Shield Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Tarrak

Re: Shield Technology

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:54 pm

BRs can't equip Adamantium, which makes sense given that PD weapons target them. With it they wouldn't take a single point of damage from them, yet still soak up their fire, effectively nullifying the PD.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Treliant

Post by Treliant » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:34 am

I was finally able to tech into shield projectors today (was really excited to see them in action) and must say first off that the animation for them is spectacular! once equiping them and looking in the weapon test screen I was a little underwhelmed by thier coverage. I was expecting a coverage area about twice the diamater and double the projection distance so that on a Morigi cruiser when i gave up a heavy mount I could expect 60-70% coverage in the direction of the target. As it is it looks like only about 10-20% coverage (just enough to cover the heavy mount itself) which doesn't quite feel worth giving up the heavy mount for.

Has anyone else had experience with them and thoughts on effectiveness?

I will attach a pic for those who would like to see one if you have not already:
DreadProjectors.JPG

Projector1.JPG

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Definately looks wrong. Have seen several posts with pictures of shieldprojectors and they have covered the target entirely. Something is off.

Have you had time to test it in combat? Is it a graphical or combat issue?
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 pm

much better then the deflated balloon they were a few updates back, looks about the correct coverage they gave in prime, they do move as well, they aren't meant to be perfect defense, however they also will stop ANY attack.

and Tarrak, these are the projector mounts(same as ort-gay has from prime), not shields, or Liir only focused shielding(which projects a shield onto other ships)

ForgedAscendant

Post by ForgedAscendant » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:52 am

Is there a reason why drones can not lauch while the Advance cloacking system is engaged?

chasesan

Post by chasesan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 am

Well the thing with DN shields is that they are so large the shield would require a stupid amount of power. What about sectional shields. Shields that can protect certain parts, like modules, maybe gun emplacements, things like that.

I remember sots1 had a directional shield as a turret.
“Programmers are just humans: forgetful, lazy, and they make every mistake imaginable.”

War1910

Post by War1910 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:48 am

chasesan wrote:Well the thing with DN shields is that they are so large the shield would require a stupid amount of power. What about sectional shields. Shields that can protect certain parts, like modules, maybe gun emplacements, things like that.

I remember sots1 had a directional shield as a turret.

What you are talking about is Shield Projectors (which are in :) )
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure...

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm

I wonder what the next evolution of shield tech will bring? Maybe some sort of flicker shield with a 50% chance to block incoming fire. Or a Holtzman type shield. A Langston field would be cool to.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 pm

wingren013 wrote:Or a Holtzman type shield.

*sends Laser-armed drones*
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Sends relativistic missiles at homeworld :x
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

shadowclasper

Post by shadowclasper » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Okay, I've never actually managed to get shield technology in my games, mostly playing against AI and all, and maybe it's why I'm having so much difficulty playing?

As I understand it there are threekinds of shields? One is a section that just projects it infront of the ship, then there's another where the shield projecters are put on weapon mounts as turrets that project a shield over a small area that block incoming attacks? And another version projects the shields over friendly units?

I usually go for very heavy offense groups with more armor than shields, I wasn't sure how useful sheilds were since they looked like they just projected forward (so anybody who manages to swing around to my side would just obliterate me), the super specialization of them (some work against balistics, some against energy, some against missiles, etc.) turned me off from them as well.

Do I have that all about right? And if so, why are they so useful compared to straight up applying armor to my ships and such? (Note: I've tended to play morrigi mostly, so that might effect your answer)

I'm asking because the wiki does not do a good job of explaining things and currently I can't get onto my version of the game for the SotSpedia while I'm waiting for a new videocard. Sorry for the newb question :S

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Does the manual cover the different kinds of shields?

shadowclasper

Post by shadowclasper » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:17 pm

Mecron wrote:Does the manual cover the different kinds of shields?

The downloadable PDF? I do not believe so (shield doesn't even turn up in the search function, and combing through the parts of it that would seem to be relevant turn up nothing either), and the question only just entered into my head, and I've been unable to check the SotSpedia or other things directly linked from the game itself because of that until my new video card came in.

That said, I might just have a much older version of the pdf. (1.1 is the version I have, my apologies if I've just been using an ancient copy of the manual and asking questions that it would have answered :oops: )

also, to clarify, when I say new videocard, I mean I can't even turn on the computer I have with it installed, and this is macbook I'm on to communitcate with you guys.

edit: Also, once I get my gaming computer working, definitely going to download something like fraps, and begin screen shoting and taping stuff to fill in gaps on the wiki. The wiki is great for stats, not so great for when you just want ballpark descriptions of things >_<;

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:30 pm

Yeah we try and make the tech descriptions carry a lot of the load but the manual should cover the basic types...if it doesn't we will make sure to add it in a future update.

Saphiel

Post by Saphiel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:14 am

shadowclasper wrote:Okay, I've never actually managed to get shield technology in my games, mostly playing against AI and all, and maybe it's why I'm having so much difficulty playing?

As I understand it there are threekinds of shields? One is a section that just projects it infront of the ship, then there's another where the shield projecters are put on weapon mounts as turrets that project a shield over a small area that block incoming attacks? And another version projects the shields over friendly units?

I usually go for very heavy offense groups with more armor than shields, I wasn't sure how useful sheilds were since they looked like they just projected forward (so anybody who manages to swing around to my side would just obliterate me), the super specialization of them (some work against balistics, some against energy, some against missiles, etc.) turned me off from them as well.

Do I have that all about right? And if so, why are they so useful compared to straight up applying armor to my ships and such? (Note: I've tended to play morrigi mostly, so that might effect your answer)

I'm asking because the wiki does not do a good job of explaining things and currently I can't get onto my version of the game for the SotSpedia while I'm waiting for a new videocard. Sorry for the newb question :S

Let's give you a quick overview, shall we? ;)

1. Deflector and Disruptor Shields: This kind of shield covers the front half of your ships and is available on cruisers and dreadnoughts. They also provide perfect defense (Deflector against Ballistics, Disruptor against Energy). But as you said, they can be outmaneuvered.

2. Normal Shields (Mk1 to Mk4): They cover your whole ship and are only available on cruisers. They protect against almost anything (certain specialized weapons are capable of piercing through them) BUT they will collapse when they take to much fire (meaning: they have hitpoints). If that happens they will take some time to recharge, but afterwards they are back at full strength. They DO NOT regenerate while they are active unless you have researched Shield Rechargers.
Please note: Fully upgraded Mk4 Shields are a nightmare to deal with. They can take an absurd amount of fire. You absolutely NEED anti shield weaponry to deal with these.

3. Protectorate Section: A specialty of the Liir. This Mission Section projects an Mk3 Shield around every friendly ship that is smaller than the Protectorate Ship. You can give your Battlecruisers Shields with this (as if they aren't strong enough already ;)).

4. Shield Projector: A Shield Projector creates a small impenetrable energy disc. They take a heavy turret slot, protect only a small area and are only active for a short time. BUT they can move around and you can have as many as you have heavy turret slots (and energy on your ship). They can be very effective with some some weapon layouts and completely useless with others. And of course you sacrifice a lot of firepower. But aside from using your command section for a Deflector/Disruptor Shield, this is the only way to give your dreadnoughts shields (although they aren't shields in the classical sense).

I think that covers most of it. I hope it helps :)

Return to “The Tech”