Hvy Laser vs Beams

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
SirPudd

Hvy Laser vs Beams

Post by SirPudd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm

So far I've always used the Heavy Combat Laser line of weapons instead of the Neutron Beam line. Anyone have any thoughts on preferences or advantages/disadvantages?

Azrael Ultima

Re: Hvy Laser vs Beams

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:36 pm

What do you mean "instead"? I usually use both if the odds are good.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

SirPudd

Post by SirPudd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Usually I don't have that much "spare" research capacity to research both. I'd rather get further down one tree then part-way on both. And, like I said...both would require ~ double the research.
Even looking at the damage patterns, I don't see an obvious winner. The wider "explosion" at the end of the Meson Beam (http://sots2.rorschach.net/Meson_Beam) seems pretty awesome. But, does the "blue armor" layers strip off some of the top of the damage pattern, or the bottom? In my mind, that would make the difference. If two blue layers just means the "explosion" at the end of the beam doesn't go as deep, that's still pretty decent penetration and damage. But, if those blue layers take off the bottom-most 2 layers where that "explosion" happens, then the beams seem a lot less powerful.

Karu

Post by Karu » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:05 am

SirPudd wrote:Usually I don't have that much "spare" research capacity to research both. I'd rather get further down one tree then part-way on both. And, like I said...both would require ~ double the research.
Even looking at the damage patterns, I don't see an obvious winner. The wider "explosion" at the end of the Meson Beam (http://sots2.rorschach.net/Meson_Beam) seems pretty awesome. But, does the "blue armor" layers strip off some of the top of the damage pattern, or the bottom? In my mind, that would make the difference. If two blue layers just means the "explosion" at the end of the beam doesn't go as deep, that's still pretty decent penetration and damage. But, if those blue layers take off the bottom-most 2 layers where that "explosion" happens, then the beams seem a lot less powerful.

Patterns are reduced from top to bottom. So the "explosion" will happen fully.
The obvious difference for Beams vs HCL is the movability. HCLs are facing to the front (execluding LV) while Beams are on turrets, so you can kite / shoot missiles down with them and move a lot more (and mitigating damage that way).
HCL is a necessaty for DN age though as some sections require them (Flagship CnC would be a prime example), as are beams.

Sincerly

SirPudd

Post by SirPudd » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:26 am

Karu wrote:HCL is a necessaty for DN age though as some sections require them (Flagship CnC would be a prime example), as are beams.

How are they a necessity & what do you mean some sections require them? I was pretty sure I've both built and killed Flagship CnC's w/o HCL.

Karu

Post by Karu » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:09 am

Things like HCL or torpedo get you front and middle sections (depending on race).
The Flagship CnC needs HCL and HVY missle to be unlocked on top of Flagship CNC tech.

To kill these things HCL or beam might not be needed :)

Sincerly

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:03 am

SirPudd wrote:
Karu wrote:HCL is a necessaty for DN age though as some sections require them (Flagship CnC would be a prime example), as are beams.

How are they a necessity & what do you mean some sections require them? I was pretty sure I've both built and killed Flagship CnC's w/o HCL.

You definitely didn't build one, as all Flagship sections have HCL mounts and can't be build if you don't have any.

Besides, you still need a large mount weapon even if you have HCLs.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Other than unlocking ship sections that require HCL, whether you pursue the Heavy Beam line or Beam line is very situational. The Morrigi have exceptional Blazer cruisers, so it would be make sense for them to research Heavy Beams as a priority. Beams are mounted in heavy turrets so they have the ability to hit faster moving targets with greater firing arcs than Heavy Beams, which generally must target objects straight ahead. Beams can also be mounted on Spinal Battle Riders, extending the usefulness of researching that tech. line, and they are much more effective in suppressing enemy planets. If enemy fleets are predominately DN, then Heavy Beams work well especially with their much higher critical hit bonus. If enemy fleets are predominately CR and BR then Beams would be more effective.
Last edited by Pavane on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stellar Union

SirPudd

Post by SirPudd » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Ahha! Makes sense. Guess I have always at least grabbed the first one in the line. I forgot that tech group was a pre-req for some ship sections. Thanks!

leonelmcley

Post by leonelmcley » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:04 am

I am new into this game and i use both the laser and the beams i can say that both are working so good.
Warning protected by nunchaku

kenneroids

Post by kenneroids » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:58 am

yeah,me too i have been always using those two and those are working so good.

Return to “The Weapons”