How to Hit a Drone

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Arghy

Re: How to Hit a Drone

Post by Arghy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Yeah tanks dont cover their outer hulls with their ammunition and if surface carriers started engaging hostile ships at spitting range i'd bet they'd cover up the flight deck. When i speak of torps i'm talking about ICBM sized missiles not ball torpedoes. A launcher for internal drones is no more vulnerable then a turret or missile tube and what makes even more sense is a dedicated drone carrier will never get within range because if you did it would be fodder. It would sit well beyond max range launching drones and maintaining them then when it lost those drones it would prep another flight not charge into combat.

If you wanted to shoe horn a carrier launch system just use the COL system except it exploded into drones close to the ship and they speed towards hostiles.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:18 pm

actually, tanks have often covered their outer hulls in explody bits and ammunition is very often carried in boxes near the hull so it can explode outwards in case of brew up...but lets just go on with assuming you knew what you were talking about :lol:

Arghy

Post by Arghy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:45 pm

ERA is quite abit different from a bandolier of HE shells on the outside of your tank and the only reason tank shells are near the outside is because it has thin armor in the first place. Look at battleship turrets in WW1-2, the british lost a ton of ships because they dident armor their ammo yet the germans armored their turrets and buried their ammo. The only reason a tank is different is simply due to weight, speed and power concerns--do you think they designed the Maus with ammo near a thin patch of the turret planning for the inevitable death or do you think they planned on the tank lasting as long as possible?

Internal hangars for space isent just for looks its a must--how are you going to service your drones when their on the outside of your ship? are you going to armor the crap out of the drone to deal with micro impacts or are you just going to armor the ship and stick hundreds of light drones inside it? I can see the logic and planning of sticking expendable drones to the outside of dedicated combat ships but a dedicated drone carrier is not a combat ship and should never be treated as such. If its a balance issue your most likely losing a combat capable cruiser for 6 combat drones, it makes sense in a support role but not as a dedicated fleet.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 pm

don't I hear your mod-mom calling you for mod-dinner? :lol:

Arghy

Post by Arghy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Haha you really dont like modders do you?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 pm

dude, you didn't have a clue sots had DF torps which they had from release :lol:

Arghy

Post by Arghy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:25 pm

I knew about things like proton torps and such but i never called them torps to begin with because in all my scifi experience things called torpedoes never looked like a ball of energy. Halo and star trek are the only 2 references i know which refer to guided energy weapons as torpedoes but in halo they only refer to their use being similar to torpedoes. In every other scifi universe torpedoes have traditionally been giant missiles. SotS is the only game i played were torps were energy based so naturally the majority would win out when referring to torps.

When someone said 'like DF torps' i assumed that he was telling me there was something already ingame similar to what i was talking about but he was merely referring to the fact that they dont track and cant be intercepted. I havent played vanilla for years so i dident know if they patched in an explosive massdriver shell.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:30 pm

yes well we certainly enjoy your input based on lack of knowledge. :thumbsup:

Inconceivable

Post by Inconceivable » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Tryptic wrote:In SOTS, once your opponent has point-defense phasers or even just emitters, drones are no longer a viable option. Drone dreadnoughts try to scale-up their firepower by bringing a whole bunch of drones, but that doesn't seem to work for me. For SOTS II, I suggest they take a different approach.

Sounds to me like your just not bringing enough drones. For me a drone swarm fleet needs to be packing at least 1,000 drones :insane: . BTW 1,000 Morrigi drones vs. Tarka DNs = bye bye DNs

mistervec

Post by mistervec » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:44 pm

I didn't think drones had much of a use in the late-game back in SotS1, but I did find out they could still be immensely useful if employed correctly. Based on how things seem to be going in SotSII, I think they'll fulfill much of the same role I employed them in during my last game.

Basically, playing as the Hivers, I was beating back a four-player all-Morrigi alliance. It was a tough fight, but my cruisers were easily match for theirs. I felt things were well in hand until they started hitting me with cloaked raiding fleets. I could put as many cruisers or dreads as I wanted in my defensive fleets, they'd still appear on the opposite side of the map, leaving me to scramble to get my guys into position. I built scanner sats, deep-scanning ships, and even a sensor station, but I could only spot the incoming fleets intermittently. It was problematic. So, I deployed drone destroyers and cruisers as part of my response. The drones could get to the opposite side of the map much more quickly than my cruisers could and tie up the attackers while my planetary defenses and, eventually, my cruisers pounded on them. I even equipped the drones with storms in an attempt to throw off the aim of the Morrigi ships. I lost a lot of drones overall, but they were easy to replace. Eventually, the my enemies started employing interceptor missiles and the drones fell to the wayside, replaced by packs of pursuit DE's backed up by scanner-armed CnC's. Stuff like that really made me appreciate how important projection of power is in tactical battles and seeing the intra-system node-drive equipped SDB's and node-fighters of SotSII makes me smile at all the wonderful possibilities.
This message brought to you by:

Mister Vec's Magical Space Haberdashery

"It is cold in the dark depths of space. Remember to wear a hat."

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Inconceivable wrote:
Tryptic wrote:In SOTS, once your opponent has point-defense phasers or even just emitters, drones are no longer a viable option. Drone dreadnoughts try to scale-up their firepower by bringing a whole bunch of drones, but that doesn't seem to work for me. For SOTS II, I suggest they take a different approach.

Sounds to me like your just not bringing enough drones. For me a drone swarm fleet needs to be packing at least 1,000 drones :insane: . BTW 1,000 Morrigi drones vs. Tarka DNs = bye bye CPU

FTFY. :D

Return to “The Weapons”