Shield Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
shadowclasper

Re: Shield Technology

Post by shadowclasper » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 pm

It does! Thank you!

So it sounds like the deflector/disruptor shields are damage resistance, while the normal shields are straight up soak?

I play morrigi, it sounds like it might be worth my time to start researching into shield tech, if only because if the shields are really so much of a protection thing for us, then it would seriously pay off to have them for cruisers given how expensive morrigi ships are in the first place?

What type of section do they take up on cruisers? Command or Mission? (I know deflectors take up the command section) Or are they modules?

Also what's the in lore reason for not having deflectors for leviathans? Is it just that making shields beyond a certain size is simply not feasible? No matter how much energy you pump into them? (EG: diminishing returns?) or is there another reason?

Saphiel

Post by Saphiel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Deflectors/Disruptors aren't damage resistance. They are still very much shields, they simply block certain types of weapons that hit them, while providing no protection at all from other types, and do not collapse. For example a Disruptor shield would block a particle beam, but not a mass driver round. As long as the enemy doesn't flank you, you are immune to these kinds of weapons.

Normal shields also take the command section.

And yes, i think the reason leviathans don't get Disruptors/Deflectors is the same why dreadnoughts don't get normal shields: It's just not practical.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:51 pm

Energy requirements grow with volume. LVs would need so much power to keep their shields online that they'd barely have any to actually do anything beyond that.
Also, they're so large and ponderous that the issue of deflectors and disruptors being only partial shields becomes a serious problem.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Darkwing dack

Post by Darkwing dack » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 pm

shadowclasper wrote:I play morrigi, it sounds like it might be worth my time to start researching into shield tech, if only because if the shields are really so much of a protection thing for us, then it would seriously pay off to have them for cruisers given how expensive morrigi ships are in the first place?

Also, there is meson and gravity shield. Meson/gravity shield is created around ship, like Mk.1-Mk.4 shield, and protect you against energy(meson) or ballistic(gravity) weapons. Meson shield -- the only shield, that is not ignored by meson weapon. Meson/gravity(com.)/Blazer(espesially Morrigy, because they have 5 Heavy Lasers)(mission)/Top engine cruiser, is a nightmare for races that is to dependent on one class of weapon.

About expensiveness of Morrigy ships. Beauty has its prise. :awesome:

Lostchaos

Post by Lostchaos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:32 am

Now I read through the whole discussion and I didn't see one comment about the electron shield being developed for tanks. Now the electron shield would stop energy weapons due to polarity and for the whole visual cue thing it is know to make the tanks its used on to shine to a degree. Now I wonder why has this tech has not be applied to the DN, CR, or BR. Another thing to go for it is that it does not to my knowledge follow the cube law. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I due think this would be a good tech to introduce

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Lostchaos wrote:Now I read through the whole discussion and I didn't see one comment about the electron shield being developed for tanks. Now the electron shield would stop energy weapons due to polarity and for the whole visual cue thing it is know to make the tanks its used on to shine to a degree. Now I wonder why has this tech has not be applied to the DN, CR, or BR. Another thing to go for it is that it does not to my knowledge follow the cube law. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I due think this would be a good tech to introduce

I'd say that falls more under armor than what is considered a "shield" by SotS standards.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:50 pm

also a charged shield would have no effect on a neutral particle weapon.

Lostchaos

Post by Lostchaos » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:51 am

This is true but some shield is better then no shield. Plus most particles and subatomic particles are charged in one way or another.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:35 am

Actually, i don't think that is true. Some shield can be better than no shield, but only if you don't have to sacrifice more to install it than you gain from doing so.

Lostchaos

Post by Lostchaos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:20 pm

And I totally agree. The electron shield would be a module attached to the hull and not a actual hull design considering that most of the other more technologically superior shields take a hull design to be used.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:32 pm

the shield tech you see being experimented with now on earth is considered to be the birth of the tech and is incorporated in various sots tech below the level of individual techs. ie shield 1 can be considered the first time electron shielding and various other field effects can be applied in a scale useful to a starship.

Lostchaos

Post by Lostchaos » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:41 am

Ah ok then didn't know that so thats cool

Return to “The Tech”