Modding Picture of the day.

Moderator: Makail

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Modding Picture of the day.

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Rossina, that is some very nice work. Too bad you are so far away in the world. While I don't agree with every change you make I am impressed with the thought behind them. That is a trait of an excellent designer.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Are there not tools for long distance collaboration between developers? Is the distance that much of a factor? Because personally, I'd be really interested to see a game that RS helped to design/develop.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:40 am

design work is 24/7 and hands on.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:26 am

Crap. Well it was a nice thought anyway.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Perhaps in 2019 when I've recovered enough to be able to defeat my agoraphobia. Its really hard to trust other people right now when every time I step out of my bedroom, I'm expecting to get stabbed by a neighbor. In any case, depending on how open SOTSHD is when\if its released, I wouldn't be surprised if I use that as a platform. Not encountered any other game as of yet that I'd repurpose to my own ends - apart from SOTS2\MARS2 but I can't do what I want to do with its protected pipeline and lack of tools.

-------------------
I can just imagine the fleet admiral yelling to himself "COME BACK HERE YOU!".

Anywho, I'm back in my GM\Random test match as taking a break from the Tarkas as clearly I need to figure out a few more things before I proceed- their FTL speeds being a major thing I need to determine.

Kelvinic Cannons are also getting replaced by another type, though what type that is yet, I don't know. I guess that's why Kerb only had Kelvinic Torpedoes, as they are easily one of the most powerful weapons in the game and if I ever play Vanilla again, I'll be experimenting with them there too.
While they act normally against ships with an unbreached armor matrix, they quickly cause damage against structure to be ramped up. Think of it this way, a Kelvinic-armed cruiser can destroy a 250,000 structure leviathan within about 20 seconds once the armor matrix is gone. That's just far too powerful for a mainline weapon system.

As the above screenshot shows, when my fleet eventually catches the Gardener (I reduced its speed to 0.5 LY per turn to allow this), I've set its bonuses much higher to see if they actually work. I've also re-armed the GM, albeit it is only PD weapons right now but if the Gardener actually is working as advertised, I'll do a proper pass on it.

The AI opponent is still going fairly well; its still building the occasional Propaganda ship which is irritating me as its a waste of a slot but I can solve that by making the associated tech something the AI doesn't research at all. The only major bug right now is that Battleriders in an AI fleet sometimes don't cause their attending fleet to be disbanded or destroyed if everything barring the Battleriders is destroyed (quite often due to Scout BRs running away), which causes a fleet to be stuck there permanently with a -27247432 or something shown as its arrival time. There's no way I can solve this error, and considering what causes it, it almost assuredly would be in the vanilla game too- its just that the vanilla AI rarely uses fleets with Battleriders.

I am also considering seeing if I can add a few more Command sections for DNs, as there's only three viable ones right now since pretty much no one will waste the time researching out of the way techs to get the EW section, and the model for the AI command for Solforce's DN's turret mounts are placed in a way where they'd look really silly if upsized to heavy mounts.
Sword of the Stars 2 - Project Hiver modder - work in progress.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:51 pm

As far as the EW section, if it had more worthwhile techs on the way I'd love it even more. As it is, it's actually a section I research almost every game even so. The hugely expanded visual range and anti-missile ECM is incredibly useful for planetary sieges. I normally stick it on my Logistics DN and let that one just kinda sit in the middle of my fleet and be passively useful.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Talverin wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:51 pm
As far as the EW section, if it had more worthwhile techs on the way I'd love it even more. As it is, it's actually a section I research almost every game even so. The hugely expanded visual range and anti-missile ECM is incredibly useful for planetary sieges. I normally stick it on my Logistics DN and let that one just kinda sit in the middle of my fleet and be passively useful.
I admit that I used to think that too, there's a fully functional CR version in PH for Solforce as well that I added. But even in my test match right now, I've not unlocked it. Every turn is precious and deviating to pick up techs which can't be used in any other manner just makes the AI get further ahead.

My laptop can't handle SOTS2 unfortunately due to this game's heavy demands on CPU so I can't test the less visible things such as if Thermal Coating, Sensor Jamming and so on actually function without having a way to verify the differences. If there's enough of a request I can see if I can limit the required techs some more but, ehh.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Been attempting some tweaks on Asteroids to help with FPS issues. No results so far, sadly.

The Reflex-Era Sword of the Stars LV covered in my (at this point) trademark bloom.

I've acquired the Gardener as my fleet finally caught up with it. Just got to deal with the AI's constant attacks while it moves to my homeworld to see if it does anything or not.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 pm

No pictures yet, my focus has been diverted elsewhere recently. What I did do though is focus more on the AI.

Global cost of DN size CnC vessels reduced 25%.
Global cost of DN Flagship CnC reduced by 60%.
This was done in order to prevent AI players bankrupting themselves if not playing on the very hard difficulty.

AI research goals changed again;
AI is now reluctant to get Flagship technology until its done with other things due to the flagships cost.
AI has a lesser priority to go for Leviathan technology (apart from Zuul) due to the cost of leviathans.
AI is now considerably more interested in production boosting technologies.
AI tends to avoid techs which don't provide much value for it until later into the game.
AI will now almost utterly ignore certain techs to ensure it doesn't build things it shouldn't be building.
Tech Values which only the AI use in its calculations have been altered.
This is a large increase in the power and viability of all AI players since there's no trade in PH due to how badly it impacts turn loading times. You shouldn't see them wasting ship slots on Propaganda ships anymore for example as they no longer research that tech unless its literally one of the last ones in the game left for them to get. The increase in production also increases their income so they should be able to sustain their fleets for a longer period of time and be more willing to actually make the ships they prototype.

AI factional research:
Solforce AI no longer beelines towards DNs in the early game due to the costs of DNs in Project Hiver.
Instead they use Solforce's innate shielding bonus and get some of the more advanced shielding techs early on and then start transitioning towards DNs.
Solforce AI will almost always research their starting engine tech first.
There's almost no reason not to, its quite cheap and FTL speed is a major factor of how well an AI can perform.
Zuul AI no longer has any research goals apart from techs which wouldn't benefit them.
This should make every mach with a Zuul a unique tech experience as each one of them will go for a different route.

Other AI tweaks:
Hivers field additional construction fleets over the other factions.
Liirian Crusade fleets may include biomissile CRs and DNs since they now start with Plague research already done. (Faction trait due to having limited access to assault shuttles.)
Liirian Crusade AI tends to favor the Crusade CnC choices.
This allows them to more often use their factional advantage in having early 'protectorate' ships.

With these changes, the AI is finally becoming a serious threat and since there's pretty much no upkeep costs for the player, this is also as fair as it can be since the AI didn't pay upkeep anyway.

EDIT -
Did some work on the Liirian Crusade again. While mostly just tweaks to their material file again, there was some early game stuff that's now fixed and they now start with a proper survey fleet with their usual single supply ship since they don't have as much supply ratings as the other factions.

Liirian Crusade Crusade vessel (Thier main CnC ship, though they still have access to the 'strikeforce' one.)

Liirian Crusade Dreadnought.

Liirian Crusade Invasion Leviathan.

Liirian Crusade Fleet Colony ship (Superheavy transport LV)

Prestor Zuul BR. (Note that all Prestor Zuul stuff now requires it to be researched.)

Prestor Zuul BC.

Prestor Zuul Projector Battleship.

Prestor Zuul Heavy Assault Shuttle.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Very impressive RS as always.

It would be kind of nice just to get those base AI improvements into the vanilla game as a small mod to be honest.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Slashman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 pm
Very impressive RS as always.

It would be kind of nice just to get those base AI improvements into the vanilla game as a small mod to be honest.
Most of them should be possible. Its just the fleet templates which provide the largest hurdle as if the AI doesn't have the needed tech to make that ship, it will crash the game. Can't have fleet templates with battleriders for example if the tech isn't a starting one.

If I find myself with spare time on the weekend, I'll see if I can conjure something up. Though since I'll have the kids over, I can't promise anything.
-----------------------
Kinetic IOBMs may not have a unique model, but they still look as dangerous as they are when they slam into a ship at such high speeds.

A fully armed and teched out (apart from a few super high cost techs) Reflex-Era DN Battlerider carrier fleet.

Why did I make tractor beams PD again..? :?:

They do make for an incredible light show however as they have quite a large lighting radius assigned to their muzzle effect. Which I could edit those...

And that's the impact effect of a tractor beam. It... doesn't look very friendly, now does it?
I'm probably going to make it a reflex-era Heavy Beam weapon since right now, Heavy beams stop at the Meson Beam which is Antimatter.

Since this is an older save, most of the AI improvements are not here. Still, its putting up a good fight.

That moment when you fear a flagship lives up to its namesake.

AI is fielding Battleriders quite a lot now, which is good. Of course since I did pick black AI vs my white color scheme... its hard to tell who's who.
I may alter the default Solforce's material file slightly to prevent that.

If I ever get my hands on SOTS3 or SOTSHD and its moddable enough, I fully plan on making entire systems covered with asteroids instead of one or two asteroid belts in a system.

Pink and purple always were the most dangerous colors. :googly:

They almost look heroic.

I bumped my Numlock button while taking screenshots and... you know, I never knew you could unlock the sensor view's camera?

Doubt I'll make much use of that though, doesn't seem to be much point.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Most of them should be possible. Its just the fleet templates which provide the largest hurdle as if the AI doesn't have the needed tech to make that ship, it will crash the game. Can't have fleet templates with battleriders for example if the tech isn't a starting one.

If I find myself with spare time on the weekend, I'll see if I can conjure something up. Though since I'll have the kids over, I can't promise anything.
You don't have to prioritize it or anything. It was just a thought. But I'd be mighty grateful if you could at some point since I think PH is going to be cooking for a good while yet.

Man I would kill for a new SOTS 4x to play with.

Return to “Modding”