Feasibility question

Research and Development in SotS2.
Arkalius

Feasibility question

Post by Arkalius » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:25 am

So I have a question about feasibility studies and how they work with techs that have more than one link going to them. Let's look at a particular example of Cutting Beams. Both Lancers and Meson Beam have links to Cutting Beams. I only have Lancers right now, not Mesons, and I do a feasibility study for Cutting beams and it comes back with a poor percentage. Now, I've only "revealed" one link to the cutting beams, so logic dictates it only did a feasibility study for that link.

I've recently acquired meson beams, and it shows the link from that to cutting beams, but I can't do a new feasibility study nor has the percentage changed.

Now, in SotS prime, what might happen here is, if I didn't have the link from lancers to cutting beam, but did have the link from meson to cutting beam, then when I finish lancers research, cutting beams wouldn't show up. But, once mesons are done, the cutting beams would show up with only that link showing.

So I guess my question is this: When doing a feasibility study, is the value you get based on whether you've successfully rolled for any of the links that go to the tech in question, regardless of whether they're all "revealed" or not? If so, that would mean that if I failed the lancers-cutting beams link roll, but succeeded the meson-cutting beams roll, then I could technically get cutting beams from lancers without getting mesons first.
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

Saphiel

Re: Feasibility question

Post by Saphiel » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:34 am

Afaik a feasibilty study is for one link at a time.

Example: Tech A and Tech B both link to Tech C. You have Tech A and make a study to get to Tech C, but only get 30%. Now, even if you get Tech B, you can't make another study, UNLESS you try to research Tech C with the link from Tech A and FAIL. Then you get another chance from Tech B, you can make a new study, get a new %-chance, and may succeed this time.

I hope this is understandable :/

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Doesn't appear to be the case. After I got meson beams, nothing changed on cutting beams. It still showed the low percentage and I didn't get a chance to do a new study.

I did a quick test and tried to research cutting beams but it failed. To fail to get both of the links to it as Tarka is a 2.5% chance, so I guess I got unlucky. Oh well. I also failed to get siege drivers which means I won't get to try the invasion leviathan.
-Arkalius

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:28 pm

You misunderstand. You have to fail the tech to be able to do a new feasibility study for the other link.

It will stay on the first link until you do that.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Orly...

I'll have to try that.

Okay that doesn't appear to be correct. I tried researching it. It failed and disappeared from the tech tree.
-Arkalius

Karu

Post by Karu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:49 am

Arkalius wrote:Okay that doesn't appear to be correct. I tried researching it. It failed and disappeared from the tech tree.

You need to wait 1 to 5 turns that it reapears.

Sincerely

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 am

I see... yes that worked. Thanks, good to know.
-Arkalius

Return to “The Tech”