So how do you use torpedo ships?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Karu

Re: So how do you use torpedo ships?

Post by Karu » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:48 am

It seems you don't know what inertialess means for Liir.
Liir don't (de)accelerate. They stop - instant. They go to maximum speed - instant. Changing direction is instant without loosing speed.
Same for their BR.
Morrigi BR need to slow down/stop to turn or fly a curve.

I agree that Liir top speed is very low in planetary combat. Their Armor and structure is not so good either. Making them easy pickings early/mid game ... except their torpedo section is strong enough to carry them through.

Their additional blue layer from their drive tech plus adamantium Armor makes them hard to brawl/fight lategame. Adding the Liir only MK 4 shield projector for the whole fleet including BR / BS making them a late game nightmare (techname: Focused Shielding).
Add to that their very good chances to advance cloak and Intangibility.

On the note of top speed: I agree with you partly. The "chasing" party needs to have a hunter as admiral to catch savely or go overdrive, which deactivates all weapons including PD, making them very vulnerable. Else it's a matter of distance of the 2 fleets who will win the engagement.

Sincerly

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Karu wrote:On the note of top speed: I agree with you partly. The "chasing" party needs to have a hunter as admiral to catch savely or go overdrive, which deactivates all weapons including PD, making them very vulnerable. Else it's a matter of distance of the 2 fleets who will win the engagement.

As a side note regarding chasing overall - I generally find it's far more effective to leverage direct movement orders to chase enemy ships as the pursuit stance will generally cause a lead ship to stay close and all the rest fall behind as they all attempt to follow the same path to the enemy. Instead plotting an encircling pattern to either side of the target while chasing it I've found to be the most effective and then reducing to normal speed when you've overtaken the enemy ship.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Karu wrote:Their additional blue layer from their drive tech plus adamantium Armor makes them hard to brawl/fight lategame.

That's kinda like saying that having tanks before 0 AD in Civ is somewhat of an advantage.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Karu

Post by Karu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:
Karu wrote:Their additional blue layer from their drive tech plus adamantium Armor makes them hard to brawl/fight lategame.

That's kinda like saying that having tanks before 0 AD in Civ is somewhat of an advantage.

If you priritize armor (good luck withthe rolls!), AM and drivetech it can be out befor the enemy can field their first DN.
So I shouldn't have called it lategame, it's quite doable turn ~100 to ~120.
Not to mention the drivetech gives a chance to phase out so that shots miss ...

Sincerly

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm not talking about the lategame part. More about the "having way better stuff is always a massive advantage" part.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 pm

There are plenty of weapons that reduce the effectiveness of blue layers - which rapidly brings the Liir back in line with the right weapon composition.

Heavy Rippers (Ignores 3 layers), War Quoit (light mount ignores 3 layers), Chakkar (Medium Ignores 4 layers), Chakram (Heavy - Ignores 5) and Meson Torps (Ignores 10 layers) are just a few random examples that negate that advantage completely in many cases.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:14 pm

If your Liir enemy is lucky enough to get Ada and Phase whatevers, you'll probably also get lucky enough to flub out on all of those.

At least you'll have some time to beat their LVs up before they get anywhere.(I swear i've seen mountains move faster)

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:If your Liir enemy is lucky enough to get Ada and Phase whatevers, you'll probably also get lucky enough to flub out on all of those.

Sure, but we're talking about tactics and strategy not luck ;)

There are plenty of lucky or unlucky things that can tank your game far easier than a Liir enemy with Adamantium Armor and Phase Dislocation.

Return to “The Weapons”