Solar system in Sots-verse map : Sol 4 ??

Moderator: Erinys

StrangeWings

Solar system in Sots-verse map : Sol 4 ??

Post by StrangeWings » Thu May 31, 2012 9:18 am

When I play Sots-verse map with humans, they start in solar system. But there is some strange things in the system planets:

- There is a planet called "Sol4" between Earth and Mars, it is some fantasy addition or it is an error?

- Jupiter has only one moon called "JupiterA" instead of the four main moons

- Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are missing (maybe it is intended to because there is a planet number limitation?)

Thank you for your answers

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Solar system in Sots-verse map : Sol 4 ??

Post by Mecron » Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 pm

sol4 is meant to be the moon and will be punished and dragged back at some later date...Jupiter's full number of moons is not viable in a game setting due to scale...See previous answer ;)

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu May 31, 2012 10:21 pm

Mecron wrote:sol4 is meant to be the moon and will be punished and dragged back at some later date...Jupiter's full number of moons is not viable in a game setting due to scale...See previous answer ;)

Oh come on 64 moons... easy peasy! ;p
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

StrangeWings

Post by StrangeWings » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:17 am

Thank you for your answers Mecron! I was thinking maybe with the future departure of Sol4, that at least Saturn can fit its place, so the total number of planets remain the same?

Alehandr WS

Post by Alehandr WS » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:50 pm

I have even more curious question. Why in the world Mars with is MORE HAZARDOUS than Venus?! This blows my mind on so many levels... :(

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 pm

cause its random...seriously...you need your mind recentered if that blows it and there is no "Dude, its a game with random values" circuit breaker in there somewhere.

sob

Post by sob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:05 am

Yep pretty random. I put a colony on mercury once. And then brought it to zero haz record.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Alehandr WS

Post by Alehandr WS » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Mecron wrote:cause its random...seriously...you need your mind recentered if that blows it and there is no "Dude, its a game with random values" circuit breaker in there somewhere.

Yeah, yeah, i know this is purely random numbers based game, it even rolls d6 to check if it will work normally on some PCs.
But just because it's purely based on randomness, it doesn't mean it has to be that inaccurate. :roll:

Ishantil

Post by Ishantil » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Is there a ballpark for what moons are considered viable (Ganymede, Callisto, and Io are all larger than Luna)? I don't really mind one way or another, I'm just curious.
Ishantil
"You're going to be involved, you might as well have the big guns" --Quell

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Titan and Europa are considered the best as far as I can remember. Europa with it's liquid water oceans and Titan with it's atmosphere. Both having acceptable sizes (Titan in particular).
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Ishantil

Post by Ishantil » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:27 pm

I was thinking as "mass to qualify for terraforming"
Ishantil
"You're going to be involved, you might as well have the big guns" --Quell

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Mass to qualify? You will have to explain that. Do you mean enough gravity to retain an atmosphere capable of sustaining Earthlife? In that case it seems we can go as low as Triton (7th moon in size, just behind Europa and Luna), as it appears that it does in fact have weather. Granted, it's atmosphere isn't worth much at 1/70,000th bar.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:30 pm

ale you know that think where you think you are being smart and/or witty? Guess what?

Tar, that mass would not be retaining that weather quite as well in the face of the wind Mercury has to face ;)

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 am

Indeed, there are other factors at play than mere mass. But then again outside brown dwarfs, gas giants (which are the most likely to have moons of that size) are relatively rare at the range of Mercury. :angel:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:05 am

actually no. not according to all the weird planet date we are getting...jupiter masses just outside the stellar atmo seem strangely common

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”