Shield Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Master

Re: Shield Technology

Post by Master » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 am

SpardaSon21 wrote:If the Liir can use their stutter drive technology to project one shield around multiple smaller vessels at once, couldn't they somehow do one CR shield rapidly stuttering around to different positions around a DN?

Could the Liir use a LV to project shields around DNs? The available space for power production is a lot larger in a LV section. Of course, since shields have a set amount of HP independent of ship size, this may not be worthwhile. Afterall, 100 HP* is a lot for a DE, but isn't really worthwhile on a DN.

*Example. I have no idea how much HP shields or a typical DE has.
"The next best thing to have after a reliable ally is a predictable enemy"

evil713

Post by evil713 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:49 am

in sots prime i beleve all shields levels were the same ammount of hp.

the liir what was it "protectorit" class of ship can generate mk 3 shielding, but only 700m from the cruser and 1000 from the dread, and it can only cover from the class below it and down.

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:51 pm

No, shields have their own HP, which scales up as needed; when you equip a ship with a Shield section, you have the option of making it a Mk. 1, Mk. 2, Mk. 3 or Mk. 4 shield, providing that you have the proper tech.

Shield Mk. 1 - 800 HP
Shield Mk. 2 - 1200 HP
Shield Mk .3 - 1500 HP
Shield Mk. 4 - 2500 HP

Upon falling Shields take 10 seconds to recharge. There is also a damage capacity multiplier based on hull class.
the Quantum Capacitors tech will increase the strength of all shields by 25%.
the Shield Magnifiers tech will double the strength of all shields.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Shield Technology

Post by ZedF » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Different shields have different recharge times too. Only mk3-4 shields have 10s recharge times; others are longer.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

evil713

Post by evil713 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:41 pm

thanks set for clarifing me, what i meant to say in that ffirst line is that all shield marks are the same between destroyer and cruser, not two difrent sets of marks.

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:02 pm

I think someone said this earlier, but I anticipate some kind of advanced form of 'Shield Projector' to be developed in SotS2...

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Shield Technology

Post by ZedF » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Also, evil, a DD mk2 shield is not the same strength as a CA mk2 shield; there is a scaling factor applied.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

evil713

Post by evil713 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 pm

stop using facts to prove me wrong!

your susposed to use facts to prove amtie wrong. :) !lol

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:35 pm

I wonder if we'll have drone fighters with their own small shields. They already have fusion power plants of only a few cubic meters, not to mention ionic thrusters on top of that, and still enough room and power to carry effective weapons. Shields may be pushing it, I know, but technology and it's miniaturization is going to be greatly advanced in SotS II so who knows?
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:49 pm

kinda defeats the entire point of a small attack vessel ;)

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:23 am

Then call it a small defense vessel. no reason we can't have different drone designs, why wouldn't I want a cheap replaceable drone to catch that impactor shell destined for my command ship?

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:28 am

Setokaiva wrote:Then call it a small defense vessel. no reason we can't have different drone designs, why wouldn't I want a cheap replaceable drone to catch that impactor shell destined for my command ship?

Because it would destroy the drone and still hit?

The reason for Riders instead of drones is they can carry large enough weapons to be useful and are more durable; therefore more suited for combat. Drones are only useful while they can evade, and PD has got to where they cannot do that very well anymore.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:34 am

Even if the drone would survive the hit, that would just mean that a drone is going to smash into your hull.

They don't have even remotely enough mass to stop rail cannon rounds.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:15 am

meh I guess your right... stupid suggestion. fusion cannon rounds then. there. no kinetic impact.

Rix

Post by Rix » Tue May 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Only a few reasons to build a small combat vessel: speed, not getting hit, or you're too broke for a bigger one.

On an interstellar level, size no longer equates to speed because of the way the various ftl drives work.

Not getting hit should be obvious. Don't put shields on dodgy things especially when said shields lessen ability to dodge and still don't boost survival terribly well anyway.

And if you're too broke to build something bigger, stop spending money on the expensive shields, silly.
This is not a signature.

Return to “The Tech”