O'Neill Cylinders

Research and Development in SotS2.
feld
Cassandra

O'Neill Cylinders

Post by feld » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:20 pm

I think this question is for Mecron...but maybe for Erinys. I don't know.

Babylon 5 or Rama-like objects appear in SotS2, but I know of no way to build one in game. Umm...why not? I can think of lots of reasons not to add them to the game as buildable structures (they skew population game mechanics for one and engineering feasibility is far from "proven"). But they're (to my mind at least) no more or less feasible than many other SotSverse technologies.

I was reading "High Frontier" again recently and was just wondering why they were not a thing in either of the SotS games.

Apologies if this has been answered before.

Oh, I just realized GPs is on Steam, looks awesome. Bought today (will probably not play until Easter though - sorry :( very busy).

v/r
feld

edit: Spelled Dr. O'Neill's name wrong. What kind of space nut am I?

Ryat

Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Post by Ryat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Rama like structures may be unbuildable but a Babylon 5 structure is possible. After Babylon 5 is a space station and you can build space stations. Some (Civilian and Diplomatic) even house population for tax purposes.
Sins of Solar Empire: Distant Stars http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Also we tend to assume there are a lot more orbital habitats that exists but are just not drawn. Sadly, the number of poly's in combat and all things related to objects means each object is precious. So things like population module on stations take up the job of completely discrete orbiting civilian objects.

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm

@ Mecron - Copy all. Nice to know the design team's thoughts!
@ Ryat - Roger all on the population modules in game. I just wanted to know if the Kerberites had come upon some Real World (tm) reason for not including large rotating a-grav space structures.

Thanks all!

v/r
feld

Return to “The Tech”