Independent Races

Moderator: Erinys

Sagerk

Re: Independent Races

Post by Sagerk » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Korgan wrote:technically, it had no negative meaning originally, well unless you think cute little baby birds or lemon pie negative ;)
.. guess we can blame hollywood for it becoming negative :p
Myself, i've always preferred to use fluff to repair my windsocks :angel:

Though current modern usage it has become more of a neutral term as it can represent both positive and negative depending on the mindset of the person using or hearing the term(I blame this from its usage in the era of MMO's), we're in Arinn's home right now and we should just respect the fact that she finds the term negative and not use it if at all possible.

Bingo :thumbsup:

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Back on topic?
Naja wrote:Let's assume that an empire has minimal control over an independent world or system. More like a protectorate than absolute imperial control.

Will it be possible for another empire to use espionage to instigate rebellion in these independent worlds?

I believe it will be. However, it depends on how exactly protectorates are defined in-game, and the effects of morale and relationships on protectorates' actions, among other things. It might be easier to incite revolt/rebellion in colonies than protectorates, just based on the closer connection to the people in the enemy empire.

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:47 pm

No biggies my emperor, with this new weapon platform all systems will fall in line to your biding and you will be able to dissolve the senate! Those pesky rebels won't stand a chance against it. :lol:

On a serious note, I wonder the strategic implications of your attitude towards "lessen" races, and if it's possible for them to become a "mayor" race by stealing tech from you and then kicking you in the groin out of their system.
Imagine your own funny quote here.

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Lord Baal wrote:if it's possible for them to become a "mayor" race by stealing tech from you and then kicking you in the groin out of their system.

Independent races will not be able to become stronger than the main factions within the time frame of the game.

blackstar

Post by blackstar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Gwenio wrote:
Lord Baal wrote:if it's possible for them to become a "mayor" race by stealing tech from you and then kicking you in the groin out of their system.

Independent races will not be able to become stronger than the main factions within the time frame of the game.

Until an expansion :twisted:

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 pm

blackstar wrote:
Gwenio wrote:

Until an expansion :twisted:

You mean until the plot-timeframe moves forward sufficiently. :thumbsup:

blackstar

Post by blackstar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 pm

I'll be looking at every minor race for clues :D

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:19 pm

blackstar wrote:Until an expansion :twisted:

For a sec I thought you said explode! :bangdesk:

That said. It will be interesting to see how they interact or not with the six major powers. Yes i think we will see more of them later on if not earlier.

Adamfostas

Post by Adamfostas » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:49 pm

What sort of diplomatic options will we have for engaging with minor races? Will be able to, for example, pressure them into granting us control of their foreign policy a la European colonial powers while ostensibly allowing them to govern their own internal affairs? Will we be able to negotiate exclusive trading rights? There's a lot of scope for intrigue on this front.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Independent Races can function like any other Independent world or system, although you also have the opportunity to study them and their way of life, if you have the patience.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:33 pm

Mmmm.... looking forward to finding out what unique benefits studying them yields for the empires. And, potentially, a more extensive entry in the SotSpedia?
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

fibio

Post by fibio » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Erinys wrote:Independent Races can function like any other Independent world or system, although you also have the opportunity to study them and their way of life, if you have the patience.

--Arinn

Don't mind that trailing trojan producing anomalous amounts of heat, we assure you that there aren't aliens observing our every move from their kilometer long battleship. ;)
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Adamfostas

Post by Adamfostas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:12 am

Hmm. Can I interpret this to mean that the Xeno-tech tree could just as easily be called the Xenthropology tree?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:14 am

Always has been. The evolution of the universe over time just takes the hard-won knowledge of the Other and transforms it into simple political science.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Erinys wrote: you also have the opportunity to study them and their way of life, if you have the patience.

--Arinn

Anal probing inbound!

(sorry if it sound rude, but I couldn't resist!)
Imagine your own funny quote here.

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”