What is the alternative to "Dark Energy" in SotS?

Moderator: Erinys

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Re: What is the alternative to "Dark Energy" in SotS?

Post by COL Tatticky » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Seeing as all ideas -especially good ones- are recycled, I wouldn't doubt it at all if the Node Drive was inspired by both of those.

The amalgamization of all the best bits of so many classic sci-fi series is a large part of what makes SotS so great! :thumbsup:
Adeptus Astronomica assesment: Psyker, Grade Beta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:00 pm

I'd look a little further back into Sci-Fi history than 2000 - 2005 for the inspiration for the node drive. ;)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Mika

Post by Mika » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Nspace wrote:I'd look a little further back into Sci-Fi history than 2000 - 2005 for the inspiration for the node drive. ;)

Way back:
Hyper Spatial Tube? (lensmen series, E.E. Smith)
Michael, speaking for Boskone

Jabbawocky
Doomsayer

Post by Jabbawocky » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Torezu wrote:I personally like the theory that antimatter has gravitational repulsion with normal matter. It's actually going to be tested soon at the LHC iirc.

Not sure about the LHC, but I know the guys in the ALPHA and ATRAP groups have been working at it for some time, but with limited success. To be honest, I'm not even sure how the ALPHA group are collecting their antimatter (me thinks some sort of collider, since antiprotons are... difficult), but I seem to recall that the ATRAP group are collecting their positrons, using a similar method to myself, from decaying sodium-22 - the yield is incredibly low (due to losses in the system), but it is reliable.

ANYWAY, back on topic: the general consensus in the community at this time is that antimatter will act in more or less the same way as matter when it comes to reacting to gravity - but this *is* science, and experimental/observational evidence takes precedence over theory (or rather it should, but the physics world is a mess of political games as we struggle for the ever dwindling funding :( ). Not that I'm saying that I'm for the dark matter/energy/flow/invisible pink unicorn theory (though the latter does have some merit :D ) - I'm actually a proponent of a theory of one of my old lecturers, called process physics. Curiously enough process physics now has 'slipstream' type things as part of the model, and a number of other fun oddities too :thumbsup:.

Anyway, I've made 4 posts in the last 24 hours, and I'm getting dangerously close to loosing my 'lurker' status :P

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:52 am

My personal favorite explanation of Dark Energy is that it's simply an observational bias resulting from insufficiently analyzing the effects of General Relativity in our bubbly universe. GR math is hard, so modern cosmology pretty much just assumes homogeneity on sufficiently large scales. Some people think they have results that show large differences in time rates between voids and matter concentrations (on the order of 30%), which would significantly affect observations.

I've not had the time to go through the math, but qualitatively it is appealing. Some information on it is available here.

Ryoku

Post by Ryoku » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:22 am

Erinys wrote:
Hari Seldon wrote:But what about whatever it is that is causing the universe's expansion to accelerate?

The universe is breathing.

--Arinn

I so hope this isn't being ironic :D

amtie

Post by amtie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Wait, so the Big Bang was a cough?

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Inhalation.
Nerts to this space-crap!

fibio

Post by fibio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Raspberry
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

mistervec

Post by mistervec » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:39 pm

Having all of that "invisible" matter/energy located within (or beyond) the Meniscus works, I suppose. It would mean that matter/energy that exists in the Meniscus would still have a tangible effect on observable space-time, which raises some interesting possibilities. I take it that the SotS-verse operates on some variant of membrane thory then? Or does it use something more esoteric, like Heim theory to explain things?

While you are, of course, the author and absolute authority on your own work, I am personally in favor of the idea that their entire universe is actually a complex simulation. :)
This message brought to you by:

Mister Vec's Magical Space Haberdashery

"It is cold in the dark depths of space. Remember to wear a hat."

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Energy and matter which are "dark" in the SotS universe--by which we mean non-detectable by telescopes, but can be inferred by observing gravitational lensing and other visible effects--are easily explained by understanding either the Menisceal Principle or the Vitalist Principle.

As for the universe being a complex simulation? You are certainly correct in the strictly technical sense. :P

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Gibimus Prime

Post by Gibimus Prime » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:41 am

I'm sorry, was there an Andromeda reference in the last page? I haven't even thought about Andromeda since the '90s, lol. Good reference.
Someone's dirty, naughty hands have been here.

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Nspace wrote:I'd look a little further back into Sci-Fi history than 2000 - 2005 for the inspiration for the node drive. ;)

The Mote in God's Eye perhaps?

The Alderson drive is not, strictly, a faster-than-light drive: it can more nearly be likened to a device able to use a form of wormhole, whose entry and exit 'Alderson points' are at either end of an 'Alderson tramline'. Alderson points are difficult to find. Alderson tramlines form between points of equipotential thermonuclear flux located near stars. Not all star pairs form Alderson tramlines, and not all those tramlines which do form are large enough to take a spaceship. This means that in order to travel between star systems, it is frequently necessary to carry out a series of Alderson jumps interspersed with periods of travel between Alderson points in normal space...

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:36 am

I just want to say, holy shit, your avatar and nickname are freakin awesome Hari Seldon. I am reading the series currently after my... how you say... rediscovery? of Issac Asimov.

Sorry to go off-topic, I just wanted to say that. :D

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”