Point Defence not shooting during approach

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mishka_shaw

Point Defence not shooting during approach

Post by Mishka_shaw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi all

I tried googling this problem but found nothing relevant so came to the forums for a shot at it.
The problem is simple and probably staring me in the face but...
My ships never fire their point defence systems until they actually engage the target.
Example: If attacking a colony the ships will slowly trundle towards the planet and only shoot down enemy missiles once they are in close orbit and thus firing their main weapons.

My PD's have perfect coverage, hold fire is off and I have tried every setting of attack (neutral/close to engage/pursuit .etc) but nothing seems to work.
Its not that much of a problem since my ships can hold out by the time they reach a colony but it is still rather irritating.

Any ideas what is causing this or is this intended?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Point Defence not shooting during approach

Post by ZedF » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Ships weapons will not fire while traveling at top speed. Generally if you have PD it's best to use normal speed on approaching a hostile planet.

The other situation where PD weapons will not fire is if you are still in accelerated time, but you generally should drop out of accelerated time once you are sufficiently close to an enemy planet. (You can still get pelted by enemy planet missiles for an extended duration if they know where your ships are but you aren't close enough to any enemy ship to drop out of accelerated time, so watch out for that.)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mishka_shaw

Post by Mishka_shaw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Ohhhh so speed factors into it. That actually makes a lot of sense since it would be harder to get a firing solution.
That'll teach me to have 1.5 speed running constantly.

Thanks

Breniir

Post by Breniir » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:15 pm

The 1.5 speed setting means that everything available is devoted to speed: weapons don't fire, sensor coverage is reduced, drones and BRs come back to the mothership. Use the speed setting to chase down something, reposition quickly, or get away from a bad situation. It's not a good idea in the middle of a brawl.
[...]

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 pm

umm its not an idea as much as how it actually works ;)

Return to “The Weapons”