Xeno-Technologies

Research and Development in SotS2.
Mecron
Kerberos

Xeno-Technologies

Post by Mecron » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:15 am

Your place to post questions, observations and comments on Xeno related techs/discioveries and their tree in Sword of the Stars II.

Hamann

Re: Xeno-Technologies

Post by Hamann » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:19 pm

With part of the xeno-techs being moved to the politics tree, and we starting at the "age of empires" of SotS, which techs will remain on the xeno-tree?
Hannster on Steam
Nubirak on most MMOs

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm guessing biological adaptation, narcotics and maybe some of the higher language techs.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

mattosika

Post by mattosika » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:46 pm

Also the xeno techs moved to the Political Science tree may more represent how one would communicate with various races. That way xeno techs could be more focus towards understanding how the race thinks and lives like archeology does today in regards to understanding different cultures.

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:27 pm

You're probably right. Political Science would deal with actually 'dealing' with the race, allowing you to form trade agreements and such, while Xeno-technology let's you understand their biology better. Could be useful for things like creating drugs tailored to their physiology, for example...
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm

no original techs remain in the xenotech tree.

adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 am

because xenobiology means "biology of the foreigners" and xeno means "stranger"

i would assume this tree has to do with alien technology, possibly alien derelicts or that kind of thing?

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:43 am

Maybe we could get bonuses to reverse-engineering salvage from alien vessels?
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:46 am

or even build/command them in battle.

could be spiffy to rebuild one of those derelicts from sots 1 that comes in 3 peices

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:01 am

umm.. I assume you haven't played the Antiquarians scenario yet?
becuase one was already rebuilt in that scenario, and well ... now we have Lords of Winter to deal with.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 am

Let's just say rebuilding them isn't a particularly great idea.

And for some races in SotS2 it doesn't make sense to even bother. Especially since it seems that those derelicts don't add up to a complete ship anyway.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:01 pm

I think its cute that decoy presents the EXACT bad idea that causes that lil oops that is the antiquarian scenario :wink:

adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Mecron wrote:I think its cute that decoy presents the EXACT bad idea that causes that lil oops that is the antiquarian scenario :wink:

history is doomed to repeat itself.

everything has happened before, everything will happen again.

etc :twisted:

i still suspect my first post in the thread is somewhere in the ballpark of what this tech tree has to do with :P

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Xenotech is perhaps
1.) adaptation to foreign biology for colonization or cohabitation purposes (like, but not the same as, the Adaptation techs and the very upper-end xenotechs from SotS 1).
2.) research into truly alien types of life (like the Specters) to gain some understanding about them, new tech options, or defenses against them.
3.) research into the creation/modification of new forms of life by the researchers themselves (not necessarily a good idea, but the Suul'ka have done it already).
4.) any and all of the above, and more we can't imagine.

It's possible some techs will even move around the forest, as expansions are released, to reflect the developing understanding of alien cultures; a gas-giant-dweller language tech from xenotech to polisci, for example.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 pm

or maybe a technology that lets you keep large(er) fleets around your borders when the peacekeeper(s) show up (through negotiation) cause your neighbors are terribly violent but you are trying to keep what is yours/make nice (perhaps you also have some way of demonstrating your normally peaceful state also)...
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Return to “The Tech”