armor placement, like stealth armor).

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:42 am

Except that the ship would still have to dissapate heat buildup somewhere, and engines that glow still glow when in use ...

So more like stealth armor. Especially since metamaterials may not stop scifi FTL sensors like the ones we need on the strategic map. And if deep scan can see through cloaking, how easy would it be to penetrate the non-scifi metamaterials?

:)

Edit:
Mecron wrote:I agree to some level but its that exact line of intellectual snobbery I am not a big fan of. "We are better cause we use more affirmed nouns in our BS stuff".

I love consistency, but consistency can be found in ANY system, magical or otherwise. The difference is in the amount of work in applied imagination you are will to do, not how worn the carl sagan beachware centerfold picture in your wallet it.

Yeah consistency is number one, It's your universe your call, and I try to only post cool technology flavor text fan speculation about mostly proven science/technology BS here to what technology SotS already has (Fusion - Polywell Fusion, Magnetoceramic Lattices - Muon-reinforced armor, though I admit Project Orion may have been not related enough, and the rest in Misc, even if it's totally appropriate for the Liir because I'm not trying to decide what should be in your game. Also, it's not snobbery, it's just being excited about the universe:
Mecron wrote:To amtie (and a couple others chiming in a little more intelligently, but still)...

...A trillion galaxies...a trillion trillion stars...13 odd billion years of growth and evolution...every evidence of life in every tiny crack it can get a hold of...and you, a member of a species of clever talking monkeys thats been in this form for what? 100K? 150 if you want to be REALLY gnerous on dating. And what? We've been write down the difference between our ass and a hole in the ground for a few thousand years at best.

And yet YOU know. You KNOW so well that you feel the right to say what should and shouldn't exist in an damn entertainment product.

Riiiiiiiight.

There is no emoticon large enough to convey the size of the LOL this hubris would deserve if it wasn't so sad.

I GAURANTEE there is shite out in that universe that makes whatever crazy Psi stuff we have made up look like normal day on conservative street.

Forget games. Forget the internet somehow enshrines monkey arrogance. Forget even the ridiculous idea that you can judge something before seeing it.

Just on sheer principle of sense, wonder and of knowing ones place in the universe...

You should be bloody ashamed.

Being a creature of limited imagination doesn't make you smart, doesn't make you a junior scientist and it certainly doesn't let you into the club of people who have done the work...

...it just makes you...limited.

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20288&p=309612

I'm not pushing for anything, I'm just using the forums as something like the shared annotations in the Encyclopedia of the Stars that will be coming out. :thumbsup: If this is not the proper thread for these kinds of speculation and questions let me know. :respect:
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Wyrdfire

Post by Wyrdfire » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:26 am

Red Dwarf still wins for best technical explanation of stasis.

Stoke me a clipper! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0

Can I make a request for Human Admiral or Avatar?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Hari, sometimes thought and imagination is NOT about proving what you read off the internet ;)

Wyrd, sorry all full up right now but maybe as we cruise towards expansion time :thumbsup:

NullDragon

Post by NullDragon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Applied imagination.... is that something I can research, like Applied Science?

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 am

It could be the psi tree...

Vampyre

Post by Vampyre » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:17 pm

I don't know that this is the right place, and if not please correct me, but how the hell do I apply armor to my starships? When I research magnoceramic latices, I expected a checkbox to appear or something that lets me turn it on for some of my starship sections. Nothing.

Is it automatically applied? If so, why didn't I notice a change in the armor number (maybe I missed it)? Why wouldn't I want to be able to decide if I want the additional cost of the newer armor on non-combat vessels? Does it retrofit onto older ships, do I have to do that, or is upgrading the weaponry the only option?

I can't even find magnoceramic latices in the in-game encyclopedia, and I got a 403 forbidden error on the SOTS2 wiki. Given that this is my first post, I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm banned yet.

A little help please?

israelien

Post by israelien » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:28 am

its bugged. you need to wait, probably for a week or two until the dev have fixed more critical issues for it to be enabled.

Ryat

Post by Ryat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Vampyre wrote: and I got a 403 forbidden error on the SOTS2 wiki.

There was an issue with the SOTS2 wiki for a while that day. It works now.
Sins of Solar Empire: Distant Stars http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474

kalanosh

Orbital Dry-Docks

Post by kalanosh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:39 am

Are these something you build?? IF so i can't find them anywhere. Or is it a passive bonus? I am not seeing a decrease in my cruiser costs.

I am probably not understanding it. Thanks for helping!

Return to “The Tech”