Grav Cannon

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
icerunner5326
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by icerunner5326 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 am

never actually tried them... it was hard to pass up either a meson beam or heavy antimatter cannon for something that looked cool but on paper appeared to do very little damage (http://sots2.rorschach.net/Grav_Cannon) (or possibly none if I choose not to ignore Reynolds's claim without further proof).

Does the kinetic effect cause any damage or just amusement by way of targets spinning out of control?


Edit: I guess the damage isn't that little, it's just shallow

User avatar
Aranador
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by Aranador » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 am

The Grav cannon isn't about the damage you do to them, it is about the damage they can no longer do to you because they're glued up in this ball.

User avatar
Rossinna-Sama
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:38 am

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 am

The Grav Cannon works by firing a torpedo-sized purple projectile at a target, which travels quite slow. Anything (and I mean anything, even your own ship and LVs) will get drawn towards the shell. If it impacts, nothing really changes as ships get plastered together.

As for the damage component doesn't "appear" to do any damage. But this was used in a battle where everything barring the Grav Cannon was turned off (was testing) and 0 damage was done to the Hiver CR fleet or my DNs when they took friendly hits. The Hivers did have addy which may have caused that, but not sure.

Because I can't see the armor or structure of the Hiver ships, it looked like it was doing no damage on flyby or direct impact. Even the ships slamming into each other didn't appear to do any damage to each other, though that could have been speed related.

Guess I'll do an experiment in a moment where my own DN fires at one of my CRs to see if it does any damage, because right now, it looks like it doesn't.

EDIT: SOTS2 Grav Cannon... Testing? <--- Video

Basically it didn't do any damage to anything. All of the damage taken was from PD fire or the drones\planets firing at my ships. The platform I attacked also... died? to ... I don't know what.
Am I also the only one who noticed the odd time differences when I sped the game up and down with FRAPS running? That battle felt a lot longer than it should have.
PS - content is 99% clean. There are only a few solforce ships added to the game (which ain't involved) to keep the savegame from crashing.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

User avatar
Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric
Posts: 4663
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by Nspace » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:25 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:The Hivers did have addy which may have caused that....

This right here. The damage pattern of Grav Cannons is only 2 layers deep until you get to long range, where if goes to 3 layers deep. So a CR with Adamantine (or Phase Dislocation) won't take any damage to it's armor except at long range. DN's with Adamantine (or Phase Dislocation) and LV's won't ever take damage to their armor. And Grav Cannons don't do any damage to structure and there is no "flyby" damage, only the grav effect.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

User avatar
ReynoldsXD
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:58 am

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by ReynoldsXD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Nspace wrote:
Rossinna-Sama wrote:The Hivers did have addy which may have caused that....

This right here. The damage pattern of Grav Cannons is only 2 layers deep until you get to long range, where if goes to 3 layers deep. So a CR with Adamantine (or Phase Dislocation) won't take any damage to it's armor except at long range. DN's with Adamantine (or Phase Dislocation) and LV's won't ever take damage to their armor. And Grav Cannons don't do any damage to structure and there is no "flyby" damage, only the grav effect.




you know he did shoot that cruiser in that video and it did not seem to wield more than one layer and i didn't see any damage being done...




so can we conclude that this weapon is a pointless gimmik?
The only use i have found is to have it suck enemy cruisers to my lev to act as another layer of armor....

User avatar
wingren013
Cassandra
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:59 am

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by wingren013 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:46 pm

I think it will become useful once collision damage is added to the game.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

User avatar
Karu
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:49 am

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by Karu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:19 pm

Or there are some Weapons that do Area of effect damage like ... detonating fusion torpedos, acid missile, bursters, mines ...

And when the stuck to each other expect less control, less focues fire and a wired flying pattern :twisted:


Sincerly

User avatar
marshb
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by marshb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 pm

ReynoldsXD wrote:
Nspace wrote:
Rossinna-Sama wrote:The Hivers did have addy which may have caused that....

This right here. The damage pattern of Grav Cannons is only 2 layers deep until you get to long range, where if goes to 3 layers deep. So a CR with Adamantine (or Phase Dislocation) won't take any damage to it's armor except at long range. DN's with Adamantine (or Phase Dislocation) and LV's won't ever take damage to their armor. And Grav Cannons don't do any damage to structure and there is no "flyby" damage, only the grav effect.




you know he did shoot that cruiser in that video and it did not seem to wield more than one layer and i didn't see any damage being done...




so can we conclude that this weapon is a pointless gimmik?
The only use i have found is to have it suck enemy cruisers to my lev to act as another layer of armor....

Disrupting enemy formations is pointless?
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

User avatar
Nall White
Posts: 1304
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:10 am

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by Nall White » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:02 pm

I almost exclusively play Morrigi and never use it. Travels too slow and they don't have any immunity or reduced damage (that I can see). Morrigi get a a reduction for grav pulsar, why not grav cannon. I think the grav cannon should be a beefed up version of the grav pulsar.
I'm NOT a cat!

User avatar
marshb
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Post by marshb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Nall White wrote:I almost exclusively play Morrigi and never use it. Travels too slow and they don't have any immunity or reduced damage (that I can see). Morrigi get a a reduction for grav pulsar, why not grav cannon. I think the grav cannon should be a beefed up version of the grav pulsar.

Hmmm, wiki says should be half damage for morrigi due to their engines compensating. :?
Edit: Nope that was for grav pulsar, my bad.

Edit. As for tactics, does it travel too slowly to time a clump of ships with the arrival of area effect weapons? Most area effect weapons are tracking in nature and would be sucked into the gravity well too. Haven't tried this myself yet.
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Redwood8
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by Redwood8 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Right now they just suck in things towards them, damage from them is too low to be used as an actual means of combat. However, I think it would be cool if they were changed to act like a singularity that suck in anything except for morrigi ships, and when one directly impacts a ship it causes a DOT effect that eventually causes the ship to implode.

User avatar
Karu
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:49 am

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by Karu » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 am

Or you just combine it with acid missile or target fusion tops. Alternativly COL.


Sincerly

User avatar
Gilbert
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:09 am

Re: Grav Cannon

Post by Gilbert » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:07 am

Hello guys i am new on this site i was wondering about this grav cannon how it looks like, cause i didn't see and try this weapons..
its my pleasure if someone can post a photos of this weapon thanks.

Post Reply

Return to “The Weapons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest