Engineering Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
usermist2

Re: Engineering Technology

Post by usermist2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:54 am

amtie wrote:Yeah, using metamaterials that prevent light reflection to coat a ship might be a passive form of cloaking (in the form of an armor placement, like stealth armor).

In SotS, stealth armor is more similar to a stealth plane's: it reduces the ships' radiation/heat signatures, hence why those ships need to be closer to you to be detected. It has never been about making the ships "hard to see". After all, in space there really isn't that much light to reflect off your ships anyways. The distance you would need to be to physically "see" a ship is probably well within ALL of their weapons. Heck, even a Heavy Gauss driver could probably hit a DE that was less than 1/2 lightsecond away...

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Feftfaft

Advanced Dreadnought Engineering

Post by Feftfaft » Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 pm

Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right subforum/thread thingy.

Can someone please tell me what Advanced Dreadnought Engineering does? The description mentions something about incorporating complex systems into a single dreadnought module but don't quite understand what that means gameplay wise.

Maybe my English is too rubbish and I just fail at reading or something but I really want to know what this technology does.

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:01 am

You need it for the electronic warfare command section. Don't know what else it does.

Yaotzin

Post by Yaotzin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 am

In prime you also needed it for the supply DN, since that combines supply and repair functions. Don't remember if it's the same in ][.

Feftfaft

Post by Feftfaft » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:11 am

Thank you for answering.

I researched it and did not get any new sections in the design screen (no supply or electronic warfare sections are listed so I guess these require some additional techs?). I am still wondering what benefits this tech provides on its own though.

EDIT: I just found the tech that provides the supply section for dreadnoughts, it is named Super-Heavy Transports.

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 am

Feftfaft wrote:Thank you for answering.

I researched it and did not get any new sections in the design screen (no supply or electronic warfare sections are listed so I guess these require some additional techs?). I am still wondering what benefits this tech provides on its own though.

EDIT: I just found the tech that provides the supply section for dreadnoughts, it is named Super-Heavy Transports.

Yep for the EW section you need a LOT of other things to activate it.

*Techspoiler*

Advanced Dreadnought Engineering (Engineering), Sensor Jammer (C3), Advanced Sensors (C3), Quantum Chaff (C3)

RazAlgul

Post by RazAlgul » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Weidekuh wrote:
Feftfaft wrote:Thank you for answering.

Yep for the EW section you need a LOT of other things to activate it.

*Techspoiler*

Advanced Dreadnought Engineering (Engineering), Sensor Jammer (C3), Advanced Sensors (C3), Quantum Chaff (C3)

And what good is the EW for, I mean does it jam missiles and messes up the Drones or what?? for scanning, there is also the Deep Scan section.

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:26 pm

The purpose of the EW section is it combines the functions of all 3 of the required sections. So it's a scanner, and a jammer, and a wild weasel section. Instead of having a bunch of little vulnerable ships filling those functions, you've got a big old supership that does it. I wouldn't put it on a combat ship, but my CnCs all get it if possible.

caddybear

Post by caddybear » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 am

I just like the idea of having my command ship have the EW capabilities in it. Seems like the most logical place to put them in my idea of space opera roleplay.
I like breast milk, but never in my tea.

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:20 pm

caddybear wrote:I just like the idea of having my command ship have the EW capabilities in it. Seems like the most logical place to put them in my idea of space opera roleplay.

I like NOT having Wild Weasel technology in my CnC ship!

Ryat

Post by Ryat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:53 pm

kdonovan wrote:
caddybear wrote:I just like the idea of having my command ship have the EW capabilities in it. Seems like the most logical place to put them in my idea of space opera roleplay.

I like NOT having Wild Weasel technology in my CnC ship!

That's why you put LOTS of PD on your CnC ship.
Sins of Solar Empire: Distant Stars http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474

caddybear

Post by caddybear » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Apart from the first few, all my DN command ships are more on the close support role, so they have lots of PD indeed.
I like breast milk, but never in my tea.

saki

Post by saki » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:21 pm

I was always wondering if there is also a module for Dreads to increase their accuracy? So is there a fire control module available?

I like to use fire control in conjunction with PD heavy ships or heavy energy cannons.

Ryat

Post by Ryat » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 am

saki wrote:I was always wondering if there is also a module for Dreads to increase their accuracy? So is there a fire control module available?

I like to use fire control in conjunction with PD heavy ships or heavy energy cannons.

Only the AI command module for the DN.
Sins of Solar Empire: Distant Stars http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474

Darkwing dack

Post by Darkwing dack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:26 pm

I have a question about Turret installation. Beam battery that has been built on a planet have the same attack radius as the ship mounted?

Return to “The Tech”