Effectiveness of pulsed graviton beams?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
chris0101

Effectiveness of pulsed graviton beams?

Post by chris0101 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Pulsed graviton beams, in SOTS 1 were perhaps the most potent beam weapon you could mount in a turret. The range wasn't great and raw damage was down compared to it's graviton predecessor but, the turret stripping abilities were pretty potent. The "tractor" effect was also quite good.

How potent is the SOTS 2 version? Is the turret stripping as good?

The attack profile is like an upside-down "cross" - 1 across, but at the end, it branches out into a plus sign.

http://sots2.rorschach.net/Pulsed_Gravity_Beam

Raw damage is good, although there are weapons that beat it (like the meson beam, but the meson beam doesn't hold the target in place). I suppose it can be something that would be useful even against absorbers (the enemy's ability to return fire would be limited if they don't have turrets) and being tractored could be useful for other weapons, especially if you have something like a meson projector, but even antimatter cannons or drivers could benefit.

Edit:
It is also very powerful against planets it looks like.
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

ColorfulWings

Re: Effectiveness of pulsed graviton beams?

Post by ColorfulWings » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Sorry, in my 2 Liir games and 1 morrigi game I lost the research line a tech or two prior to Gravitational Control. It's a tricky tech to get as any race. :?

Maybe someone else has had better luck.
Nothin' to see here... nope.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Keep in mind that beam weapons deal their damage in multiple 'pulses' from my understanding. The total beam duration for this weapon is 2.0 seconds and the default beam damage period is 0.5 seconds. So it will do 4 pulses total of the damage listed.

On top of this it also has a high crit hit bonus rate (50) so it's bound to cause many critical hits when it's deal damage in structure.
- Resok

ColorfulWings

Post by ColorfulWings » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:10 am

In the weapon info on the wiki, Is the indication of this dealing damage every .5 seconds the "Beam Damage" line? Because for Pulsed Graviton Beam I noticed it is at 0 while the other beams are .5.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:37 am

ColorfulWings wrote:In the weapon info on the wiki, Is the indication of this dealing damage every .5 seconds the "Beam Damage" line? Because for Pulsed Graviton Beam I noticed it is at 0 while the other beams are .5.

It was indicated by one of the devs (I believe DDub) at some point that the beam damage period defaults to 0.5. So as it's currently 0 then 0.5 is the default delay between damage over the total duration of the beam (2 seconds).
- Resok

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Resok wrote:Keep in mind that beam weapons deal their damage in multiple 'pulses' from my understanding. The total beam duration for this weapon is 2.0 seconds and the default beam damage period is 0.5 seconds. So it will do 4 pulses total of the damage listed.

On top of this it also has a high crit hit bonus rate (50) so it's bound to cause many critical hits when it's deal damage in structure.

I finally got a chance to try it out.

They are very "deep" in a sense. The structural damage is quite potent, especially if the target is held in place. They are arguably the best beam weapon for the "very heavy" triple large gun mounts. They are good for punching a hole through thick armor ... like leviathans or adamantite armored DNs. The effective damage is higher than the DPM would suggest if you compared. Compared to cannon, it's a "beam" weapon. Compared to other beams, the "tractor" effect helps improve accuracy. Plus because it's a "deep" weapon, there's a good potential for structural damage.

I'm at war with the Liir right now - they have addy armor and phase dislocation. The DNs have 4 layers of blue armor and LVs have 5 layers. The LVs are actually immune to heavy antimatter cannons. Chakram isn't as effective as I had hoped. These pulsed graviton beams are among the most effective weapons I've been able to bring on them.

Apart from being hard to get, the biggest weakness is the short range, much like it's SOTS 1 version. It's good for a brawler type vessel. It might be good as mentioned earlier for a meson projector. You have to get in close - very close. I think it may be the most short-ranged heavy mount weapon.

For planetary attack, they are lethal but you have to get up close. Best done with a vessel with a lot of phaser PD.

ColorfulWings

Post by ColorfulWings » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Interesting... Thanks for the all the info :)

Is the graviton beam longer ranged than it's pulsed variant?

I hope to try these out in my next Liir or Morrigi game.. haven't decided which yet.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:35 pm

ColorfulWings wrote:Is the graviton beam longer ranged than it's pulsed variant?

No. They are both 1,600. I believe that the Pulsed version is superior in both damage done (unlike in SOTS 1), in depth of penetration of armor, a superior chance to crit, and finally the fact that it can strip turrets.

Range is big weakness of these. That said, being beams, they are pretty accurate, although the target can move out of range or out of the angle of the turret even with the tractor beam.

Möbius

Post by Möbius » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 am

Did some one actually see the Tractor effect on any of the three Tractor beams? I tested a bit, giving one ship the command to move away with normal speed and the other ship the order to fire at it with its Pulsed Graviton Beams hoping to see the Tractor effect, but the ship just continued to move away (with maximum normal speed) completly ignoring the fact that ~15 Pulsed graviton beams were fired at it. Also saw this behaviour while firing at enemy ships, so is the Tracor effect currently bugged or am i just making something wrong.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:24 am

Möbius wrote:Did some one actually see the Tractor effect on any of the three Tractor beams? I tested a bit, giving one ship the command to move away with normal speed and the other ship the order to fire at it with its Pulsed Graviton Beams hoping to see the Tractor effect, but the ship just continued to move away (with maximum normal speed) completly ignoring the fact that ~15 Pulsed graviton beams were fired at it. Also saw this behaviour while firing at enemy ships, so is the Tracor effect currently bugged or am i just making something wrong.

Yeah I've been wondering about that too. Hmm ... need to compare to tractor beam to draw conclusions.

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 am

very possible it's bugged, with how hard it is to get to, I doubt it's been tested overly much

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:34 pm

I think that we might want to make a thread asking the devs to test out the pulsed graviton, graviton, and tractor beams.

I checked the game files - not too sure what gives a weapon the "tractor" effect.

Return to “The Weapons”