Multi Use Turrets

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
kdonovan

Multi Use Turrets

Post by kdonovan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:39 pm

I wonder if we are going to see multi-use turrets.

For example a ballistics barrel where the owner can choose the munition - standard Gauss, AP, shotgun/stormer, maybe a self guiding mini-missile, and perhaps a sheel with a warhead for after you have caved in the armor.

Or maybe the Morrigi could choose which weapon to push out of a gun port - do they want to replace their point defense with lasers after they take out the main missile salvos?

Of course this sort of flexibility should come with a pretty high price tag (R&D as well as production) and it might take time to switch over the munitions/weapons during combat, but it might add an interesting dimension to tactics.

TheJoeEffect

Re: Multi Use Turrets

Post by TheJoeEffect » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:13 am

An interesting idea. We could have some sort of adaptive directed energy weapon which could toggle between laser pulse and beamer modes (pulse for PD and small targets and beam for tougher stuff). And we could have a railgun capable of delivering many of the various kinds of projectiles found in the mass driver tree.

For extra fun, maybe the multi-turrets would behave differently depending on the size of mount you put them in.
small energy turret: phaser PD <-> pulse phasers
medium energy turret: chakkar <-> fusion cannon
small mass turret: gauss pd <-> sniper cannon
large mass turret: heavy driver <-> heavy stormer
...or go nuts and allow nearly any kind of combination!

I'm not sure how much fun it would be to keep track of what state the turret is in during the chaos of battle however.

Of course this sort of flexibility should come with a pretty high price tag (R&D as well as production) and it might take time to switch over the munitions/weapons during combat, but it might add an interesting dimension to tactics.

Agreed, should be "up there" in the tech tree, and certainly take some time to switch modes, I might add that a special module should be required to handle the additional systems for the different weapons.

I like this idea, just not sure how to make it work in practice, thankfully that's not my job. :wink: But I'm afraid that I don't see this concept getting much traction with Kerberos; doesn't seem to mesh perfectly with the core of SotS, but who knows!? :thumbsup:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Nope, this would be an interface and organization nightmare.

cowinspace

Post by cowinspace » Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 am

Instead of the micro managment nightmare of multiple ammunition types what about turrets that combine two features (More perhaps on larger turretss).

In the same way that a tank might have a mounted gun atop the main turret.

Eg. You could put on a full fat mass driver, OR a less powerful driver(but still in the same class medium/large) with a PD weapon (or other small weapon) on top. Whilst it is less powerful than either weapon would be independantly it would allow you to give larger weapon slots PD or small weapon capabilities without sacrificing all of the power of the larger weapon. If that made any sense.

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Thu May 05, 2011 5:40 pm

How is that better than having a PD turret that is completely separate from your slug-thrower?
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

jp161

Post by jp161 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Well, it would add a small mount on top of a large mount. PD added on top of a large mount might have a better arc...

Personally I don't think this is such a working idea... But if it were possible to include, well, neat. :thumbsup:

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:57 am

Seems like, realistically, it'd introduce more complexity with ammo feeds and etcetera than would be useful if you have the hull space to mount a small turret elsewhere instead. Also, it'd just be another reason to shoot the large turret off.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

evil713

Post by evil713 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:11 am

Unless somebody mods a gun to burst fire different ammo then your out of luck. Like AP round burst.

cowinspace

Post by cowinspace » Wed May 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Gryfalcon wrote:How is that better than having a PD turret that is completely separate from your slug-thrower?

As said it might increase firing arc. But mostly it would be for a situation where you need more PD weaponry, but cannot sacrifice smaller slots (say because of riders). For a drop in M/L damage you gain just enough PD ability to see off the clouds of missiles coming toward you.

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 pm

cowinspace wrote:
Gryfalcon wrote:How is that better than having a PD turret that is completely separate from your slug-thrower?

As said it might increase firing arc. But mostly it would be for a situation where you need more PD weaponry, but cannot sacrifice smaller slots (say because of riders). For a drop in M/L damage you gain just enough PD ability to see off the clouds of missiles coming toward you.

More importantly - it would look really cool. Sure the Grant was a mediocre tank at best, but what kid isn't impressed by all those guns on it? Besides - you just know the Zuul would bolt a couple of extra mini-turrets onto their large turrets - and maybe another Shotgun Driver or Stormer strapped under the main gun - sort of like an M-203.

Return to “The Weapons”