Shield Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Rage-Overkill

Re: Shield Technology

Post by Rage-Overkill » Wed May 16, 2012 12:10 am

Nspace wrote:
Rage-Overkill wrote:a hard point per projector ... it would eat up medium weapon hard points on the ship which would reduce its firepower

So... Shield Projectors? :P :lol:

Seriously though, I wouldn't be totally surprised if we eventually see shield modules or drone constellations that produce smaller areas of shielding for large craft.

Not exactly just nodes on the hull that would generate a field over a area so large set at a specific point so that it would overlap with another shield etc etc. I called it a projector to make it easier to understand the concept I should have used emitter instead, because that is not what I am thinking about at all.
I am the ghost in your machine

Ouchtime

Post by Ouchtime » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:50 pm

I don't understand how the shield projectors work ingame. I've put it on a slot but all it does it cover the barrel of the turret that it's fitted to. Not other effect that I can see

Exavier724

Post by Exavier724 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:19 am

Ouchtime wrote:I don't understand how the shield projectors work ingame. I've put it on a slot but all it does it cover the barrel of the turret that it's fitted to. Not other effect that I can see

Sounds like something for the Tech Support Forum.

Jeriba

Post by Jeriba » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:14 am

I'm a space flight sim fan and almost in every game of that genre the big ships are equipped with shield generators that can be targeted individually and fighters are often sent to shot them down. How about a module that just like Xavier or Torpedo or Beamer module can be loaded with one of the 3 available shield types: shield, deflector or disruptor. Strength of the generated field will be much weaker than of the dedicated section's, the field shell would not envelop the whole ship (in case of deflector/disruptor and on the larger ships) and the HP of the module would be the lowest possible, but still they will provide some regenerative protection. The large module version could provide x3 strength and larger envelope. The size of the ship won't affect the strength, so cruisers will have advantage because of their size and speed, while DN's and LV's field size will be virtually impossible to miss, thus their shields will be pretty easy to shut down. This would require a special tech - something about miniaturization.

Modules are often placed on the belly of a ship, where no or just a few large (Shield Projectors capable) turrets located so this solution can compensate it.

The battlerider's AI could be even trying to get under the shield to try and destroy the module (did I mention I like space flight sims? :) )

sob

Post by sob » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:27 am

Not all space fighter simulators have shielded capital ships. Freelancer did not (though certain stations and what not had shields. Though I have nothing wrong with capital ships having shields for SOTS lore it is not possible with current tech.

What would like to see is the opposite. Shielded battle riders and drones. Maybe even a shielded missile, that would ruin a PD gunners day.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Jeriba

Post by Jeriba » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:07 pm

sob wrote:Not all space fighter simulators have shielded capital ships. Freelancer did not (though certain stations and what not had shields. Though I have nothing wrong with capital ships having shields for SOTS lore it is not possible with current tech.

I'm sorry, but Freelancer wasn't a flight sim - it was a Dungeon Siege in space :snooty: - a casual grinding game that could be played with only a mouse. Microsoft kicked Chris Roberts - the creater of Starlancer and MOTHERFRIGGING WING COMMANDER - out just after he started Freelancer and as a result we have this abomination, a disgrace to all Elite-like games. I'm talking about things like Tie Fighter/X-Wing, Starlancer, Descent: FreeSpace... And I said "almost in every game of that genre", mkey?

sob wrote:What would like to see is the opposite. Shielded battle riders and drones. Maybe even a shielded missile, that would ruin a PD gunners day.
As I already said, the shield modules on the larger ships would cover only limited areas, immediately near the module. So that a defensive player could take a deflector command section, place some Shield Projectors on the top and some shield modules at the bottom and get a comprehensively shielded DN yet with lots of holes in the defense.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:38 pm

There is exactly one shielded capital in all of FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2, and that was a specially constructed vessel.

Star Wars is also somewhat of a bad example... their power generation abilities exceed those of the SotS factions by several orders of magnitude and they have a few thousand years of technological development more under their belt.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Jeriba

Post by Jeriba » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:There is exactly one shielded capital in all of FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2, and that was a specially constructed vessel.

So?
Azrael Ultima wrote:Star Wars is also somewhat of a bad example... their power generation abilities exceed those of the SotS factions by several orders of magnitude and they have a few thousand years of technological development more under their belt.

Star Wars dated "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…" so it's actually a few thousand years of technological development less :awesome:

I'm not implying that my suggestion should be implemented in exact the same way like in the named franchises so there is no reason in nitpicking, ok?

sob

Post by sob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:17 am

Don't knock freelance. It still a great game to play thanks to the active modiding community.

Just pointing out that shields on DN size ships is not a SOTS style.

All so it helps out game play. Since only cruisers get shields it let's them remain a threat even in a late DN era game. Give DN shields and all that is gone. Any case DN can still use reflector shields.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Belisareus

Post by Belisareus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:55 am

Jeriba wrote:Star Wars dated "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…" so it's actually a few thousand years of technological development less :awesome:

Actually, it all depends on the starting point of the technological advances. Otherwise the Elder races would not have been a terror... And they are billions years old, from a star cluster far, far away...

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:06 am

Jeriba wrote:
Azrael Ultima wrote:There is exactly one shielded capital in all of FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2, and that was a specially constructed vessel.

So?

You made an unsubstantiated claim and failed to back it up with evidence.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Jeriba

Post by Jeriba » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:47 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:
Jeriba wrote:
So?
You made an unsubstantiated claim and failed to back it up with evidence.

there is at least 1 so it's already not unsubstantiated claim. And even if it ware so (you may be right, I played Freespace like 8 years ago last time) - it doesn't matter. I made my point and I hope Kerberos guys've seen it. What you and others think concerns me just a little tiny bit. It's all about SOTSII and I made some examples just to illustrate my suggestion better so stop derailing the thread into offtopic. Please.

sob

Post by sob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 am

Here something you have to think about. Yes the devs read this topic I am sure. What they will see is your point. If we do not respond they will think we agree. But we don't. So we responded. Now the devs can see how many want shields on DN and how many don't. so what we say matters has much has what you say. And we did not derail the topic.

Now here is a middle ground option. At the high level of shield tech can be something that unlocks a DN with a shield mission section. The sip will project a massive shield that can protect other ships (even enemy ships that get through it). It will not be strong and only be good against certain weapons (you can choose the shield type so you can choose the weapon you want to defend against. For example a

EMP shield. This shield projects a large EMP shield all around. The EMP strength is not strong so any large craft can pass through with only minor problems and will ignore it if it has hardened electronics. But small craft such has Drones and guided missiles will loose all power. This all so works in reverse.

Or another type of shield can only last so long before it shuts down. Maybe it can only last a 1min(or until over loaded) then it is off for the rest of the battle.

The actual shield mission system would all so be weak(in strength and guns) since most of it is power source and the generator.

CPO Mzinyati

Jeriba

Post by Jeriba » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:34 am

sob wrote:Here something you have to think about...

I'm not taking your freedom of speech away - I just don't want to participate in offtopic. You guys want it so badly to talk about Star Wars and Freelancer - I don't. Nobody of you have actually said anything against my idea of shield modules in SOTSII. And concerning your "middle ground option" - I can already hear Mecron reciting the cube law.

sob

Post by sob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 am

We never went of topic. Both freespace, freelancer, star wars and SOTS are space based fantasy worlds. We are just comparing.

You assume that the EMP shield is a tue force field. Think instead more along the lines of cloud a EMP cloud that shuts down all missile and drone guidance near it. It was the only one I mentioned because it is the only one that could work.

I still think shielding the big boys is not needed. It would be better to shield the smaller crafts and easier.

CPO Mzinyati

Return to “The Tech”