A Good Heavy/Medium Combo for Liir

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Crazyshak48

A Good Heavy/Medium Combo for Liir

Post by Crazyshak48 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 am

So, in my current game (my first full length game of SOTS II I might add) I'm currently using a combination of Variable Phasers and Heavy AM cannons for my medium and heavy weapons. However, recent salvage has unlocked the meson beam, one of my old SOTS Prime favorites, which has me considering returning to my preferred Prime loadout of AM cannons in the medium mounts and meson beams in the heavy slots. I do have quantum capacitors to upgrade the ROF of my meson beams and phasers. I also have the option of using HEAP drivers, though I don't yet know if I'll get VRF or any of the other ballistic upgrade techs (not a sure thing with Liir).

I guess my thing is that I'm still getting used to the new armor and damage system, and I was hoping to get some good input from the community on a good late game medium/heavy combination for my dreadnoughts from my tech. Thanks for the help!

Enjelus

Re: A Good Heavy/Medium Combo for Liir

Post by Enjelus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:08 am

Meson Beams and AM Cannons are a solid combo, but if you're opponents have more than 2 permanent armor layers (LV or Adamantine DN's) or are using BR's I'd stick with the variable phasers.

Aranador

Re: A Good Heavy/Medium Combo for Liir

Post by Aranador » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Unfortunately the amount of variables in what your enemy is doing for defence make it difficult to provide any 'right' answer.

For what it is worth, the phaser is a dependable all round weapon with few real weaknesses - when in doubt, it is a fine choice.

However, the Antimatter cannon can do more total damage over time. "Can". They're a great stand off weapon, able to rip huge holes out of anything, but they're terrible in a brawl or against battle riders.

The 'correct' answer is - you would like a mix of both on ships designed to work as a fleet to maximise their strengths. The quick answer is - use the beams and experiment with the cannon.

Return to “The Weapons”