polarized plasmatics??

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Azrael Ultima

Re: polarized plasmatics??

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:32 am

They have extremely high armor penetration values, with Chakrams ignoring up to 4 blue layers.
Even the lowly War Quoit will completely ignore the blue layers on an unarmored DN or adamantine plated cruisers.

On the downside, they have a very unusual damage pattern.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:33 am

I like 'em quite a bit myself. Possibly one of the better scaling weapon types as they allow even light mount weapons to do damage to a Leviathan. Their raw damage output isn't amazing against lower armored targets compared to the alternatives, but they're accurate, and versatile weapons.
- Resok

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:23 pm

The only thing i don't like about this weapon is its armor stripping value. Sure it can penetrate deeply, but if the armor is too deep to reach the structure right away, it's very very bad at getting to it. You absolutely need another weapon that does some armor stripping for it to be effective then.

The Chakkar is probably the most powerful medium weapon against an armor depth between 6-9 (ignores 3 layers and hits 6 armor deep) but as soon as you have an armor depth of 10+ its strength dimnishes greatly. Luckily Antimatter Cannons are a good support weapon for them.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:38 pm

It only ignores the blue layers. Green layers can't be ignored per se, though Meson Torpedoes have an unusual damage pattern that will cause them to leave intact layers in between the areas they damage.

Their biggest advantage really is that they barely lose effectiveness even against the most heavily armored of targets.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:55 am

Weidekuh wrote:but as soon as you have an armor depth of 10+ its strength dimnishes greatly. Luckily Antimatter Cannons are a good support weapon for them.

How so? My understanding based on a number of different conversations is that energy weapons will pass through empty (destroyed) armor sections and continue their damage deeper in the armor matrix. Only explosive weapons will impact and then explode as soon as they connect with any filled armor section and detonate their payload.

Mecron wrote:its case 2 if I understand the diagram right and remember this conversation properly :P Directed energy weapons power through empty spaces, kinetic/explosive effects do not pass through empty spaces once the initial contact moment is intiated...much like in real life.
- Resok

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:16 am

Resok wrote:
Weidekuh wrote:but as soon as you have an armor depth of 10+ its strength dimnishes greatly. Luckily Antimatter Cannons are a good support weapon for them.

How so? My understanding based on a number of different conversations is that energy weapons will pass through empty (destroyed) armor sections and continue their damage deeper in the armor matrix. Only explosive weapons will impact and then explode as soon as they connect with any filled armor section and detonate their payload.

Mecron wrote:its case 2 if I understand the diagram right and remember this conversation properly :P Directed energy weapons power through empty spaces, kinetic/explosive effects do not pass through empty spaces once the initial contact moment is intiated...much like in real life.

That was a bit misphrased. Beam weapons will pass through, projectile weapons won't.

There's also the issue that all polarized plasmatics create a sort of diagonal slicing effect instead of a shallow "pool" or a deep hole. At the point of impact it will only remove one or two layers, even though the cut goes 6 layers deep in total.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:29 am

Non-Beam Energy weapons should also pass through empty spaces from my understanding of that thread... maybe I'm off base. Based on the game files these weapons are only classed as 'Energy' type weapons and have no Explosive attribute.
- Resok

Return to “The Weapons”