Elder Races

Moderator: Erinys

Casteroflight

Re: Elder Races

Post by Casteroflight » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:02 pm

wingren013 wrote:actially that is a very likely possibility. however what i was saying is that an advanced race could manipulate other races using something very big and dangerous to cause those species to be in a perpetual state of wartime economy.

Mild Spoiler for Babylon 5: Kinda like the Shadows?

On another note, has anyone discovered the System Killers in Sots][? If so, how do they look/act?

ForgedAscendant

Post by ForgedAscendant » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:50 am

Often players will encounter only remnants of technology left behind by an Elder Race, some of which can be quite wonderful...or quite dangerous.

To date I have only encountered 2; Locusts and Morriggi Astroid monitors. And my question is by "wonderful" do you mean the player can potentually manipulate some of these technologies/beings to use them to their own benifit or is the situation more like stand back and watch as they light you up like a christmas tree? (What I mean is like settleing a system and letting the ancient monitors take care of any intruders...including you if you get too close. What about something like constructing a sacrifical fleet to intercept a Locust, provoc it, and then flee to an enemy system :twisted: )

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:47 pm

When I say "quite wonderful"...I mean that they are beautiful and glorious and powerful, and they do wondrous things...like cause the Biosphere of every planet in a solar system to skyrocket, or collect astronavigational data for millions of years. If you could capture and decrypt the knowledge base of the Von Neumann devices...well, let's just say the there are many astronomers who would happily trade a body part for that data.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

sob

Post by sob » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Erinys wrote:When I say "quite wonderful"...I mean that they are beautiful and glorious and powerful, and they do wondrous things...like cause

--Arinn

A entire solar system to die, and mine a plant of every thing
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:58 am

That would fall under the "dangerous" category. :twisted:

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

sob

Post by sob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Erinys wrote:That would fall under the "dangerous" category. :twisted:

--Arinn

Wonderfully dangerous
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:52 am

sob wrote:
Erinys wrote:That would fall under the "dangerous" category. :twisted:

--Arinn

Wonderfully dangerous

"You admire it..."

"I admire its purity."

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:03 am

+1 Mr. Boom.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

The_Stapler

Post by The_Stapler » Thu May 09, 2013 3:52 am

cameron112497 wrote:On a serious note. Anybody willing to build something like the VN must be obsessed with knowledge. Why would anybody want to know what things are like 3 galaxys over? What type of people would use that many recourses just to get pure unusable data? Assuming that the VN wre expensive to develop that is.

Reminds me of the flying brains from futurama

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”