Enveloping fusion torpedo too powerful

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Ouchtime

Enveloping fusion torpedo too powerful

Post by Ouchtime » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am

The enveloping fusion torpedo is too powerful for where it is in the tech tree. It's perfectly possible to have torpedo cruisers shooting env torp at turn 25 and one salvo totally destroy any cruiser as long as it's not at close range. Later, when there is proper PD(like phaser PD and interceptor missiles) combined with armor techs the issue goes away.

In my current Liir game I broke my own record for the fastest full scale battle win. 45 seconds to kill 9 enemy cruisers invading my system.
I managed to deploy my 10 torpedo cruisers perfectly with the battle manager so my line faced the enemy line perfectly head on AND was at little less than max range for torpedoes. Since I usually deploy the CnC ship in a different location, to avoid my defence fleet ending up in reserves after a win due to loosing only one ship, I barely had time to move the camera to the battleline before the enemy ships all exploded.

Weidekuh

Re: Enveloping fusion torpedo too powerful

Post by Weidekuh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:52 pm

fusion and am torps are very strong, yes. but if i remember correctly Phalanx PD should be able to shoot down even massed torpedoes. probably all beam weapons set to PD should do a good job against torpedoes. Green Beamers may be a bit weak but phasers or emitters should kill them just fine. and you can also use disruptor shields to counter them.

Ryat

Post by Ryat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:57 pm

The AI doesn't quite use shields effectively yet but when they do use the right shields you will find those torpedoes are worthless. This game is more weapon/counter weapon game rather then incremental increase in damage game. The torpedoes are fine.
Sins of Solar Empire: Distant Stars http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:05 pm

In my current game torpedos agains cruiser are unstopable. Now, deep in antimatter era, I'm still using my second generation cruisers if enemy sends cruiser only fleet. If enemy uses dreads, they can shoot down most torps (but he fits only Phalanx PD and Gauss guns :| ).

Ouchtime

Post by Ouchtime » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Weidekuh wrote:fusion and am torps are very strong, yes. but if i remember correctly Phalanx PD should be able to shoot down even massed torpedoes. probably all beam weapons set to PD should do a good job against torpedoes. Green Beamers may be a bit weak but phasers or emitters should kill them just fine. and you can also use disruptor shields to counter them.

My point is the power in EARLY game, well before turn 100. Shields, phasers, dreadnaughts, phaser PD are not available quickly even if you put all you research into it. Also, having phalanx is by no way certain. The chances to roll phalanx are:
hiver,90%
Human,81%
Liir, 60%
Morrigi, 81%
Tarka 90%,
Zuul 55%.

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 pm

do you play MP oder SP? Because the AI is not really able to counter those torps correctly. And even if the counter-weapons are there, combat controll is not.
Also right now PD is broken and is much weaker than it should be. Will be fixed in next patch, but this also increases the power of fusion torps right now.

And i know you where talking early game. All the examples i made can be researched early game, way before turn 100 (i never mentioned DN, nor phaser PD). MP games tend to force you into military techs much earlier anyway.

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Don't forget disruptor shields in your calculations as well.

Also worth factoring in Enveloping Fusion Torps as well, since building similarly specced ships also neutralises the tactical advantage of the tech.

So we have:

Phalanx PD
Enveloping Fusion Torps
Disruptor Shields

As 3 early game techs which directly or indirectly negate the advantage of your Torpedo ships.

Return to “The Weapons”