Independent Races

Moderator: Erinys

jp161

Re: Independent Races

Post by jp161 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:58 pm

I'd expect SotS 2 to have more Independent Races compared to SotS 1.

Probably quite a few of the main races' splinter groups are out there by now.
With the the 'ask questions first, shoot later' approach, they might just make a note of the pre-warp (oops, wrong series. Well, one-sevent-right maybe 8) ) people instead of just terraforming the old population out - especially if they couldn't stop you anyway.

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:45 am

Thank you for explaining the historical reasoning behind the use of this term. Please be aware that I find this "explanation" as teeth-grittingly offensive as the attitudes behind it and the words that stem from it. The fact that they have become entrenched does not make me love them, any more than I love other demeaning words.

Sorry, it was a bit of an irrelevant tangent. I have ADHD and I tend to go off on side threads when I'm explaining something. I only meant to say that there is some rational justification for the attitude of the creators of the term in the original context, as many tabletop players and game masters will want to know how much of a book they're going to be able to make use of, and if they're running a homebrew setting, they have to strip the flavor out of any new features before they can incorporate it. So I can see why they would simply find it an annoyance.

This is not to say that they're right, exactly, only that I can see things from their point of view if I try.

In computer games there's obviously little or no justification for the attitude since there's no support for a homebrewed setting in any games that I'm aware of, short of massive modding which isn't always possible. Therefore the setting and background is obviously as important as anything else, since you can't have a game without a world to set it in, and people aren't free to create their own worlds for electronic games.

That said, I do think colloquial meaning, intent, and context matter more than the roots of a word when determining its offensiveness. I'm gay, but I'm fine with terms like fag and fairy if the intent behind them is not insulting. It's far better in my opinion to co-opt your detractors' terminology and drain it of its power, rather than get annoyed and try to get everyone to use different words.

I am however sorry if you felt my post was offensive in any way.

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:05 pm

jp161 wrote:I'd expect SotS 2 to have more Independent Races compared to SotS 1.

Of course, as we have exactly ZERO in Prime ;)

jp161

Post by jp161 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Simetra wrote:
jp161 wrote:I'd expect SotS 2 to have more Independent Races compared to SotS 1.

Of course, as we have exactly ZERO in Prime ;)

Well, as I said in the message you snipped down to one line: I meant all independents. And that includes main race independents as well and those most definitely are in SotS 1. :roll:

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah, but aren't they more independant colonies? They are not really independant races by definition, are they? ;)

jp161

Post by jp161 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Simetra wrote:Yeah, but aren't they more independant colonies? They are not really independant races by definition, are they? ;)

Are you being serious or just ... Well, something I better not say out loud. !censor

Whatever your reasoning for this nitpicking is, let me try to explain it again. :!:

I played SotS 1 a LOT, probably too much. But during that time I did come across these 'independents'. In SotS 1 era, these independent colonies were the only independents around. Now to adress this difference, I specifically made a point about them being different. Do re-read my post again if you missed it.

Now if the BIGHUGE thing is my wording, my deepest apologies for offending your sense of correctlywordinging.

So let me re-word my old post in hopes of clearing this afwul missunderstanding.
jp161 wrote:I'd expect SotS 2 to have much wider selection of Independent Colonies compared to SotS 1. In both splinter colonies of the main playable races as well as new independent races.

:roll:

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:55 pm

:bangdesk:

Sometimes I just need this ... especially now without my school ... :thumbsup:

(so no offense here, just a bit too much of ... me ;))

hagop

Post by hagop » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 pm

If I am reading this right we can't uplift indies, or even just snatch up a bunch of the buggers and drop them off on another world to bred up our supply of boarding pod fodder I mean elite Gurkha boarding forces.
"Soldiers Live and wonder why"

jp161

Post by jp161 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Simetra wrote::bangdesk:

Sometimes I just need this ... especially now without my school ... :thumbsup:

(so no offense here, just a bit too much of ... me ;))

Ah, good good.

I actually considered re-wording it before posting, but I just couldn't be bothered as I thought people would get it anyway.... :bangdesk:

amtie

Post by amtie » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:37 am

Wow, going through this thread's 5 pages is like travelling a long journey, from nice prairies to battlefields to towns... *ahem*.

Will there be any hostile IRs? They obviously wouldn't be much of a threat, but like, for example, they'd either prefer a certain faction (e.g. Liir, Tarka, etc) due to some apparent attribute or government type, or have a bigger bonus for making an alliance with.

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 am

Wow guys.....i have to say, the sheer amount of creativity that is being put in to this aspect of the game makes me so happy. Too often these days you get games made with little regard story/background and so on. I am really looking forward to having page after page to read in an encyclopedia. Hell, thats what most of the first 4 hours of gameplay would probably be. Game paused reading everything i can get hold of.

Honestly, in my opinion, creative writing is what makes a game for me.

Bit of a random question, i dont suppose there would be the option of (say once you have uncovered it all) to download the full encycolpedia in to a pdf file or something else i can stick in an e-reader for bedtime reading is there? :D
johnnyrebb wrote:I giggity'd my wife and Made a whole new person

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Yup, most games this days are about the ultra high definition eyebrow character rendering, blowing stuff up and fast phased online encounters that last lest than 5 minutes, where stopping to think your next movement instead of keep the click-fest means certain death.

Not that good graphics and tons of explosions are bad, but alone they can hold together a history (not a logical or interesting one anyway). I love the hard work behind this game, with the history being developed for it, setting aside the incredible graphics it have, you really fell immersed on it by the background alone.

By the way, something I learned from this thread is to not use the term "fluff" so wildly anymore, I did believed too that it was a synonymous of background or history and not a derogatory term.
Imagine your own funny quote here.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:05 am

According to the local goddess, Arinn, "fluff" actually is a derogatory term. Personally I have no reason to doubt that.
Just a friendly advice: Might not wanna wrestle her about it.

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:21 am

Yes I think you can spread independent races throughout worlds, just like you can with alien civilians in SotS 1. Presumably researching Xenotech helps you attract them and integrate them into your empire.

Just as Science Stations study scientific anomalies, I can imagine some station built at the independent race's system would help somehow.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Anyway, back to the topic of independent races!

Let's assume that an empire has minimal control over an independent world or system. More like a protectorate than absolute imperial control.

Will it be possible for another empire to use espionage to instigate rebellion in these independent worlds?

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”