Its Here! Sots 2 Tech Tree Java App!

Research and Development in SotS2.
Arkalius

Its Here! Sots 2 Tech Tree Java App!

Post by Arkalius » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:53 am

UPDATE 11/30/2012: The app has been updated to support showing values for the new Loa race. Let me know if you guys find any new issues as a result of this expansion. Just use the download link below to get the latest version. Enjoy!

So with the release of the new game comes a new version of my famous Tech Tree Java Application!

This app reads the SotS 2 tech tree data and presents it in Tree format providing you a lot of data on all the techs in the game, including link and average cost, true probabilities of acquiring a tech, requirements and all that. You can download a zip file containing the jar for the app from this link:

Download the App

To run it, all you need is to have a recent Java Runtime installed on your computer, and you should be able to just double-click the jar file on your system to open it. It might be the case that something other than java is set to open jar files (like WinRAR). If that is the case, you'll have to change the association to your JRE installation's java.exe.

When you first run the program, it will ask you where your SotS 2 installation is. Now, I have the Steam version, and for me, it is in Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii. I'm assuming the file structure for the game is the same whether or not you downloaded it from Steam, but if anyone has problems with this, let me know. Once you set it, it will load the data for the tech tree. It should remember this setting and it won't have to ask you again. If you want to change the location, you can do so in the menu at the top. Also, if you wish, you can load custom data files into the program, as long as they are proper tech tree format. If you select this option, it will ask you for the tech tree file, then the Strings file. This is the strings.csv file found in the assets/base/locale/en folder (or whatever language you have). It is needed for tech descriptions. If you have a custom one, use that. Otherwise you'll want to use the original.

The techs are presented in a tree format, with the base elements being the roots of the different tech families. Keep in mind that when you select any tech in the tree, you are really selecting the link to a tech. You can also search for any tech name. You will get the following information:

Name - obvious
Link Cost Level - The research cost of this link, relative to a base cost level. Multiply this value times 1000 to get the actual research point cost.
Tech Average Cost Level - The average cost in the same units as above for the tech, based on the cost of each of the links that lead to it
Description - obvious
Power Era - Tells you which power level you must have researched for this tech to be available
Hull Era - Same as above, but for hull size
Group - The group this tech belongs to, if any (used for requirements)
Requirements - Other techs that you must research before this tech will be available for reasearch - this has nothing to do with links. Some requirements are groups.
Link Probabilities - The probability that this link exists for each race
Tech Probabilities - The overall combined probability that this tech will be available for each race, considering all links and requirements
Link Average - The overall average chance that this link exists for all races. Note that if only one race gets the tech, then this value will just be the probability for that race
Also Allowed By - Shows the other techs that lead to this tech, if any.

If you have any ideas on improvements that you'd like to see for this program, I'm open to suggestions. If you are interested in seeing the source code, contact me and I can provide it for you. This app is based on the version I did for the first game, and you can find a link to that one in my signature.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Arkalius on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

DaNuker

Re: Its Here! Sots 2 Tech Tree Java App!

Post by DaNuker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks for the tool! Sure helps to check it out. :thumbsup:

beokad

Post by beokad » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:17 am

Hi,

I have a small problem using the java app, maybe you got an idea what the problem could be. Using the latest Java installation from java.com .

When try to run the .JRE file a small dosbox pops up and instantly closes again.

It closes so fast that the only thing I can see is some dos text inside but too fast to read it all. Any idea what could cause this and how to fix it?

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:31 am

Hi beokad, can you try something for me?

Open up a command prompt, and navigate to the folder where you have the jar file. Then, run the command:

java -jar "SotS2 Tech Tree.jar"

with the quotes and all, and let me know what it says.
-Arkalius

beokad

Post by beokad » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Arkalius,

tried as you said and got the error as in the screenshot attached.

It is not the same error as when I actually try to run the .jar from within explorer. I tried it in explorer, running it several times and I can make out some of the words: Exception error thread main seems to be part of the first line, but I cannot for the life of me make out any more.

The app is running fine on my laptop by the way. Would still be great if you had an idea how to fix it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beokad

Post by beokad » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 am

Hi,

I was able to fix the error within the screenshot (by adding the PATH of java to windows variables). From the cmd line your app is running just fine.

No idea why the link from explorer won't work, but it is working this way fine :)

Zacho5

Post by Zacho5 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Thank you! Got some cool stuff in there as they fix things and add them back in.

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:57 pm

beokad wrote:Hi,

I was able to fix the error within the screenshot (by adding the PATH of java to windows variables). From the cmd line your app is running just fine.

No idea why the link from explorer won't work, but it is working this way fine :)

Glad you got it working at least. It might help to set an environment variable CLASSPATH to "." (a period). See if that does it?
-Arkalius

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Yay for making Wiki Entry Easy! ;)

Post by silvaril » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:57 am

Heya

Ta muchly Arkalius! :D
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

LaDoncella

Post by LaDoncella » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Good job, again.

It's me or it just shows hidden techs too? :P

Scynix

Post by Scynix » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:36 am

I apologize, Java is the one language I've never bothered to learn though I've been told to a dozen times.. which is probably why I never did. Because the people telling me to learn it wanted me to do work in it.

At any rate, couldn't this be hosted on a site, so people don't have to download it?
It seems like it might be safer for your casual PC user whose been told of the horrors of downloading things they don't recognize.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ~ Winston Churchill

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:17 am

Scynix wrote:At any rate, couldn't this be hosted on a site, so people don't have to download it?
It seems like it might be safer for your casual PC user whose been told of the horrors of downloading things they don't recognize.

Hosting it on a website doesn't make it any safer... I have a history on the forum and have provided similar software for the last SotS. If someone doesn't find me trustworthy enough to download the application given all that, then hosting it on a website is unlikely to sway their decision.
-Arkalius

arwan

Post by arwan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:15 pm

awesome job..

was looking threw some of the techs and noticed a few techs that were 0% for all races.. and that made me a sad panda.
http://www.2-stupid-dogs.nl/sounds/opr000VY.wav
there is no shortcut to success only the cold hard truth of reality. and reality doesn't fight fair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:00 pm

arwan wrote:awesome job..

was looking threw some of the techs and noticed a few techs that were 0% for all races.. and that made me a sad panda.

Those are things that have been disabled to prevent crashes and other buggy behavior, mostly. One assumes they'll be re-activated when they're working properly.

Stonefish

Post by Stonefish » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:03 am

That thing's ugly. Do I need to break out the Photoshop and make another tech chart for y'all? :)
Yeah, I'm still here. Still lurking. Waiting for SOTS2 to come out of Beta so I can start playing it. Looks like it'll be pretty cool when it's ready.

Return to “The Tech”