Modding Picture of the day.

Moderator: Makail

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Modding Picture of the day.

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:30 am

*Yawns*. More work.

Liir is almost done. Just got a few more sections to add as well as converting the construction ship into a section instead of a dedicated vessel like I did with Solforce.

Early game the Liir have Psi-enabled cruisers which while structurally weaker than the other factions, allows for some interesting micro if one so desires. Psi will always have its limitations but it is a severe damage boost for the Liirian AI as they don't have nearly as many restrictions on them.
They also turn more or less instantly and their ship speeds are identical to one another as long as they share the same engine type (for anything CR or larger) so keeping a formation is easy and responding to surprise attacks is simple due to their rapid turning ability.

They have almost no medium mounts barring the Prestor Zuul Battleriders which now require a tech to unlock. This lets them focus on light and heavy mount weapon techs but this means that most Liirian ships either have a lot of PD or none at all.

They have the second best set of battleriders out of all of the factions though their drones are "generic". They retain their BattleCruisers and Battleships which while not terribly well armored and lacking in structure compared to actual CRs and DNs, contain a lot of firepower and depending on the section, do have access to medium mounts. Indeed, BattleCruisers are the only way for the Liir to access Assault Shuttles.

The Liir are terrible at destroying colonies in the early game like most factions, relying on the non-tracking torpedoes to do that as they don't get their assault shuttles until a bit later.

Midgame they get a large boost due to their DNs which have immense firepower due to their lack of medium mounts "lowering" their potential. The DNs share the usual trait of near-instant turning speeds though are slow compared to the other factions. They gain access to the "crusade" CnC section in the DN era which is basically an improved protectorate ship which doesn't need research. Their normal DN CnC ship is the only shielded DN in the game with twice the shield strength of CR variants.

Lategame they are one of the strongest factions though they rely heavily on their battleships for this alongside their research speed advantages. While their LVs are weaker than the other factions due to almost all of them being carriers of some sort, a fully armed late-game Liirian Crusade fleet can field more larger ships than any other faction, even more so than the Zuul.

Inbuilt Psi abilities are restricted to the CR range. There will be a Psi CnC ship (for all factions) but this is as of yet not made.
And no, you can't build The Black. At least by default - it can be modded in as I've updated him.

------------------
Due to AI using them, finally figured out how the corrosive (and nano) damage works.
Every tick of game time, it does the damage set in <DOT>*</DOT> to one bit of armor then spreads in an even line across the entire ship as long as that section is within the cloud. Once all armor is gone, it will then do that same damage per tick to the structure of the ship. Not sure how it determines which section to damage, but its usually the engine which takes damage first.
This has let me fine-tine these two missiles to make them more useful when compared to the other types PH offers.

Looks like I've got a rouge atmosphere hiding in the commonassets file again.

Battleships were always scary. With PH's updated weapons, they are even more so. Granted, they won't live long under fire.
Sword of the Stars 2 - Project Hiver modder - work in progress.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:40 pm

I know, its been a fair amount of time since I've posted anything here. Unusual, isn't it?

Well I've been facing a threat to my house, my life and my family. Suffice to say, I've had zero time to do anything but freak out and attempt to avoid numerous mental breakdowns.

However the results of today have mostly eliminated that, so I can calm back down and focus on more trivial things.

I'm still unsure as to how to actually do it, but I've been considering taking one of the factions (probably Morrigi, Hivers or Takas) and redesigning them from "scratch", or as much as SOTS2 allows. Having a faction which plays utterly different from the normal sounds like it might revive my interest in the game, as recently (due to above events) its been hard to convince myself to create anything at all. Even my VN has been suffering.

The Loa is a good example of twisting the norms, but it didn't go far enough. But, ehh... I just don't know if its in my capacity to actually pull it off to an interesting enough degree. It is much easier to say something than it is to actually do it.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:29 pm

You could try writing/drawing it out on paper first to get a feel for the actual amount of work needed. Then you can judge if you want/are able to do it a bit more accurately.

Anywho, I thought the idea was to finish PH first then maybe look at more exotic undertakings. It's your mod though, so don't let me kill whatever momentum you may be building.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Lord Primus

Post by Lord Primus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:24 am

For my Loa mod, I am making every ship CnC capable. But each section will have different capacity depending on its mounts (the idea being the more complex the mounts the less Loa left to control other ships).

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Wouldn't that mess with the AI? Hmm.

Slash, you're right but at the same time, I don't like the idea of having a faction be released with pretty much zero changes from vanilla simply because they are the only faction I never use. (Tarkas.)
I'm going to be away next week and won't have access to my PC (Only laptop and it'll be on a mobile data internet), so I was considering using that time to try and determine what'd be the best course of action.

First impressions matter and while I know I've got a reputation as never releasing anything, I'd prefer it if PH is released in a state where its quite clear that this was worth what, 4 years of my modding time?

I just don't know what to do with the Tarkas, and its frustrating me. If only I could point turret mounts where I wanted them to - heck, I was considering at one point making a custom mount type for the Tarkas which doesn't use turrets.

/sighs

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:46 am

its time to actually add some pictures!

Today's Fleet Song is Vs Elite Four Remix.

For the disconcerting fleet admiral who wants to go big or go home, three new Interceptor Missiles have arrived.

Normal Interceptors (simply called Interceptors): Short range, high damage, average rate of fire. Light mounts only.
Interceptor LR (Long Range): Long range, high damage, very slow rate of fire. Light mounts only.
Polaris Interceptor: A polaris-sized missile which can destroy any other non-IOBM missile on contact.
IOBM Interceptor: Who doesn't want to see an IOBM crash into another IOBM?

Updated the tech entry to reflect the two larger interceptor missile sizes.

Shh! No! I swear I'm not secretly arming the target dummies...

Heavy IOBMs have made a return under the Armageddon name. They are attached to the Antimatter and Reflex Warhead techs which are far, far more expensive due to missiles being effective by default.

Factions wanting to dedicate towards missiles now have a viable weapon option - Light, Medium and Heavy mount Rocket Launchers. Essentially unguided missiles Ala Dumb-fire rack style.

----------
Now, as for why the Rocket Launchers (or whatever name I come up with) are not using the Rapid Fire missile's turret model, it is because they do not directly point at the target. As these are not tracking (they are bolts, this also stops PD from hitting them), they refused to fire otherwise.

I've redone the Fleet Templates again, as it turns out CARRIER does not mean Battlerider Carrier. The AI is sending fleets with no capacity to hold BRs but they still spawn in combat. Once destroyed, the fleet is stuck and can no longer move on the strategic layer. I've removed all dedicated BR entries for now.

I had the new HIOBM missiles marked as Detonating. This lead to an interesting side effect - they'd fire where I selected then detonate right there and then. I may do this with certain missiles like the Corrosive and Nanite.

AI Rebellions now have a 0% chance of occurring. They will only occur if you decide to boost\bribe the research and it causes an accident.
This allows me to make the AI command section more viable as a section choice, especially since its not really a risk to go for it anymore.
The AI slavery and the related techs will remain, just in case.

Right now my goal is to complete Solforce and the Liirian Crusade. Once they've gotten all of the ship sections I want, will ensure the Zuul is competitive and updated enough and that should be enough for me to do a release "As is". I'd like to get Loa updated as well, but I'll just have to use what I've done in the past with them for now.

-----------
Overall Status:

Solforce: 95% complete - just have to add in a few more CnC sections
Liirian Crusade: 90% complete - Have to add in the extra CnC sections but I also want to see about making a new LV for them.
Hivers: 0% complete - relying purely on whatever old content used to be there.
Morrigi: 0% complete - relying purely on whatever old content used to be there.
Tarkas: 0% complete - I've never touched this race...
Zuul: 50% complete - I had completed the CRs and had just started work on the DNs.
Loa: 10% complete - relying mostly on whatever old content I had for them, but they were always one of the two super factions so they should be worth fighting against.

Weapons-
Energy: I am not happy with the cannon weapons at all. Everything else seems fine.
Super Weapons: I've added enough of these for now.
Ballistics: I've got some cleaning up to do and have to add a few missing types, but should not be hard - mostly just busywork.
Torpedoes: They are complete.
Missiles: I think with what I added above, the missile tree is complete.

-------
EDIT

I'm sorry Marginalia, but I couldn't figure out how to enable nor re-purpose you... so I took its space. SOTSpedia entries can be a fair bit longer now.

Note: All of my UI edits require 1920x1080 to work, or higher.
I'll have to see about making a laptop safe version eventually. Can't save the game for example if the button isn't selectable.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Well I got sick again while away for the week. I seem to have an issue that due to all of this stress I'm constantly under that its now a physical problem as well.

----------------------
DNs were melting too quickly considering their costs. The baseline structure rating is now 10,000 for each DN section with factional differences either increasing or decreasing it. Armor ratings are also improved across the entire DN line.

Progress on the Liir has continued. Its really weird to have so many heavy and light mounts with no mediums.

Yes, I did save before this battle after all. That massive VN vs Locust vs Liir encounter still has FPS drops but it is getting more manageable considering its scale - this time I changed most of their torpedoes into actual bolts. You're not going to shoot down that many things anyway with PD.

----------------------
I've updated the armor listing again, this time hopefully for the last time. I ditched the BSOTS idea since SOTS2 doesn't really support it and returned to the 4 armors being linear upgrades again all in the same section group.

Right now the armor layout is:
Cast Armor (No armor selected) - clearly nothing special here.
Welded Armor Plating - 3 extra layers of armor, minor ballistic deflection chance.
Crafted Armor Plating - 6 extra layers of armor, slightly better ballistic deflection chance.
Resonating Armor Plating - 9 extra layers of armor, somewhat average ballistic deflection chance.
Neutronium Armor Plating - 9 extra layers of armor, 3 permanent armor layers and a good deflection chance.

Neutronium (Addy) was cut down to 9 layers to to help prevent the larger armor ratings of some ships from going over the limit and making the ship have no armor at all. As I don't want AP to be super dominant as a ballistic choice due to deflection, the deflection rates are not nearly as high as they make out. But they are there.

Bulwarks have also been updated. Cruiser sized ones provide 1000 structure points while DN sized ones give 4000. Should make them an option instead of simply going for the usual of more dakka.

Corrosive and Nanite (including the polaris and IOBM variants) now have an additional version which is exactly the same but has the Detonating attribute. This allows you to fire at locations in space instead of directly at a ship for more control. The usual versions are marked with \AUTO while the ones that you control are marked with \MAN.

I am considering making Welded armor (Poly) not be a starting tech, but I'm not sure if I can do that as its a root node. I'd like to since there's no reason not to use it, so its a little too good as a starting tech. Not doing it yet because anything that messes with the tech tree requires a new save, and I'm using my current one to deal with the Liir update.

Next thing I'm focusing on (depending on my mood) is to get deflection\reflection more streamlined instead of being all over the place like it currently is. Reflective should for example deflect about 10% of laser fire while improved reflective (I need a new name for that) should be about 25%.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:05 am

Unrelated image of a newly updated Solforce DN vs a newly updated Liirian Crusade LV.

------------------------
Loa now has working COL weaponry. Either they were not supposed to be able to research and use the ship designs in regards to COL or something occurred elsewhere, but they have no models for any of the COL projectiles (and they were missing a grav mine model). I've copied Solforce's into the Loa's weapon model folder and they now actually function as advertised.

Not that anyone uses COL, but meh.

Jaeger missiles are getting a pass. As they don't work in the weapon test (like a few other things such as COL), testing them is a slow process but their essentially system-wide range has given them a nice role within how PH is currently set up - they do good damage and can absorb quite a lot of PD fire.

I've made the decision that all dedicated missile sections (the Heavy Missile and Polaris ones for DNs and CRs) will launch two missiles per hardpoint instead of one. Missiles are not the lethal killers they are in the base game, numbers tend to be more important due to the various kinds of PD weaponry.

New weapons being prototyped are Mine Launchers (why drop a mine when you can throw them at something?) and a 5th "super weapon" to finish the superweapon branch of the energy tree as I don't want to waste time making a "super drone" as the current description states - there's plenty of very powerful drones around simply by advancing to the Antimatter and reflex eras, and even fusion-era drones are far superior to anything in the base game.

Lord Primus

Post by Lord Primus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Rossinna-Sama,

You mentioned about making your Welded Armour not a starting tech. I tested dummy techs a while back and this may allow you to do that.
Simply create a hidden dummy tech in front of the welded armour and in theory it should work.

I have no saved games in use so will test the theory shortly.

Lord Primus

Post by Lord Primus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:44 pm

Right.

I have tested putting a dummy in front of the starting tech and it worked. This meant adding the dummy tech into the techtree file and changing the root node in the common assets file. I could research Polysilicate Alloy as any other tech. Small side effects however.

If you clicked the industry branch icon to jump to that branch, the camera centers over the middle of the tech circle (the branch ends up behind you).
If you use the scroll left or right buttons it bypasses the branch jumping to the one either side of that.

You have to directly click the tech itself to focus on it.

Even having researched the tech, this still is in effect. Its a minor annoyance as long this is the only starting tech you do it with. It appears the camera uses the root node as its focal point.

It occurs to me, that it could be possible to label another tech in that tree as the root node and have Polysilicate Alloy as a branch from it. This should avoid the above side effects except the camera might be up in the air a bit more than normal (tech choice dependant). This assumes you have an alternative tech you are happy to start with. Zero-G Deconstruction might be a good choice.

Hope this helps.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 am

All I did was switch the root node to Liquid Polysteel (which I'll rename later) and redid the tech tree so it had the non-armor related stuff and linked to polysteel. Seems to be working fine, camera even scrolls directly to it.

May potentially do the same with the PSI and Cyb trees, unsure as of yet. I almost never research anything in the cyb tree anyway so that's going to get a look at in any case.

---------
EDIT - sometimes the camera does not scroll, but it also sometimes does. /shrugs

Updated the Cybernetic tree. Its the only directly linear research tree now, and I've improved some of it to make it more interesting - albeit is is still not something you research early on.

Bio tree now has the Biological Transfer as its root node and starting tech - I prefer this over the terraforming bacteria. Loa don't care about it as they don't have a biome colony ship anyway. Biological weapons are enabled again but I've still not really gone through them as of yet.

Nanite missiles are researchable again after I accidentally set them to Loa only.

I also cleaned up the industrial tree - there's a few more techs able to be researched from the start such as Vacuum preservation. However the more advanced stuff is locked behind Antimatter requirements.

There's nothing I can really do with the Psi tree that I've not already done, due to Psi being a major cause of most crashes.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 am

Welp, forced myself to do a 'production run', to get all of those things which I need for a release... actually done. And apart from ballistics, they now are (I think).

----------
Additions: (Unless otherwise noted, these are for Solforce only at the moment.)

Psionic Command - New CR and DN sized CnC ship with inbuilt Psi capacity and the otherwise unresearchable Psi Reflect and Psi Movement Psi abilities.
Drone Carrier CnC - been in the tech tree for ages, now finally implemented.
Battlerider Carrier CnC - Same as above, for both CR and DN size.
Flagship CnC tech - Far, far more expensive as flagships are only matched by LVs in how many ships they can command. And they outperform all other CnC vessels anyway.
Kelvinic Cannon - for all factions, the Kelvinic cannon replaces the defunct Inertial cannon.
VH Kelvinic cannon - Same as above but following the PH method of cannon tech progression.
Propaganda Vessel - now attached to the correct tech.
Police Vessel - now attached to correct tech. Gained a large speed bonus for the Solforce variant.
Locust Studies - Tech now provides a highly experimental Quantum Torpedo for use on SuperHeavy sized mounts.
The System Killer (research item) - No longer requires any previous Siege-class mount to have been carried out to field the new weapon. (Changed requirements to add in a new group for Siege.)

Thermal Flak (blaster pd) has had its damage fixed from 2515 to 15. :|
Small Scale fusion now increases speed of all Rider types by 200%. Makes a large difference in drone effectiveness.
Antimatter and Reflex Warheads are re-enabled. Their cost is very, very high however since I can't scale how much of a damage bonus they provide.

Bio Tech tree has been rebalanced - slightly slower start but more effective progression.

All Leviathans which are not of the base type (Leviathan itself) now requires Advanced Leviathan Engineering. Cost increased.
All DN sections which are not the basic ones now require Advanced Dreadnought Engineering. Cost increased.

Almost a hundred balance tweaks to the various weapons. Weapons which should not be visible, now are not.

An example of what's going on with Solforce\Humanity at present.

While I don't consider it important, I'm going to do a string creation run probably tomorrow to name all of the weapons again. Depending on mood, may also get back to work on ballistics.
For the record, I will not be putting ship names and ship descriptions into the strings file until much, much later. That is a ton of work all to remove that little *, and it'll just slow everything else down.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Hey rossina, its been a while since i came here the nalst time and its amazing to see you still going ! and iam sorry for your RL trouble...
It seems like solforce and liirian crusade are almost finished.
If you would like to do a testgame with those 2 factions against me, id be up for it.
keep on rocking,
blue

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Keep on trucking Rossina. Looking good!
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:52 pm

BlueInstinct wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 pm
Hey rossina, its been a while since i came here the nalst time and its amazing to see you still going ! and iam sorry for your RL trouble...
It seems like solforce and liirian crusade are almost finished.
If you would like to do a testgame with those 2 factions against me, id be up for it.
keep on rocking,
blue
Solforce is a lot more finished than the Liirian Crusade, but the LC should still have plenty of new things and features to play around with when I do the release. Which as I'll warn in the new thread is that it is an alpha at best. As for MP, don't know at this point in time.
Slashman wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 pm
Keep on trucking Rossina. Looking good!
I'm trying, its just getting harder to keep my interest.

----------
New weapon (ammo) type - Planetary Bombardment Rounds. Due to ballistics being much more specialized than energy weapons, they now have a non-siege mount option towards dealing with planets.

Don't know these work as of yet, but these are Planetary Bomardment rounds with additional biological payloads depending on which type you pick. Though I'll probably disallow it from being the Assimilation Plague.

Ballistics now have an option to put into both HCL mounts as well as a non-impactor type for the Super Heavy mounts.

Ballistic Torpedoes are now properly implemented as a viable alternative to the energy based variants.

-
Ballistics in PH are supposed to be specialized into their certain role but are easily able to be refitted towards the different types of ammo.
Ballistics also scale a lot better then energy weapons in this regard as they can gain up to 125% damage bonuses, 75% rate of fire increase and a 50% velocity increase. So while there are advanced types of ballistics, even your starting ships fitted with ballistics will scale quite well later on into the game.

-
I think I'm done with the ballisitics apart from making the entries for the cannon-type rounds and their various types of ammo for it. Every tech in the tree barring COL has a function in some ways, so all that's left barring COL and the cannon ammo types is to clean up the tech tree requirements.

I'm also going to see if I can prevent Loa from even seeing the ballistic tree, but I don't think it'll work. If it does, I may also prevent them from getting the missile tree but that's even more doubtful. (Loa in PH is supposed to be almost purely energy based, them using ballistics and missiles is literally them throwing pieces of themselves at hostile opponents which... is a little extreme. ;) )

----
EDIT:
Well I wasn't expecting it to work yet it seems to be - don't know how the AI will handle it though.

Loa no longer have any access to Ballistics or the Biological tree. They do not show up and you can't scroll to them.
I checked the other factions and they do have access to those trees still - that's where I thought it'd play up but it didn't.

This has opened up a few other things I'm going to investigate - if I can more properly mess around with the tech side, I might be able to actually make a new tech tree. Actually pulling that off though will take some more time to figure out how to attempt to do such without it crashing.

If I can make a new tree, that will let me optimally make the energy-based missile tree I want for the Loa, but my hopes for it working fully is not terribly high as I know there's a lot of tech-related stuff that's hard-coded.

Return to “Modding”