Shield Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
DaNuker

Re: Shield Technology

Post by DaNuker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:30 pm

AFAIK, I find it curious the while Destroyers used to have shields, the capability has not transitioned into Battle Riders (and I presume BattleCruisers/Hunter-Killers). I mean that means the only ship class you can use Shields on are Cruisers, which kinda limits the appeal somewhat.

Perhaps something on an expansion to tweak this slightly. Obviously, a BR shield probably has to have only 50% the power of a CR shield or crazy imbal stuff would happen.

Agent.nihilist

Post by Agent.nihilist » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:29 pm

A shield BR would be the engine section + single light mount. At that point they are just really expensive manned drones.
Will the Great wrote:Well, that's probably why you're having a difficult time. Because you made the game more difficult.

Ishantil wrote:BIRD RUSH KEKEKEKEKE

Don't mind me, I'm unreasonably reasonable :twisted:

jp161

Post by jp161 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Ignoring the obvious trollism...

Even if we go by SotS 1 destroyer standards (and that's back then when they had to be able to travel FTL), destroyer sized vessels were able to mount 1 medium or 1 medium and 2-3 small or 2 mediums. In the mission section alone.

So there's something else going on there. Besides, there are few things that look quite obvious as expansion material. Of course it could just be that they decided that having BR's with exceptionally high survivability would be bad for play balance or something..?

And if all else fails, enter ze modding forums.

Agent.nihilist

Post by Agent.nihilist » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:33 pm

A single light is probably a little too reductionist, however rider sections tend to carry less mounts that ( I may be poorly remembering how many mounts DEs had in Prime)however rider sections tend to carry less mounts that DE sections did in prime, at least overall(loss of the mission section). So take that patrol section, halve its mounts and lower the top speed and acceleration.

So I could see the draw there, though I'd expect the sections to be limited to what types of shield they could use. Maybe Deflect/disrupt/MK 1&2.
Will the Great wrote:Well, that's probably why you're having a difficult time. Because you made the game more difficult.

Ishantil wrote:BIRD RUSH KEKEKEKEKE

Don't mind me, I'm unreasonably reasonable :twisted:

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:05 am

or play as Liir and bring a cruiser protectorate ship(with it's own shield section) with you that follows the BR's around for some mk 3 shield love.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Agent.nihilist wrote:A single light is probably a little too reductionist, however rider sections tend to carry less mounts that ( I may be poorly remembering how many mounts DEs had in Prime)however rider sections tend to carry less mounts that DE sections did in prime, at least overall(loss of the mission section). So take that patrol section, halve its mounts and lower the top speed and acceleration.

So I could see the draw there, though I'd expect the sections to be limited to what types of shield they could use. Maybe Deflect/disrupt/MK 1&2.

Hiver Battle Riders have a total of 5 medium mounts and a smattering of Lights, something not matched by Prime DDs (Hiver Hammerhead/Armor/Fusion had 3 Mediums and 9 Lights). Unless you begin to go into specialized sections etc. Overall the Battle Riders have slightly more mediums than Prime Armor DDs, if perhaps less Lights.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Its like watching a conversation where folks are debating if the spork evolved from the knife :P

Ebondragon

Post by Ebondragon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:21 am

Mecron wrote:Its like watching a conversation where folks are debating if the spork evolved from the knife :P

Yes it is rather depressing at times. After all everyone knows the spork traces its ancestry back to ancient attempts to cross breed an entrenching spade with a pickle fork. :lol:

DaNuker

Post by DaNuker » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I wouldn't mind losing some speed, a couple of medium mounts and capability to mount heavy armor for BR Shield really. This makes them even better for harassment as they can fire a host of rounds, can recalled when shields are down and come back for more when they're recharged.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 pm

nuke....to jack the price of a BR up with something like a shield generator, somewhat defeats the purpose of a BR. If you are still considering them to be DE's then you will keep hitting this logic wall.

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:15 am

ie the big FTL-powering reactors of Prime DEs were the only reason they were able to run shield generators?

S'what I've always assumed anyway.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:56 am

and the only reason why they were worth the cost..,

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:21 am

Didn't DE Shield and Armor sections cost about the same?

EDIT: Wait, no, I'm just thinking of the base cost of the section. I forgot the Shield tickbox costs money too. :D

DaNuker

Post by DaNuker » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 am

Darn, didn't know the FTL drive was useful for those shields as well.

I understand them to be quick, cheap alternatives to DEs but was hoping for them to be a made little more durable under intense PD or beam fire.

Oh well, if you can't make them durable, just make more of them of time. Time to load up the a Support Fleet with Cruiser BR Carriers with more spares!

cbone69

Post by cbone69 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:59 pm

if you give BRs high level armor for good deflection chance or god willing adamantium for near invulnerability to guass PD, hardened electronics and improved reflective coating for reduced beam/emitter/laser damage, they are pretty damn resistant to most PD. if you dont mind paying out the wazoo for each BR that is.

Return to “The Tech”