Merit to triple/dual turret AP/HEAP via gauss?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Tipsy3000

Merit to triple/dual turret AP/HEAP via gauss?

Post by Tipsy3000 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:52 am

in my past two games as Humans I thought it would be cool to try dual/triple barrel gauss AP/HEAP since they should be pretty effective vs most armor types (And adds 1000 coolness points cause who doesent like dual/triple turret style :D). Unfortunately both games I was mostly up against the liir so it was hard to gauge if it was making a difference compared to using mass driver/heavy driver variants apart from the shorter range.

I am going to start another game soon and perhaps try it out again but id thought to ask here to see if anyone else tried a dual/triple turret setup with AP/HEAP and found them good if not better then mass driver/heavy driver sister guns.

Pavane

Re: Merit to triple/dual turret AP/HEAP via gauss?

Post by Pavane » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 am

I've always thought that triple turrets were a waste of resources. Certainly two medium weapons in a heavy turret are better than three light weapons.
Stellar Union

Karu

Post by Karu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:39 am

Depends.

HEAP ( http://sots2.rorschach.net/HEAP_Rounds )
3x Small deal do 180 DPS (damage per second) to structure.
2x medium deal 240 DPS to structure.
1x large deals 270 DPSto structure. (2 armor piercing)

AP ( http://sots2.rorschach.net/AP_Gauss_Cannon )

3x small deals 150 DPSto structure.
2x medium deals 216 DPSto structure.
1x large deals 180 DPSto structure. (2 armor piercing)

I would allways go HEAP if I had the choice.
And only downgrade at maximum one size and only from the large turret to 2xmedium.
And then only if you need the tracking (f.e. against mass BR/destroyer or cruiser fleets).

my 2 cents.

Sincerly

Tipsy3000

Post by Tipsy3000 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Bout 60 turns in my Zuul game with 6 total players. Opened up with Gauss basic drivers and the first things I noticed is there doesn't seem to be a damage shortage. Admittedly my first contacts have been liir and human which don't necessarily have the strongest early game ships. The few benefits iv seen so far is more available supplies thus more range, more available crew, and the gauss shots on impact don't part with as much mass on the target. It feels like my guns over all are more accurate cause the enemy isnt flying around like a rag doll. The only issue I came across was fighting the Lv 4 station at the Liir homeworld after glassing the planet with assault ships and slave disks, there just wasnt enough fire power to kill it in a single run and the large area around the station prevented my cruisers getting extra close like I normally would so I couldnt bring to bare all my guns. So I brought out some strafe cruisers decked out with mass drivers and it didnt last very long when I returned.

So long story short so far super early game triple barrels seem pretty ok vs cruisers but anything bigger it seems to faulter due to range issue with basic gauss, hopefully this changes with AP/HEAP along with even less mass on impact with AP style rounds.

Karu

Post by Karu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Tipsy3000 wrote:So long story short so far super early game triple barrels seem pretty ok vs cruisers but anything bigger it seems to faulter due to range issue with basic gauss, hopefully this changes with AP/HEAP along with even less mass on impact with AP style rounds.

Until you play vs an AI (next patch!!) / player that kites you with missile-spam.
As for the "bouncing" - set your weapons to alpha strike. Also only the large turrets let the enemy bounce more often / stronger then the medium one.
Take the laser for the large weapons -> more supply.

Sincerly

Tipsy3000

Post by Tipsy3000 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Good! I prefer to fight in the shade! :D

Gauss uses so little supply I dont mind it in the bigger turrets + energy cap on Zuul ships are very low, I can barely get away with UV lasers on all the big mounts. personally not a fan of teching up heavily on energy weapons as zuul, tends to be very expensive both ship cost wise and tech wise. Thanks for the tips for combat gun stances gonna try them out when I continue.

Return to “The Weapons”