Minelayers

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
stalindlrp

Minelayers

Post by stalindlrp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Simple Question: How do Minelayers Work?

Azrael Ultima

Re: Minelayers

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm

You can either add them to a fleet and use them as regular ships, or add them to the system defense forces which allows you to place persistent minefields in the Battle Manager.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

stalindlrp

Post by stalindlrp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Ahh Perfect. thank you for the response.

Atlanton

Post by Atlanton » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:17 am

Does anyone have any personal experiences with using minelayers, both in-of-combat and out-of-combat?

I've only used fusion mines as system defense assets, but my tactic of placing them at the enemy fleet warp in didn't seem very effective. Any other suggestions?

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:46 pm

I haven't tried it in SOTS2, but in Prime, Hivers could use minelayers pretty well in combat - just get ahead of the enemy and drop a field in their path while running away. Those phat Hiver butts can take the spankings like a pro and are quick enough to generally stay ahead of non-zuul ships for most of the game.

I'm assuming you could still pull it off, although beware of beam weapons.
Go Hiver or go home!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:25 pm

There are a lot more options to bring pain to kiting enemies (such as minelayers) in SotS2 than there were in SotS1. That said, the enemy does have to have brought at least one of them to the fight in question, and the tactical AI is still not too swift (for now, pending updates,) so you might be able to get it to run blindly though minefields the way it did in SotS1.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:23 am

One other thing to note about minelayers in fleets, they only travel at slow speeds. You can't tell them to go normal or max speed. Keep this in mind. Still mines can be very powerful. If you lucky to get Ionic Thrusters you will have more fun with mines. And don't forget to enable the weapon system once your ready to lay down the field and bring the pain.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 am

Hawawaa wrote:One other thing to note about minelayers in fleets, they only travel at slow speeds. You can't tell them to go normal or max speed. Keep this in mind. Still mines can be very powerful. If you lucky to get Ionic Thrusters you will have more fun with mines. And don't forget to enable the weapon system once your ready to lay down the field and bring the pain.

Is this theory crafting or practical experience?

I've tried mines multiple times and it has never felt worth it. If there is any PD at all, a fleet can go right through a minefield. But I suppose that's because I always face PD...
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 am

Experience. If you select the whole fleet you can't travel at faster speeds. If you don't select the minelayers then the fleet will travel quicker. Selecting minelayers by themselves you can only travel at slow speeds. Yes there is lots of counters so your mileage may vary. If you get lucky with a neighbor with no PD counters, enjoy. Also don't forget cloaking mines and leap mines. Be evil.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm pretty sure its a bug. I'd understand if they were slowed down while mine laying but the fact that their speed doubles when the mine section is destroyed is a bit ridiculous. I personally love minelayers but I prefer to use them for minefields. It is particularly nasty to place them at nodepoints. I also place them on top of my asteroid monitors and defense plats to guard them against close range fire.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 pm

I find them quite useful as it forces the enemy fleets to NOT move at overdrive speeds to threaten vulnerable colonies and stations.

Beyond this it also helps to saturate PD weapons fire if you're also attacking their fleets while they're within a minefield.

Return to “The Weapons”