Solar system in Sots-verse map : Sol 4 ??

Moderator: Erinys

Tarrak

Re: Solar system in Sots-verse map : Sol 4 ??

Post by Tarrak » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:36 am

Looked it up... You are right, we have a very high occurance of jovian planets at close ranges. However, I also learned why this appear to be so. It is simply a lot easier to detect the planets when they are big and close to their parent star. While I only managed to look up one source directly, it seemed pretty clear on the distribution of jovian planets close to it's star (begins at 3.3.2, bevare: many sightings of dangerous math), at a relatively small 2.4% with a total of nearly 20% having one within 20 AU. It was way beyond me though.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

sob

Post by sob » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:53 am

on and off topic who here has played universe sandbox. you get to make your own star system.

And in lore what other plants have in the sol system are occupied. I know earth (duh) then there is a presence on mars i know of the military but is there any industry (mines space yard extra)
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:24 pm

The Sol system is becoming more developed in general. Luna is not terraformed, but it has scientific, tourist and civilian facilities. A small diplomatic station orbits Terra, and Mars is being slowly terraformed, and has one of the oldest and largest sector bases in the Human empire in orbit, the newly rebuilt Argos Naval Yard.

Mining facilities exist further out, and a small scientific field station with visitor's quarters has been buit in Jupiter's orbit to study the micronode there; the station is frequently visited by school children and other interested travelers, and includes a large guest hostel and a small but wonderful interactive museum about the discovery of Nodespace and the principles of Node physics.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Erinys wrote:A small diplomatic station orbits Terra, and Mars is being slowly terraformed, and has one of the oldest and largest sector bases in the Human empire in orbit, the newly rebuilt Argos Naval Yard.

Very interesting. So does SolForce have any more substantial diplomatic stations elsewhere, or is it a minor consideration at this point for the leadership? And of course, with Argos being only one sector base, where would any 'competitor' be?
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

sob

Post by sob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 am

Pretty cool. Ok got some more questions on the sol system.

Are there space city's where more than a few 100 thousand civilians. Or are all those facilities on some sort of sold ground.

What sort of system defense dose the sol system have. With a sector base it can house allot of defense platforms and stations

In terms of lore how long till the solforce can launch another leviathan using the day of the raid has day zero.

Dose the solforce use space elevators.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Belisareus

Post by Belisareus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Actually, the above posts made me wonder:

Which system is the most heavily industrialised one amongst the 6 races? And to which faction does it belong to?

I assume that the Hiver Home System should be quite heavily industrialised considering that the Hivers spend centuries colonising it before successfully venturing out to the stars and setting up new colonies?

sob

Post by sob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:01 pm

My money is on the zuul

CPO Mzinyati

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:39 am

sob wrote:My money is on the zuul

They don't strike me as being terribly industrious. They cobble stuff together, but don't build a whole lot of their own. I'm sticking with the Hivers too.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:48 am

Belisareus wrote:Actually, the above posts made me wonder:

Which system is the most heavily industrialised one amongst the 6 races? And to which faction does it belong to?

I assume that the Hiver Home System should be quite heavily industrialised considering that the Hivers spend centuries colonising it before successfully venturing out to the stars and setting up new colonies?

In general I try not to get into these details too much, as it creates design problems for the maps. In terms of fiction only? Yes, assume that Tcho'to'Pre is well developed and thoroughly exploited, as is Kao'Kona system.

--Arinn

Belisareus

Post by Belisareus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Erinys wrote:
Belisareus wrote:Actually, the above posts made me wonder:

In general I try not to get into these details too much, as it creates design problems for the maps. In terms of fiction only? Yes, assume that Tcho'to'Pre is well developed and thoroughly exploited, as is Kao'Kona system.

--Arinn

Thanks a lot Arinn. I was inquiring Lore wise.

What happened to ANY after the LV was hijacked? Was it destroyed? In the intro, we could hear the screams of the people in there.

What measures has SolForce taken to avoid a repeat, especially considering that the SF Command is on Mt Olympus, and the diplomatic nightmare of the SFS 101 attacking hiver space?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:53 pm

The screams are not the result of physical damage. The Hidden wanted to play; he was wrestling for control of as many minds as possible. In the end he had to be satisfied with breaking the men and women aboard the S.F.S. Leviathan and fleeing before the enemy could regroup and mount an armed response.

--Arinn

sartha

Post by sartha » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Well there's no "limit" that I can see so far as number of planets and orbits... I created a more realistic Sol system just for fun that has 20 orbits (not all have something) looks like this (size in brackets along with M for moon, G for gas giant or P for planet):
1 Mercury (4 P)
2 Venus (10 P)
3 Earth (10 P) + Luna (3 M)
4 Mars (5 P)
5 ---
6 ---
7 Asteroid Belt + Ceres (1 M)
8 ---
9 --- (roughly where the jump nodes are located and thus the end of the tactical grid)
10 Jupiter (20 G? not sure if size affects gas giants) + Io (3 P) + Europa (2 P) + Ganymede (4 M) + Callisto (4 M)
11 ---
12 ---
13 Saturn (19 G?) + Tethys (1 M) + Dione (1 M) + Rhea (1 M) + Titan (4 P) + Iapetus (1 M)
14 ---
15 ---
16 Uranus (14 G?) + Ariel (1 M) + Umbriel (1 M) + Titania (1 M) + Oberon (1 M)
17 ---
18 Neptune (14 G?) + Triton (2 M)
19 ---
20 Kuiper Belt + Pluto (2 P) + Charon (1 M, orbiting pluto) + Quaoar (1 M) + Salacia (1 M) + 2002 MS4 (1 M) + Haumea (1 M) + Makemake (1 M) + Eris (2 M) + 2007 OR10 (1 M) + 2002 TC302 (1 M) + Sedna (1 M)

The way I determined size was based on real size (except for gas giants) for example 10 is 1 Earths, while Venus is 0.95 earths so I rounded to 1 earths (size 10). I basically included everything from ~0.06 earths and up. For the gas giants I took their "earths size" and modified as follows: Jupiter is ~20 earths so size 20... Uranus is ~ 14 earths so size 14... again I don't know if size affects gas giants in game, I haven't bothered to check that. I did verify size affects moons though.

I further modified the system so that mars is the only one to have a chance to be colonizable at the start of the game, not sure about late game though. This system is still rather unbalanced because there's so much room for mining stations but that's ok, humans need all the help they can get in this game.

I haven't tried more than 20 orbits since I don't really see the point, pluto and beyond are all kuiper belt objects so it makes sense to throw them all into the kuiper belt orbit.

I still occasionally see a "Sol 5" created so I'm thinking the game has issues placing random planets in defined systems.

Anyways, just to say that it IS possible, no real limits that I can see, just lots of fun to be had in my overly huge solar system >.> (shudders at the thought of Loa taking that system...)

Return to “The Galactic Atlas”