Siege Driver a satellite

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Hari Seldon

Siege Driver a satellite

Post by Hari Seldon » Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Satellites have predictable paths, so can Siege Drivers shoot them down from long range? This is like the situation in Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series where stationary defenses can be hit by rocks.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

kdonovan

Re: Siege Driver a satellite

Post by kdonovan » Tue May 24, 2011 7:18 pm

I might imagine that they would have small thrusters which might allow them to vary their position a bit - or at least these would be installed if someone started making a habit of blasting them out of orbit with siege drivers.

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Tue May 24, 2011 9:15 pm

ahem....THERE IS NO KILL LIKE OVER KILL WOOOO!
sorry but I had to say it.

Though I've never seen much action vs Heavy platforms, so it might come in handy.
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

xRei

Post by xRei » Wed May 25, 2011 9:54 am

Kind of makes me wonder.. LV platforms.. Will they exist? Seems kind of silly almost, but then again, would it be any more silly than a DN platform..
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:50 pm

I think the LV platform is a starbase
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

xRei

Post by xRei » Wed May 25, 2011 3:48 pm

It would about have to be.. But stations in prime were classified as DN, but that might simply be because LV wasnt a size class in the game.. so perhaps stations will be reclassed as LV size in 2. Guess we will have to wait and see for sure. If DN is the final stage of size class for sats though, that would mean the scaling of the game will make DN sized sats a bit easier to sustain financially..

That is assuming you can draw comparisons from the original at all. xP
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Since they are in right of the bat this time, they could also assign them their own "station" class.
Comparing a stationary installation to a ship doesn't make all that much sense anyway.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

galacticemperorgaret

Post by galacticemperorgaret » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:49 am

Hari Seldon wrote:Satellites have predictable paths, so can Siege Drivers shoot them down from long range? This is like the situation in Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series where stationary defenses can be hit by rocks.

Also, why would you use a siege driver to take out satellites, if it could just as easily decimate the entire world :twisted: . Shooting satellites with them sounds hard to do, and also overkill. But, if you're really a tactical genius with some ultimate motive of only destroying the satellites of a planet........ could work...... :|
Also I think stations should keep their ship size classifications but come in different sizes. Do you realllllyyy need a LV or DN size sensor array? That thing fits on a DE bridge section.

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:22 pm

galacticemperorgaret wrote:
Hari Seldon wrote:Also I think stations should keep their ship size classifications but come in different sizes. Do you realllllyyy need a LV or DN size sensor array? That thing fits on a DE bridge section.

Well, the tiny destroyer-hulled scanning frigate does need to be flying all over the place for the best part of a turn (at least, I've always assumed that was what was really going on, behind the abstraction) to pick up as complete a picture as the static installation. In addition, I believe that the stations have a greater scanning range, as well as their capability of picking up cloaked fleets at range, instead of simply at tactical scales.

In other words, the whole reason for having a massive scanning station is because a static installation needs to include a lot more equipment to provide the sensor coverage that a mobile platform can get by flying around a having a closer look. The corollary is that, by miniaturising the equipment and platform to fit into a ship, you degrade its capabilities and mandate it doing the said 'scanning tours'.

Two different ways of accomplishing the same goal, depending on how often you need to pick up and move your sensors to keep up with a mobile front, how willing or able you are to be tied to defending static and (relatively) vulnerable facilities, the fact that fleets are forced to utilise radar frigates, and that a station can be rather more multi-purpose, and include more redundant systems, than a tiny spaceship.

Return to “The Weapons”