Variable Phaser

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Korgan

Variable Phaser

Post by Korgan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 am

So i'm kind of curious, since I find it rather odd... Variable phaser links off from both Variable Laser and Pulse Phaser, yet it has a pre req of Antimatter and PD phaser.. AM I get, but why is a tech thats linked to two lower tech's have a requirement of a tech thats higher up in the tree? No race really has fantastic chances for PD phaser, there's only 1 link to it, so only one chance, and even the best race (Liir) only has an 85% chance, it kind of makes the two links nearly pointless for variable phaser.

ColorfulWings

Re: Variable Phaser

Post by ColorfulWings » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:36 am

So you'd think that the variable phaser would require a combination of a Phaser version of the Rapid Pulse Laser (pulse phaser) and the beamer version (just plain old phaser, which is a prereq to pulse phaser).

But if you read the description of PD Phaser:

A low power, high rate of fire, version of the standard phaser designed to fit point-defence turret mounts and engage incoming tracking weapons with a high level of accuracy and good stopping power.

You'll see this technology introduces a way to fit the beamer version (phaser) into a fast tracking turret mount. It is only a short step from there to concider a weapon that fires pulsed beams from that same turret mount as well as a sustained beam version, albeit at a slightly lower energy output than a dedicated phaser turret.

Now what confuses me is that the only requirement for the Variable Laser is the X-ray Beamer...

It seems to me that the Variable Laser should have the Rapid Pulse Laser as an additional prerequisite. Isn't it a combination of the Rapid Pulse Laser and the Beamer type weapons?
Nothin' to see here... nope.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Why would you need fast tracking phasers to combine pulse and regular phasers? That's a rather weird leap.

I think it would make more sense in the opposite direction, with VPs giving a second link to PDPs.

Similar for Variable Lasers. Maybe they were developed when your scientists found a way to pulse a beamer, which would then lead to better odds of developing a dedicated RPL.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

ColorfulWings

Post by ColorfulWings » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:41 pm

but what came first.. the pulse or the beamer? ;)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 am

That would depend on the order you researched them in.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

ColorfulWings

Post by ColorfulWings » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Well in SotS you started out with red lasers in the energy tree, which would then unlock green lasers, which would in turn unlock green beamers. Now I would assume that when you are separating beamers from lasers, that means the laser is actually pulsed energy, while the beams are sustained.

So now looking at phaser technology, the pulsed variant comes after the sustained beam. One must assume this is because phasers use a larger weapon mount (medium) and scientists think wouldn't it be great if they could fit phasers into small mounts? So they come up with the idea of pulsing the beam, presumably lowering the energy output and enabling it to be fitted into small turrets, but not so much that they become less effective than your previously strongest light laser, the x-ray.

So now you have a pulsed variant of phasers your scientists might think hmm... some time ago we developed a laser turret that could act as both rapid pulse and beam (the variable laser), why not do the same for phasers now that we have developed the pulsed variant? :D

What could explain why PD phaser is an "unlinked prerequisite" to the Variable Phaser? Maybe at a certain point in their dabbling with this idea, they figure out that they would need some kind of fast tracking turret designed for phasers. So you decide to have them research the point defense phaser, which gives them the tech they need to finish developing their Variable Phasers. Antimatter is a given, as such a turret mount would need a bit more energy output than poor old fusion could provide.

However, maybe OP (Korgan) is right, it could be feasible that once you develop a beam and pulse phaser variant, you should then just be able to combine them into the Variable Phaser. This would be along the same lines of what we already have for the Variable Laser, where you apparently only need the beam and pulse laser variants to research it.

Return to “The Weapons”