Flickerwarp Weapons?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Subanrab

Re: Flickerwarp Weapons?

Post by Subanrab » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Mecron mentioned flickerwarp based defences -what might these be? Any thoughts?
An advance on intangibilty perhaps?
"Go for the eyes Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!"

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Maybe phasing out just before a bullet strike you, just on porpoise this time and not at random as before?
Imagine your own funny quote here.

Illanair

Post by Illanair » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Defences won't be worth much if they don't stop enemy fire - it phases out, and then the projectile just hits whatever is behind it (like a planet). Whoops :bangdesk:
bowtiefighter wrote:From my doctorate degree in self taught scifi, im guessing it would make just pretty fireworks.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Well, if they can prevent the enemy from hitting what he's shooting at, they're doing their job. Obviously, this wouldn't make much sense as a planetary defense system.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Yeah it would work as well as the defense sats, they could maneuver to avoid getting hit but then the planet they are trying to protect gets hit. So unless is a missile or something that can be deflected, they are useless.. :S

But what about flickering the projectile???

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:37 am

Possibly a flicker field that could surround a ship and disrupt incoming projectiles by part-flickering them? Would do much to solid rounds but could readily pre-detonate missiles and muck up torpedoes, possibly screw with some energy weapons like plasma since it'd muck up their integrity... Of course, I know little of the science side, so this could be another of my mad ideas... :)
"Go for the eyes Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!"

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:05 pm

I'm guessing flicker-drive/-warp works such that a solid object must be 'ported all-or-nothing. The technology may have been developed that way (so as not to, say, cut Liir or their in half while trying to travel), or it's a function of the properties of the drive field. The computational requirements of that thing must be immense if you had to figure out how much space to grab for the 'port. Of course, as computational resources grow and the technology develops, theoretically you could do a lot of fun things with a flicker-warp field... :twisted:

amtie

Post by amtie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm still waiting to figure out what the Suul'ka used flickerwarp technology for.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Garbage disposal. They popped stuff into another different dimension and never saw it again. :D

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:03 pm

amtie wrote:I'm still waiting to figure out what the Suul'ka used flickerwarp technology for.

*speculation begin*
I believe Mecron said that Liir took the Suul'ka drive and did it differently. I believe it is along the line of "You did what with what?!" Suul'ka may be capable of flickering in a complete different way.
*speculation end*

Like how you can take a tractor beam and use it to "resource harvest" a DN in SotS Prime. The tractor beam are NOT designed for pulling a ship into the planets.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:02 pm

:thumbsup:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Suul'ka drive is supposed to be for mass/stealth deployments so it's probably something more along the lines of a big one-shot teleport you can only do infrequently. It could work that way in a 4X 'cause they have the Zuul drive for more regular use. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:Well, if they can prevent the enemy from hitting what he's shooting at, they're doing their job. Obviously, this wouldn't make much sense as a planetary defense system.

Actually, that would make an awesome planetary defense system, but I suspect the energy required to flicker an entire planet is quite large.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:03 am

Maybe they don't do short fast repeating jumps, but longer, slower ones... The Suul'ka Suul'ka I mean.

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 pm

It could be just generally teleport to another dimension and take advantage of it. Either for faster traveling or using it for stealth. Hmm what else? Oh my I just had an evil thought.

What if it is a performance boosting FTL similar to Gravboat except instead it will teleport the whole fleet?! Pure random speculation warning!

Mecron clearly explicitly said that suul'ka drive were salvaged and repurpose to do something else. After all Liir are capable of seeing through the object without touching it then take it apart and figure out how it works. But not necessary what it was actually originally used for.

Return to “The Weapons”