STATIONS

Moderator: Erinys

Robrecht

Re: STATIONS

Post by Robrecht » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Hmmm,

I suppose that also means that Hivers can have one more station with guns on it per system than the other Empires.

This is, on the whole, not a bad thing. Hivers are the kings (queens?) of defence after all.

Mika

Post by Mika » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Robrecht wrote:Hmmm,

I suppose that also means that Hivers can have one more station with guns on it per system than the other Empires.

This is, on the whole, not a bad thing. Hivers are the kings (queens?) of defence after all.

Princes. :D
(The ladies don't fight, if Hiverly possible)

Additionally, you'd want to strap as much armour and defences as technology allows on a gate since it's the system's only hope of reinforcement in a reasonable timeframe.
Michael, speaking for Boskone

Jarix

Post by Jarix » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:41 am

In the solar system map will stations go in lagrange points or orbit various stellar bodies?

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:37 am

jp161 wrote:D'oh... Sometime I gotta learn to not post stuff just 'cause it just popped in my mind.... :oops:

Don't feel bad. At least you've learned this now. There's an awful lot of people on an awful lot of internet forums that still need to discover this. You are way ahead now.

nighthaunt

Post by nighthaunt » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:22 am

IntrospectiveSpy wrote:Well, reading this:

1. A Gateway Station forms a permanent Gate point and integrates the Cruiser which carried the Gate into position into its infrastructure. Its Base Sensors are somewhat weak, but it can support up to 8 additional Modules, including Habitats, Docks, Bastions, Defense batteries, Amplifiers, and Sensors.

Makes me think that when you deploy the gate cruiser, it becomes a gate station automatically.

You're not alone, lots of people making the same assumption that a gate cruiser automatically deploys into a Tier 1 station. I think its because in the description Arinn states the Tier 1 station is built on top of, and incorporating the gate ship. So depending upon what benefits gate stations at tier 1 or 2 offer compared to a cruiser gate ship (benefits vs building and maintainence costs) you might find that gate stations are either a natural upgrade everywhere for gate ships, or something you consider in vitally important node systems (province capitals etc...) or on the front lines.
The collected forum saying of the Prophet - the Mecronomicon

Allattar wrote:The princes grow worried and the princesses stir with irritation. They feel you either lack gravitas or are just plain insane. Might we suggest you stop before they rebel?

nighthaunt

Post by nighthaunt » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:28 am

jp161 wrote:D'oh... Sometime I gotta learn to not post stuff just 'cause it just popped in my mind.... :oops:

!lol don't worry about it mate, I do the same, especially when I'm sleep deprived from working 12 hour night shifts ;) besides, in SOTS prime there was a limit on stations built according to system population, rather than one per type, so its understandable to take that viewpoint forward as a limiting factor when considering building stations.

I believe a lot of the empire level management and dynamics has changed massively from SOTS prime, not just the provinces that weve heard about, but also the diplomacy, tax, trade and general functions have become more "fleshed out", as Mecron says - deeper but without turning into micro-management ;)

Space empires type games etc... I just lose interest in once I get 10+ planets as I see enough spreadsheets at work, and I prefer relaxing to micromanaging, although that may be me being lazy :roll:

Allattar wrote:The princes grow worried and the princesses stir with irritation. They feel you either lack gravitas or are just plain insane. Might we suggest you stop before they rebel?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Sorry if this was already asked but will I be able to see ships in the dockyard, which are still in the konstrucktion prozess, when I fight? Or will I be able to lock at my systems just to see my beautiful stations?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Not everything is modeled, but I have to admit that I do sometimes spend an inordinately long time just touring around looking at the planets and stations. I like watching my cities light up as the planet turns its back on the sun, and a lot of the stations in the game are just gorgeous.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Jea cool :thumbsup:

Jarix

Post by Jarix » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:12 am

Erinys wrote:Not everything is modeled, but I have to admit that I do sometimes spend an inordinately long time just touring around looking at the planets and stations. I like watching my cities light up as the planet turns its back on the sun, and a lot of the stations in the game are just gorgeous.

--Arinn

This sounds super awesome. Also makes me glad it a turn based game so I'll have time to stare when the mood takes me. :D

amtie

Post by amtie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:43 am

Not sure whether you can just see an inner system during the strategic turn (by zooming in or a special button). Erinys is (I assume) talking about the tactical battle engine, meaning either via the Test combat mode or during an actual combat, or a dev-only feature.

EntropyAvatar

Post by EntropyAvatar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Flying around a tactical view of a system during a strategic turn is definitely a feature I'd like to have, though. It's definitely in the 'eye candy' department, but it would be a shame if you never got to see your stations in their full glory just because no one dared attack your home system...

nighthaunt

Post by nighthaunt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Sounds incredible - only a month and a week or so to go :thumbsup:

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Considering that interplanetary fleet movement is going to be measured in the turn based side as well as the translation of the planets I bet you can zoom in into the system in the strategic turn in order to plan interplanetary movements.

Now it have been stated that rotation is going to be represented on the tactical real time part of the game, so maybe in the strategic turn we see a simplification of the system, like a blue print of it, or "relative" simple graphic representation of the bodies in it, and in combat we get all the goodies like the planet rotating and the lights switching on!

Now the only thing to know is when and how are we going to see the precession and nutation movements :P
Imagine your own funny quote here.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 am

How can someone read this from a dev?

"sometimes spend an inordinately long time just touring around looking at the planets and stations"

...and then come up with this?

"Flying around a tactical view of a system during a strategic turn is definitely a feature I'd like to have, though. It's definitely in the 'eye candy' department, but it would be a shame if you never got to see your stations in their full glory just because no one dared attack your home system..."

OOoooh I hatez se internetz!!!!! :lol:

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”