Morrigi Weapon Advice

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
shadowclasper

Morrigi Weapon Advice

Post by shadowclasper » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:25 pm

So I'm new to the game, relatively speaking (which is to say I've only just gotten back into playing it after ages and ages, and finding out about the new releases and all that), and I've always been a big morrigi player. I know morrigi tend to go for drones, energy weapons, and beams, but I was curious if anybody could give me a run down of the technologies I should shoot for as a Morrigi player, and how I should put them together? I know that as a first turn player I should shoot to make prototypes that'll last long and allow lots of retrofitting (eg: energy weapon placements and such, missiles in the rear section, etc.), but what else should I look to go for and advance along? And why should I do it? (I'm asking this prememptively so that I don't have to ask it later and look like I'm doubting you, I just like to know the reasons behind a choice).

edit: I also tend to go for a drone heavy fleet, ever since that "A Murder of Crows" trailer back in the first game with the dreadnaught launching tons of drones I've always adored watching my fleets release bajillions of fighters. I understand though that that might not be the best strategy to go with Morrigi anymore, since our dreadnaughts are really good now and it might pay more to invest in big old guns on tons of them instead of blotting out the stars with all the drones I throw at my enemies?

Karu

Re: Morrigi Weapon Advice

Post by Karu » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Speaking for the Crows:

- You get a "free of charge" fitting for your light freighter when you research them. If you got PD before that your frighter will have PD!
- Basic tech-choices still apply - they are good for every race but sometimes need to get delayed or get prioritized from a Morrigi standpoint that would look like this without sorting: Rapid-Pulse Laser as PD, Phaser, Fusion Torpedo, Plasma Focusing, Heavy Planet Missiles, Fusion Mine, Enviromental Tailoring, MAgno Ceramic, improved reflective coating, Material Application, Advance sensors, expert systems, combat algorithms, FTL Eco, orbital dry docks, drone sats, advance drones, empathy
- Retrofit your drones to use Xray laser - then retrofit your ships and drone sats.
- depending on travel distance you want either a CnC+4 colo ships (rebase to colo!)or a full fleet of CnC + grav + Colos (7,4 ly and shorter is allways a full fleet, as is when you colonize a 2nd planet in a system - just rebase then): reason is simple - every 2 turns support is better then every 3 or more.
- drone sats are good to bolster vs aggressive players or randoms
- get a navy station (without upgrades) in any system (you get more defense assets, can store fleets ect.) and you only need 1 additional police cutter to make it "save" against pirate raids (if you get to near to a pirate base or zuul they will still be very frequent).
- use your speed to intercept f.e. hiver gate mission fleets, play hit and run with the enemy - attack systems from wired angles.
- the combination minelayer + deepscan in defense gives you: a minefield (2cp) and a big scanrange so you can react better enemy fleet movement. Keep the ship as cheap as possible (no armor, 'no' weapons)
- kickstarting your trade with building 6 to 12 freighter might be a good idea - phasing them out later or building all freighter yourself.
- keep 1 r+s ship in your fleet when you nuke planets ... you might get viable salvage out of it (or when you fight fleets that have a tech you want but failed)
- add graveboats to every fleet except your smallest colo fleets (they might need them still to reach systems)
- a grav boat SLOWs enemy ships, missiles and even torpedos to make it easier for your PD to shoot them down or get your brawler easier into range ... take 2 graveboats for even greater effect (effect is: 15% slower in 5000 range)
- keep your money over 1 million to get economic growth!
- if you hit savings 30 mio: +1 Tax
- if you research empathy: +1 Tax
- have at least for every 5 system a construction fleet.
- try to keep your provinces as small as possible - every province should have an defense fleet on patrol (at best it covers all systems with that).

If you focus on drones - remember that more is better because the more the PD fire spread the better. Also remember your heavy drones can get armor and coating! Support them with (rapid fire) missiles to saturate the enemy PD even more.
It maybe worth it to dip into AP or even better HEAP for your heavy drones.
For the early dreads take the carrier-type (heavy drones or BR) - the other dreads need sjet to get very strong. On that topic allways take 1 Support dread with you - it doubles for support and R+S!

Hope that helps :)

Sincerly

shadowclasper

Post by shadowclasper » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:35 pm

It does I think, I'll try it out in my next game :)

but from a weapons stand point, what you're saying is, I think

1) when you have drones, go for as many as I can field, and back them up with torpedoes and missiles, so that I'm screwing with enemy PD as much as possible.
2) Research my own PD as quickly as possible so that my freighters will have them right out of the gate.
3) go for xrays on my drones

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:03 am

My personal research strategy:

Get Disruptor torps. If you start with free techs, you will have this already. Then spend the next 20-30 turns only doing feasibility studies on techs that would take 8 or less turns to complete. You get a feel for your tech tree, and you will actually keep your economy fairly healthy doing this.

So you are committing yourself to 20-30 turns with no real tech advancement other than the cheap disruptors.

Turn 1 Ship designs:

Light Drone: Best pulse laser you have.

Colony ship, Supply ship, Repair ship, Command ship, Drone Carrier: Hammerhead bridge, Camel module, missiles, green beamers. Missiles as starred weapon, use stand off range, green beamers are a pseudo-PD.

Drone Satellite: Missiles and pulse lasers. Could do green beamers with the intent to retrofit to variable lasers, but I find I usually just make a new design with heavy armour and stuff later, rather than mess around trying to refit these guys - it is just too much hassle :P

Brawler: Battle bridge, Armour mission. Particle beamers, twin pulse lasers in the medium mounts that fire forward, missiles in the ones that don't. Pulse lasers or green beamers in the lights depending on your power balance and their covering arc. A fusion module and 2 camels. This guy is a general purpose brawler good for dealing firepower to any random. Definitely upgrade to X-ray pulse lasers if you don't start with them.

If you have disruptors at the start, or when you research them:

Ghostbuster: Strafe bridge, Torpedo section. Mass drivers in the medium strafe mounts, disruptors in the torp tubes, pulse lasers in the light strafe and the forward firing mediums, missiles in the rear mediums. Green beamers in the lights. Fusion Module. Energy balance for this ship is tight, you may have to juggle your medium turrets with more missiles, or fall back to plasmas for some of them. Two of these ships will let you defeat the ghost ship with minimal damage if you use them well (which isn't hard, pretty much just put your whole fleet on pursuit will usually do the trick - just watch that these ships have clear fire lanes and are not just hitting another of your own ships)

If you have disruptors at the start:

Torp bombardier: Torpedo section. bridge could be battle or hammerhead. Missiles and green beamers. Disruptors at the start - to be refit later with plasmas or photons when you get them. This is a firepower support ship. You could also build it as a brawler - it has plenty of medium turrets that fire forward, so twin pulse lasers or plasma cannons (to be refit to fusion) give it plenty of close range punch.

A typical defence fleet then consists of 1 CC, 2 brawler, 2 drone, 2 ghostbuster/torp ships. Back it up with a pair of drone sats. This can easily defeat any random encounter (even the ghost ship) and will see you through the early turns. Remember you have 25 turns to get ready for the randoms - aim to have your 3 original worlds defended by then. It can be done.

shadowclasper

Post by shadowclasper » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:56 am

So my initial feasibility studies should all be things that can be finished by what? The 15th turn to give me some leeway in those 8 turn researches for something like disrupters if I have to research them?

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:21 am

In general, if the tech will be finished in 8 turns or less, the feasibility will complete in 1 turn, and you will get a partial credit for money spent 'over' what was needed. This helps keep the budget in the black. Feasibility will always cost you a turn, even when your economy is 100 times more powerful, so you might as well get them out of the way now when money is tight.

It also lets you discover if you've missed out on some key techs, and plan ahead a bit. For example, if you miss out on shield techs, but have good luck in the armour techs, then earlier DNs might be a good idea. Conversely, miss armour techs but get shield techs, and you might want to stay with cruisers longer. Miss out on PD techs, and you might check other techs you might not usually bother with.

Mostly though, it is a way of getting a full turns value of research (the feasibility study) done, but without breaking the budget.

As for disruptors, those I say get ASAP, and get ships with them deployed by turn 25.

Karu

Post by Karu » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:47 pm

The last 200h of play (and around 20 games) i saw no ghostship.

Normaly 1 or 2 science stations are enough to bait the ghost ship to not do massive damage to planets / other stations.
And it's way cheaper. Also ghostship can spawn at turn 10.

If you play on medium to big maps deleted your navy station lvl 4 and rebuild instantly a level 1.
This will help your money and research out a lot. If needed upgrade it to level 3.
Upgrading moduls and even upgrading the station is cheaper then the lvl4 maintainence.

Feasability is done when you did "10% of potentional research" for that tech. Doing it for techs early is a good way to get a feel, still if you do it for 8 techs that would be also a tech you might want to grab (f.e. X-ray laser or enviromental tailoring). So always thnk about what you need. Never autopilot.

Sincerly

shadowclasper

Post by shadowclasper » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Okay, so what techs are one's morrigi's are going to need to look into early on?

Obviously Energy Weapons, Missiles, Drones, Armor, Shields, and Psy (since psy is actually low on the Morrigi's list of probabilities, but might as well find out early on how likely you are to be able to check into it ehn?)

FTL economics goes and it's lines go without saying, given Morrigi's need for a strong economy.

Karu

Post by Karu » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:42 pm

shadowclasper wrote:Okay, so what techs are one's morrigi's are going to need to look into early on?

Obviously Energy Weapons, Missiles, Drones, Armor, Shields, and Psy (since psy is actually low on the Morrigi's list of probabilities, but might as well find out early on how likely you are to be able to check into it ehn?)

FTL economics goes and it's lines go without saying, given Morrigi's need for a strong economy.

Combat Techs:

early: (Laser) PD, Drone SATs. Magno ceramic, Plasma Focusing, (improved) Refelctive Coating, Fusion Torpedo
mid: Phaser, HCL, heavy drones, Deep Scan (8ly scanrange galaxy map)

Eco techs:
early: enviromental tailoring, FTL Eco, Empathy ( = tax +1, gives fear and inspire as PsyCombat techs)
mid: expert systems, telekinese

Sincerly
Sincerly

Karu

Post by Karu » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:28 pm

i forgot something vital it seems:

Medium Emitter and Heavy drones.
A deadly combination or even in pure combat ME-Armor CR a deadly weapon.

Sincerly

Janssenhops

Post by Janssenhops » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:20 am

Good points, Ive been employing them a bit myself. Its been a nice change from using the Hivers since i started, those guys are all about the broadsides it seems so you have to maneuver your fleet like an 18th century frigate line.

I am aware that you can shoot individual weapons but i haven't played long enough to get weapons that are accurate enough to do that, well at least till recently with the new patch game runs pretty stable so i can actually enjoy the experience.

Return to “The Weapons”