Shield Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
jp161

Re: Shield Technology

Post by jp161 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:17 am

Mecron wrote:So your question is "Is that thing that is both effective and fairly elegant going to change to something far less useful cause in Star Trek they didn't want to blur their one ship all the time?" 8)

If that's the way you want to take it, sure.

But no, that's not actually what I'm saying ;)

Let me try to re-phrase then:
"While the current design is both effective and very very very very visible, will it change to something less visible, more subtle and all-around-cuter while still retaining enough effectivity to be seen/noticed in middle of a fight?"

It certainly is useful when you can see with just a glance which ships have shields active. But it's quite distracting from the "fungameplay" when all you can see are the brilliantly-colored-and-very-obviously-active-shields.

Since this ain't a suggestion topic, I'm not going to suggest (ahhh, armchair game designing, so much fun!) ways that you are more than likely to know already anyway.

But I'll still make an observation; We are getting a lot more advanced graphics engine, so I would be sadly ( :( ) surprised if shields were to continue at their current "visibility" level. There just has to be a good-enough way to see if they're active in mid-fight without having them be such an eyesore...

Even B5 Thirdspace aliens had pretty shields. So putting it all on ST again is a bit silly. ;)
For the record, Soase has damn pretty shields. Of course all ships there have them so it you don't have to see them to know they're there, but i just can't believe the only choice available for SotS 2 would be the SotS 1 style shields.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun May 29, 2011 1:20 am

for the record...you are welcome to go play with your "pretty" shields :thumbsup:

jp161

Post by jp161 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:28 am

Mecron wrote:for the record...you are welcome to go play with your "pretty" shields :thumbsup:

Seriously? That's all you're gonna give to me in this? Aaarrghhh. :x

Not having pretty shields isn't a gamebraker nor is it a reason to not play the game. But it is a thing to consider and in my books, a pretty big one at that. :!:

For some reason I'm getting this wibe that you don't much like shields in general. Or you don't like me asking 'bout them. :o

Gee, suppose I gotta get back on drones and modules then. :thumbsup:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun May 29, 2011 1:59 am

actually I have no idea what the final shield fx will be...your attitude was just annoying thats all :thumbsup:

jp161

Post by jp161 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:08 am

Mecron wrote:actually I have no idea what the final shield fx will be...your attitude was just annoying thats all :thumbsup:

:shock:

You... You.......... You damn tease!

Mmm and sorry for any attitude, wasn't aware I was giving you one.
On a slightly more serious note, I fear I'm not as good in English as I think I am, since I've had this kind of an effect on you on multiple occasions. And it's a pity since I really don't mean to do that.

HitodamaKyrie

Post by HitodamaKyrie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:42 am

Just gotta say, the best shields I have ever seen were in Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Hands down.

Ares_in_snow

Post by Ares_in_snow » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 pm

I like shields that are only visable when being hit. Just sayin. :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:08 pm

go shine something :thumbsup:

jp161

Post by jp161 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Whatever happened to the Star Trek demo shields? The ones that flare up only when hit?

Sure it's been asked before but my search-fu didn't find it :(

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Cause trek is trek and that is where it belongs?

jp161

Post by jp161 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:51 pm

And it was done with SotS engine... So at one point it was done with SotS engine.

I fear my ability to read & understand Mecron is still a bit undeveloped. But.. Did ya just say "tried it, too trekky, took away with it"?

Or possibly "Well cool, but impossible to tell whether the shield is active or not which would be a problem to someone, somewhere, at some point of time"?

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:21 am

jp161 wrote:And it was done with SotS engine... So at one point it was done with SotS engine.

I fear my ability to read & understand Mecron is still a bit undeveloped. But.. Did ya just say "tried it, too trekky, took away with it"?

Or possibly "Well cool, but impossible to tell whether the shield is active or not which would be a problem to someone, somewhere, at some point of time"?

This, the bolded, is the correct answer.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

amtie

Post by amtie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Can't shields just be a sensor-view side thing? Like the jammer and Wild-Weasel effects.

You can see a blue outline around a ship in sensor view, thus know that it is shielded. But in eyeball view... you don't see such a shield. It may be a cleaner way of doing things.

Like how you can't see jammer in eyeball view, but can still see it in sensor view (assuming you're the enemy... until a possible update with perimeter outlines is implemented).

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a sensor view screenshot for SotS 2...

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Amtie that means shield users would need to be constantly flipping modes or be stuck in sensor mode to keep tabs on their shields, thus the original problem of how do I show shield status without frustraiting the player remains.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

amtie

Post by amtie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 am

It would be a UI element, like the health and armor stuff. Hell, they've already got that. Remember the shield percentage thing?

Return to “The Tech”