Bio-Weapon "NaN" Combat Result?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Pavane

Bio-Weapon "NaN" Combat Result?

Post by Pavane » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:18 pm

I have never used Bio-Weapons before, and I was curious to see the result. After the battle the post combat screen shows the Plague icon with "NaN" where normally the number of hits inflicted is shown. What does the "NaN" mean and how can I tell how effective they were? I saw the green puffs of smoke upon impact but the population semi-circle didn't budge. I assume that this indicates that the Humans might have the antidote, but I have no experience with this weapon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stellar Union

Torezu

Re: Bio-Weapon "NaN" Combat Result?

Post by Torezu » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:38 pm

NaN in any other context means "Not a Number", and I'm guessing that simply means that the damage didn't show up during the battle. Since bio-weapons in SotS affect the planet that was hit during subsequent turns, I'm guessing you'll just have to wait and see how the planet is affected. If the population doesn't drop, they have the antidote.

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks. "Not a Number" wasn't intuitive.
Stellar Union

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:55 pm

It's not meant to be and displaying it is a minor bug. It probably means the game is trying to display some uninitialized data.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:17 pm

The tricky thing about Bioweapons is the effect happens between turns, after the combat itself has already resolved.

Each missile has a % of population that they effect, and the plague continues until either the population quarantines enough folks to survive it - or the plague continues to spread and the world dies.

Generally in my experience I don't both with plagues below Assimilation plague. Assimilation plague provides a significant benefit above and beyond the rest of the plagues, and something that simply annihilating the populace with assault shuttles doesn't provide.

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:00 am

"NaN" is the result typically received in programming when doing floating point arithmetic and dividing by 0, or some other undefined operation. So, there is some kind of math glitch that isn't being caught and the NaN value is accidentally being displayed.
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

Return to “The Weapons”