STATIONS

Moderator: Erinys

Torezu

Re: STATIONS

Post by Torezu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Tavior wrote:@Torezu Diplomatic and Tribute BOTH have 40 modules. Why would I remove this from my calculation since I only count once? You are either using tribute or diplomatic or in case of Hiver diplomatic and gate on top of the other ones.

There are 6 kinds of stations. You can only ever use 5 (4 for most races). You counted all 6. You don't see the issue with that? :|

So yes, Hivers can have 9,450 modules in 30 systems, everyone else can have 7,290, whether it's Suul'ka Horde with a Tribute station or someone else with a Diplomatic station. It's kind of a moot point though, since I doubt anyone will ever have that many, unless they're playing a fun game against Easy AI's, have a ton of money, and are really bored.

nighthaunt

Post by nighthaunt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:12 pm

I don't imagine, following the fewer more expensive ethos of ships inSOTS ][, that you will be looking at a great many stations across an empire, unlike SOTS prime.

Tier 1 and 2 stations may be quite common, but still expensive, although I suspect a Tier 5 station will coast as much, if not more than an LV. Hiver Gate Station at Tier 5 also doubles up as the Gate technology Science centre so will probably be the most expensive.

Unlike Prime they will be much harder to pop, and Naval stations with lots of defences are going to be a multi turn siege battle if I'm right :thumbsup:
The collected forum saying of the Prophet - the Mecronomicon

Allattar wrote:The princes grow worried and the princesses stir with irritation. They feel you either lack gravitas or are just plain insane. Might we suggest you stop before they rebel?

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Initial science stations are supposed to be pretty cheap. :)

I wonder is all initial stations will be cheap to produce, but the expense is in the upgrading and maintenance.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:10 pm

nighthaunt wrote:Tier 1 and 2 stations may be quite common, but still expensive, although I suspect a Tier 5 station will coast as much, if not more than an LV. Hiver Gate Station at Tier 5 also doubles up as the Gate technology Science centre so will probably be the most expensive.

Well, most people would probably prefer them staying where they are.

But i agree that low level stations are probably going to be fairly common, especially naval stations, while the higher tiers will be much rarer sights, more likely to be found in province capitals and your home system, with the exception of maybe gate and naval stations in strategically important systems.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:28 pm

And that's precisely the whole point of them. Even if they are 10k modules I don't see it pretty micro intensive and I'm sure there's a auto feature on this.
Imagine your own funny quote here.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Does Hiver gate station count at the 'max 4 stations per system' limit?
[edit]loltypo -.-[/edit]
Last edited by jp161 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Maybe. Keep in mind that you don't have to build a Gate station afaik - you can just deploy a CR gate and leave it at that. It may be that Gate stations are going to be limited to those places you really need to keep a gate up and running.

IntrospectiveSpy

Post by IntrospectiveSpy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Well, reading this:

1. A Gateway Station forms a permanent Gate point and integrates the Cruiser which carried the Gate into position into its infrastructure. Its Base Sensors are somewhat weak, but it can support up to 8 additional Modules, including Habitats, Docks, Bastions, Defense batteries, Amplifiers, and Sensors.

Makes me think that when you deploy the gate cruiser, it becomes a gate station automatically.
Proud member of the Legion of Crazy People!

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:50 pm

No, CR gates and Level 1 Gate stations are different things. CR gates don't automatically upgrade to a station when deployed (from here):

Mecron wrote:
GeorgeWhite wrote:i read it more of you can upgrade it to a station.

but not already a station.

still could be wroung.
your are right...fleets carry cruiser gates with them. At a later date a gate station can be built to replace them if wanted.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

EntropyAvatar

Post by EntropyAvatar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:11 pm

jp161 wrote:Does Hiver gate station count at the 'max 4 stations per system' limit?

The limit isn't 4 stations per system, it's one station of each type per system. So a Hiver player will probably end up with 5 stations in his home system.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:12 pm

:thumbsup:

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Sweet!
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:31 pm

EntropyAvatar wrote:
jp161 wrote:Does Hiver gate station count at the 'max 4 stations per system' limit?

The limit isn't 4 stations per system, it's one station of each type per system. So a Hiver player will probably end up with 5 stations in his home system.

D'oh... Sometime I gotta learn to not post stuff just 'cause it just popped in my mind.... :oops:

HitodamaKyrie

Post by HitodamaKyrie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:41 am

Hrm, I was just considering something. That Mirror of Creation station. Something else I read gave me a thought.

Erinys wrote:
*chuckles* Aren't you an antimatter researcher? I would think that answering these equations would be more in your line. All you have to do is posit that I am correct--that fifty percent of the matter and energy in the universe is on the other side of a Menisceal barrier. Once you recognize that the Mirror of Creation is present, its properties have already been pre-observed in many respects. All you have to do is ask yourself how this possible explanation fits in with various observable phenomena and pre-existing theories: the expansion of the universe, cosmic background radiation, quantum entanglement, etc.

Just to try to set you on the right track, however...I think you can take as a given that the Meniscus is the ultimate emitter and absorber.

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17202

Now, I haven't read the surrounding context of that quote, since I found it elsewhere and I don't feel like combing through 20 pages because I'm tired and about to go to bed... But it'd be interesting if the Hivers could bring materials on over from the other side of this Menisceal barrier. It sorta fits in with the mirror theme, eh? Anywho, just a musing.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:40 pm

So, they could use it to fill their anti-matter reserves?

I guess that could work, though it doesn't seem like getting anti-matter is the biggest issue in the AM age, so it seems like a bit of a waste.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”