range?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Jorgen_CAB
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: range?

Post by Jorgen_CAB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:00 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:
moonsilver wrote:How close do u have to be before it becomes less than a second?

Less than 299,782.458km. Or, c * 1s. What a surprise :P


Isn't it m/s and not km/s you mean. :)

User avatar
Starknight
Posts: 657
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 am

Re: range?

Post by Starknight » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:06 am

Jorgen_CAB wrote:
Azrael Ultima wrote:
moonsilver wrote:How close do u have to be before it becomes less than a second?

Less than 299,782.458km. Or, c * 1s. What a surprise :P


Isn't is m/s and not km/s you mean. :)


No, that's correct. That second divider is a decimal point, not another comma. Light travels at roughly 300 megameters per second in a vacuum.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Jorgen_CAB
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: range?

Post by Jorgen_CAB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:09 am

Light speed it either 300.000.000 m/s or 300.000 km/s (rounded up) or am I confused here?!?

Ok, now I get it.. it is an american/english way of delimiting those numbers that get me confused... why do you people always have to do things vice versa the rest of the world? ;)

User avatar
Starknight
Posts: 657
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 am

Re: range?

Post by Starknight » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:14 am

Jorgen_CAB wrote:Light speed it either 300.000.000 m/s or 300.000 km/s (rounded up) or am I confused here?!?


That's correct. 300 Mm/s = 300,000 km/s = 300,000,000 m/s. The approximate speed of light in a vacuum.

The more precise figure is, of course, the one Azrael Ultima posted.

Heh. To us Yanks, the rest of you are doing things backwards. It's just a matter of reading it without blinders, though. If the last separator is different than the others, it's a decimal place-holder. :)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

User avatar
amtie
Posts: 2395
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: range?

Post by amtie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:41 am

I think visual stealth is pretty difficult when you're blaring holograms along the side of your ship. ;)

Azrael Ultima
Posts: 3052
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:20 am

Re: range?

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm

That's probably more because visual stealth is fairly irrelevant. If they can see you, they've probably known that you're there for several minutes, if not longer.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

manty5
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:10 am

Re: range?

Post by manty5 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:12 am

Sounds a lot like my old suggestion (back in the SOTS1 days) that ranges be altered based on the class of the ship. Some dread-mounted weapons had a significant percentage of their range eaten up just clearing the hull of the firing ship, especially if the turret was in the center of mass of said ship.

User avatar
moonsilver
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 am

Re: range?

Post by moonsilver » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:20 pm

I still think stealth would be more like that of a submarine battle. You would have choice passive sonar or active sonar. Yes an active sonar would give u away, same as a radar signal would give u away to any radar recievers. Thats why stealth in radar is such a complicated piece of warfare.

Imagine this, new idea i had, Yes if u sent out lots of jamming noise, to jam their sensors, yes they would know where u are, but they wouldn't know where anything else was. so if u sent out drones, which sent out lots of jamming signals surrounding the ship it would be completely blind, because it would be recieving signals from every direction. But the main ship, the one that is the threat would be effectively invisible.

Even a tactic used by destroyers to drop deapth charges which sent out huge sonar siganls, so the submarine couldn't use its sonar to track the ship accurately.

sure it would work in space too.

User avatar
Zacho5
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:51 am

Re: range?

Post by Zacho5 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:19 pm

moonsilver wrote:I still think stealth would be more like that of a submarine battle. You would have choice passive sonar or active sonar. Yes an active sonar would give u away, same as a radar signal would give u away to any radar recievers. Thats why stealth in radar is such a complicated piece of warfare.

Imagine this, new idea i had, Yes if u sent out lots of jamming noise, to jam their sensors, yes they would know where u are, but they wouldn't know where anything else was. so if u sent out drones, which sent out lots of jamming signals surrounding the ship it would be completely blind, because it would be recieving signals from every direction. But the main ship, the one that is the threat would be effectively invisible.

Even a tactic used by destroyers to drop deapth charges which sent out huge sonar siganls, so the submarine couldn't use its sonar to track the ship accurately.

sure it would work in space too.



Its more to move in space or to even keep from freezing you have to be running hot. So all they need is a IR cam and bam they can see you all the way across the solar system.

"If the spacecraft are torchships, their thrust power is several terawatts. This means the exhaust is so intense that it could be detected from Alpha Centauri. By a passive sensor.

The Space Shuttle's much weaker main engines could be detected past the orbit of Pluto. The Space Shuttle's manoeuvering thrusters could be seen as far as the asteroid belt. And even a puny ship using ion drive to thrust at a measly 1/1000 of a g could be spotted at one astronomical unit.

This is with current off-the-shelf technology. Presumably future technology would be better."
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacewardetect.php#id--There_Ain%27t_No_Stealth_In_Space

Good site to read on real space warfare. And yes, a lot of it does not work good in a game. hehe

Post Reply

Return to “The Weapons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest