Elder Races

Moderator: Erinys

mistervec

Re: Elder Races

Post by mistervec » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:15 pm

It dwells, at least partially, within the Meniscus. Perhaps what we are seeing isn't the vessel proper, but rather the shape of the envelope it uses to travel about in space-time.
This message brought to you by:

Mister Vec's Magical Space Haberdashery

"It is cold in the dark depths of space. Remember to wear a hat."

Jakegamer1

Post by Jakegamer1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Whenever I think of the Puppetmaster's creator(s) I always imagine Sauron's line to Saruman "Build me an army worthy of Mordor!" Ironically, the Puppetmaster in this scenario is the puppet, Saruman.

This brings to mind another question, we know the Von Neumonns have encountered the System Killer and thus we have the Von Neumonn Warship. What would happen if the Puppetmaster and the Peace Keeper encountered one another. I'm sure that the PK wouldn't take too kindly to someone stealing armies, and the PM would be like 'ooh shiny!'.

mistervec

Post by mistervec » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Jakegamer1 wrote:This brings to mind another question, we know the Von Neumonns have encountered the System Killer and thus we have the Von Neumonn Warship. What would happen if the Puppetmaster and the Peace Keeper encountered one another. I'm sure that the PK wouldn't take too kindly to someone stealing armies, and the PM would be like 'ooh shiny!'.

It really depends on how the Puppetmaster does its thing, doesn't it? It's possible that the PM could take over Ortgay. If Ortgay's engrammatic nature renders him immune to such hijinx, he might simply destroy the Puppetmaster and its accompanying fleet. Arinn could probably tell us, but I'd rather leave it ambiguous.
This message brought to you by:

Mister Vec's Magical Space Haberdashery

"It is cold in the dark depths of space. Remember to wear a hat."

Formid

Post by Formid » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am

mistervec wrote:It dwells, at least partially, within the Meniscus. Perhaps what we are seeing isn't the vessel proper, but rather the shape of the envelope it uses to travel about in space-time.

Or the three dimensional shadow of a fourth dimensional object.

Loser

Post by Loser » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:22 pm

I am quite sure that whatever minor trap on planets is in SOTS 2 is the hint for the expansion/ number 3. I mean we had slavers for the Zuul and Colony traps for the Morrigi

Not to mention new GM..

corruptroulette

Post by corruptroulette » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:42 pm

are the van neuman ships making a return?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Oooooh yes. :twisted:

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Brogatar

Post by Brogatar » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Why do I want to run in fear now?

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

corruptroulette wrote:are the van neuman ships making a return?

There have been some images of them in SotS2. See http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sword-of-the-stars-ii/images/0/14/ for example.

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Von Neumann! :evil:

I've been playing a lot of SotS the last two weeks getting psyched for SotS ][ and the last two games I've played I was unable to locate their home world despite spamming sensor stations all over the map. I even left the pitiful Humans one planet in the middle of the spiral so that I could eradicate the VNs. Grr.

edit: spelling
Last edited by vaccum_pony on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 pm

vaccum_pony wrote:Von Neumann! :evil:

I've been playing a lot of SotS the lat two weeks getting psyched for SotS ][ and the last two games I've played I was unable to locate their home world despite spamming sensor stations all over the map. I even left the pitiful Humans one planet in the middle of the spiral so that I could eradicate the VNs. Grr.

I found one. Took me a fleet of fifty combat-dreadnoughts, twelve of those in casualties, and several turns (necessitating a repair fleet), but I got them. (Their homeworld spawned directly behind mine on a 2D map.) The siege was excellent, but the plunder was slightly underwhelming.

Spoilers regarding a VN homeworld: (Not sure if it should be spoilered, but just in case..)

I got a Size 10, 24,000 Resource, Climate Hazard ~300 world that for some bizarre reason I couldn't colonize. At all. Ended up strip mining it and using it to pad out some ex-Zuul worlds that needed the resources, but I was somewhat disappointed by it, after having to destroy a freakin' moon because it was shooting missiles at me. Also, berserkers and Neo-Berserkers get all of my hate. All of it. Though accidentally popping a regular ol' VN Mothership with one of the batteries on one of my DNs was pretty satisfying.

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:46 pm

The only games I've ever been able to actually field a fleet to a VN home world I've been playing Hiver. I'm sure it's just dumb luck...

Mockery: is that Warren Ellis in your avatar?
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 am

vaccum_pony wrote:The only games I've ever been able to actually field a fleet to a VN home world I've been playing Hiver. I'm sure it's just dumb luck...

Mockery: is that Warren Ellis in your avatar?

No, Joseph Kucan, I believe.

Kane, if you ever played C&C.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:31 am

Mockery wrote:Spoilers regarding a VN homeworld: (Not sure if it should be spoilered, but just in case..)
I got a Size 10, 24,000 Resource, Climate Hazard ~300 world that for some bizarre reason I couldn't colonize. At all.

In prime, you can never colonize the VN HW, regardless of its CH. It is intended behavior- so you didn't miss out on anything. :thumbsup:
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

ignus

Post by ignus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 pm

The reason being that it was built from scratch by VN, so it's not livable by the organic specieses.

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”