Thoughts on Projectors?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
SirPudd

Thoughts on Projectors?

Post by SirPudd » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:20 am

I don't know if this speaks more of the awesomeness of the game, or of my not-enough-gaming-time, but I've still been getting to see and try new things for the first time, and play new races.

One of those things I've just started exploring is Projectors. They seem like they have some pretty awesome potential, but am curious what others have found thru use.
So far, I've gotten to use them in exactly 1 engagement (playing as the Liir). Hard to say exactly how they did, as I completely forgot to check/remember the damage screen after combat. I had them in cruisers with a Fire Control command section. Out towards what I image to be the weapons max range, the accuracy seemed awfully low. But up close, it appeared to be pretty devastating.

So...thoughts anyone? What have others' experiences been with projectors?

Iejir_Isk

Re: Thoughts on Projectors?

Post by Iejir_Isk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:37 am

the deviation will help give a clue to accuracy, but, you have the right of it... it is a spray and pray weapon. but, up close v large targets can be qite devastating.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:08 pm

Projectors are high priority targets for me, with only boarding pods, assault shuttles and minelayers higher up my "kill it NOW!" list. :) A handful of Projector Cruisers can really hurt, especially ships with shields, DN's and LV's
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:29 am

I remember in SotS 1 having either a dreadnought or a cruiser with projectors and energy absorbers. I remember enemy ships pelting it with a bunch of heavy beam fire and the projector basically firing a nonstop barrage of deadly energy back at them. It was quite amusing.

I haven't tried this in SotS 2 but I can imagine the devastation that would ensue if you have projector/absorber ships against enemies heavily invested in energy weapons.
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

Return to “The Weapons”