Flickerwarp Weapons?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Blackswimmer

Flickerwarp Weapons?

Post by Blackswimmer » Wed May 11, 2011 12:58 pm

In Sots 2, will we see more weaponized applications of the flickerwarp technology? We know that it can be fitted into a missile, so could it be fitted into a mine, that could phase out, and then phase in again inside the enemy ship's hull. Or can we now outfit flickerwarp drones?
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.

kdonovan

Re: Flickerwarp Weapons?

Post by kdonovan » Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 pm

I was thinking we need anti-flicker warp weapons that prevent the target from engaging their flicker warps (temporarily).

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 11, 2011 5:54 pm

once again we seem to be ignoring that the "flicker" is on the atomic scale...to "get inside" anythign requires very high frequency of individual ports. You will see more flicker tech but defensive as well.

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Wed May 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Deliberately trying to flicker-warp an object into another probably doesn't liberate any more energy than flinging the same mass through a railgun toward said object, or does it?
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 11, 2011 7:02 pm

at best it would be the same release as an AM cannon impact...but since the first destructive merger begins at the meeting of atomic envelopes, any destructive force would push the target away and diminish the effect. It would be more of a scouring effect than a massive destructive event.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Mecron wrote:at best it would be the same release as an AM cannon impact...but since the first destructive merger begins at the meeting of atomic envelopes, any destructive force would push the target away and diminish the effect. It would be more of a scouring effect than a massive destructive event.

So in effect this means...

Sciency! Luvs U!

evil713

Post by evil713 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 pm

what about using flickerwarp AS the weapon instead of enhancing a weapon? you could cause massive damage over time just teleporting small sections of the ship further and further away.

like poping a cork.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 am

flickerwarp is not a magic wand...it is an effect tied to the physical continuity of the drive system itself.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 am

It still amazes me how you have figured out fictional drive systems, their physical effects and are in fact still holding on them! :shock:

(Btw, that's a good thing. :thumbsup: )

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 12, 2011 12:28 am

Logical Consistency...its not just a good idea...its the law 'round here :thumbsup:

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu May 12, 2011 12:33 am

Railcannon sized round comprised of a leach round to drain energy from the target ship, which is then used to power an on-round micro Flicker Drive?
Not enough power from the leach round? Flicker Drives are too complex to be shot out of a Railcannon?
Just a completely silly gut relflex thought, don't take too seriously. :P

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 12, 2011 7:38 am

no worry on that account ;)

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:42 pm

erdrik wrote:Railcannon sized round comprised of a leach round to drain energy from the target ship, which is then used to power an on-round micro Flicker Drive?
Not enough power from the leach round? Flicker Drives are too complex to be shot out of a Railcannon?
Just a completely silly gut relflex thought, don't take too seriously. :P

I imagine that the drives are too delicate to be delivered by Impactor. Something like a boarding pod or mine might work. Mechanically, I would expect damage that scales with armor (like a Chakkar) delivered in a way that bypasses shields. Still feels kinda Rube Goldberg, if you catch my drift. ;)
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 pm

AlanF5 wrote:..I imagine that the drives are too delicate to be delivered by Impactor. Something like a boarding pod or mine might work. Mechanically, I would expect damage that scales with armor (like a Chakkar) delivered in a way that bypasses shields. Still feels kinda Rube Goldberg, if you catch my drift. ;)

Oh, I caught it. I love Rube Goldberg machines, so you can guess why there is a similar feel. ;)

Blackswimmer

Post by Blackswimmer » Fri May 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Mecron wrote:once again we seem to be ignoring that the "flicker" is on the atomic scale...to "get inside" anythign requires very high frequency of individual ports. You will see more flicker tech but defensive as well.

Yeah, but missiles and ships can warp for long enough for weapon fire to pass right through them.

Deliberately trying to flicker-warp an object into another probably doesn't liberate any more energy than flinging the same mass through a railgun toward said object, or does it?

No, but it does mean that you can bypass armour and hit the inside of the ship directly.
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.

Return to “The Weapons”