Torpedos as primary weapon type?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Gramalian

Torpedos as primary weapon type?

Post by Gramalian » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:35 am

Sorry for all the posts but as a new player I was wondering what do you all think of using the torpedo as your factions primary weapon option?
Clearly they have strong alpha strike power but with very long salvo timers and I think fairly simple design/utility options is it viable?

From what I understand Lore wise humans favor torpedoes of some type( direct fire I think) and I have been running humans with a heavy focus on torpedo use( barrage section and assault section DNS with barrage/torp cruisers). Would you more experienced players think this is valid or more of a niche/gimmick set up?
Last edited by Gramalian on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dri

Re: Torpedos as primary weapon type?

Post by Dri » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:10 am

I always have either some torpedo cruisers or barrage cruisers that are packing torps. Enveloping Torps are extremely powerful - a fleet with 4-6 torpedo/barrage cruisers with them and then some really tanky brawler ships to try and tie up the enemy works really well.

Does anyone know if Deflector Shields can totally mitigate torps that strike them? Shield Projectors can stop them I know but AI rarely used them... if ever.

Gramalian

Post by Gramalian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:28 am

So what you are saying is that torps work best as a support weapon tech instead of a factions primary weapon focus? I was hoping that focusing on torps would be a viable tactic instead of ballistic/energy. I know missiles function as a primary weapon type at least for the early/mid game. THough they are turreted and have multiple tech paths and styles over torps which only seem to have 3. At least from my experience, I only tried this once and I maxed at at antimatter..couldnt even get enveloping anti matter.

Torp specific upgrades/sections ( other then the cruiser torp sections) would be something I would like to see. They could be an interesting weapon type.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 am

I think he said he uses them as support but that does not negate their use as a primary. In my experience they can function well as primary but you do need to pay attention to manouvering.

Gramalian

Post by Gramalian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:57 am

Mecron wrote:I think he said he uses them as support but that does not negate their use as a primary. In my experience they can function well as primary but you do need to pay attention to manouvering.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info. It worked in my last game only due to also spending laods of tech in the other weapon trees. I spent like 500-600ish turns playing a game I should of ended in 300 from what I saw. Just keept fooling around with what is next on that tree stuff.

Current game I chose to go right for torps and it has let me clear some of the randoms fairly easy. So just need to test more.

Return to “The Weapons”